background on Earth society pre doomsday?

Pang_Dread

I've done some digging around the main site and such on the Lore and background of the game about the Earth being wiped out the Ark ships but couldn't really find anything on what life was like in the years leading up to the announcement of the impending doom and the years during after until the great exodus.

Stuff like government structures, Democracy still in place?, Corporations take over? Societal and cultural sects and classes, viewpoints, stuff like that. Would really help I think build better back stories and such for our characters.  

I've done some digging around the main site and such on the Lore and background of the game about the Earth being wiped out the Ark ships but couldn't really find anything on what life was like in the years leading up to the announcement of the impending doom and the years during after until the great exodus.

Life was like "real" life, nowadays, I guess...

Wasn't it?

Life was like "real" life, nowadays, I guess...

Wasn't it?

Well i didn't the earth get destroyed around year 2537 (if i remember correctly). I am guessing the arkships left just before that so what i think that Pang_Dread wants to know is what happens between years 2016 to 2537.

That's a lot of time to fill in but I imagine the years leading up to Earth's destruction were pretty apocalyptic. What with the impending doom of the planet, anyone with no way off is going to go pretty berserk. It's a wonder they even got the Arkships constructed at all, considering anyone without a ticket knows they're probably toast!

There is definitely a huge gap in the lore there, but that just means we get to fill it in with our own fan fiction. I wouldn't be opposed to NQ giving us some pointers though, if everybody has vastly different histories of Earth that isn't very fun to keep track of...

There is definitely a huge gap in the lore there, but that just means we get to fill it in with our own fan fiction. I wouldn't be opposed to NQ giving us some pointers though, if everybody has vastly different histories of Earth that isn't very fun to keep track of...

That's up to each player and organization or loose group however then.

My point being: "Don't complain about it the more crazy your own "gap filler story" becomes."

Your best or safest bet is to keep it rough. We can't really tell how the world may develop in roughly 500 years and especially in the face of doom. We know there's some large conflicts and problems that we will face in the next decades or century but ~500 is still a lot of time.

Until NQ provides more specifics, I'd keep it roughly as it is or rather dynamic. For example it should be fine to refer to existing countries or weave one's backstory around them, but I can also imagine coming up with fictional groups or up to moderate-scale events within - after all it's unlikely things would remain static for about 500 years, excluding technology advancements.

I honestly think this is a smaller problem, even for RPers. You (as character) were born in that time of departure anyway so you'd have to focus on that area if you wanted to refer to something - the ~500 years of history before that until this modern day would be tertiary - for me anyway.

The situations where filling this would become necessary should be slim on average. My point being that it won't be an everyday topic for RPers.

Well i didn't the earth get destroyed around year 2537 (if i remember correctly). I am guessing the arkships left just before that so what i think that Pang_Dread wants to know is what happens between years 2016 to 2537.

Arkship project took 500 years ? it's arround 8 generations  :o

Hmmm i think the  project done faster than that, but who knows ... we need more Lore on the Dual Universe wiki  ^_^

That's up to each player and organization or loose group however then.

My point being: "Don't complain about it the more crazy your own "gap filler story" becomes."

Your best or safest bet is to keep it rough. We can't really tell how the world may develop in roughly 500 years and especially in the face of doom. We know there's some large conflicts and problems that we will face in the next decades or century but ~500 is still a lot of time.

Until NQ provides more specifics, I'd keep it roughly as it is or rather dynamic. For example it should be fine to refer to existing countries or weave one's backstory around them, but I can also imagine coming up with fictional groups or up to moderate-scale events within - after all it's unlikely things would remain static for about 500 years, excluding technology advancements.

I honestly think this is a smaller problem, even for RPers. You (as character) were born in that time of departure anyway so you'd have to focus on that area if you wanted to refer to something - the ~500 years of history before that until this modern day would be tertiary - for me anyway.

The situations where filling this would become necessary should be slim on average. My point being that it won't be an everyday topic for RPers.

Well I'm more looking at it from a background story and short story point of view not so much for RP. I think it would be helpful to know some details about society in those years before the exodus so can tie a characters story better into the game worlds story.

But yeah can assume there would be strife from those not chosen, how governments/countries were able to build their Arks without falling into chaos, some probably did succumb and fell into complete chaos.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not mind holes in the lore. It will encourage us to make our own ideas. I also like the idea of stressing that the new lore, or future is more important than the past. the game will mean different things to different people and setting in stone what earth was like before the game starts may limit some people's backstories and concept of their character.

I do not mind holes in the lore. It will encourage us to make our own ideas. I also like the idea of stressing that the new lore, or future is more important than the past. the game will mean different things to different people and setting in stone what earth was like before the game starts may limit some people's backstories and concept of their character.

Alas, "new lore" will be made in game, as the game plays out - we cannot write that yet.

"What Earth was like" must, to a degree, be set in stone by someone, and indeed, realistic and sane limits must be placed on backstories and character concepts lest people make sweeping changes to the setting that can affect everyone if all backstories/concepts are valid. For instance - a popular backstory that has a critical (to the story) technology in it (say for instance time travel) that won't be in the game at all, ever, can in fact act as a negative on the community who may otherwise build up expectations around the game (say everyone starts to reference said tech in their own backstories) which will never ever be realised. Does that make sense?

I am sure that there will be at least a broad brush worldbuilding so we can write in a shared universe that is released with the formal announcement of the fanfiction contest.

I'm also curious about all those other arkships that were mentioned.  Is there a chance we may bump into another arkship civilization?  I know that even if there are hundreds of ships that had been launched, we'd still be thousands of lightyears apart after 10,000 years of travel at .99C.  But how far will we be able to travel?

I'm also curious about all those other arkships that were mentioned. 

Pat answer - ours was the only one that hit a planet, the rest just kept going and going and going, forever ever.

(But non-pat answer - /shrug things could always change? The Aether backstory is a great example of where it's dangerously close to creating background that may not be in there (the "other" AI - Eidelon etc) because it is so damn cool and easy to use as a springboard in one's own stories).

Like said going forward players will be able to write their own futures. But yeah I think we should all have the generally the same starting point. I'm not looking for the Dev to write individual stories, just a bit more fleshed about background story.

• 4 months later...

I'd imagine that "our" generation (the ones who were alive during the launching of the ships) would have lived in a society fairly similar to the one we're going to establish at the beginning of the game. More or less identical technology (unless some of it has been created by Aphelia during the journey), and factions doing their best to solve the various issues at hand. Probably some widespread panic and chaos from those who won't be able to get on the ships. Other than that most of it is pretty open for discussion it seems. 

Will there be a competition to see who can write the best back story? I hope they include what was happening on Earth when this happened.

• 2 months later...

Social Engineering and the integration of technology (at least for Canada)

• Rather than force humans to work through their difficulties instead it may be prudent utilize non-conformative traits to further social goals.

• Humans do not seek a “dream job” or a “dream home” they seek to have three categories of desire, each motivated by a fear, filled.  These categories are “physiological”, “psychological” and “social”

• Society must be designed to accommodate these needs

Stages of Life

• Child

• Open minded biologically geared towards gathering information

• Teen

• Determining self identity, filling in the knowledge gaps to be able to make logical and optimized deductions as an adult.

• Awkward line between computational engine adult and information repository child

• Adult

• Protector role for next generation

• Set in the mind, the adult’s sole goal is to maintain the society they grew up in for the safety of their children. Eliminate as many unknown variables as possible.

• Adults do not differ in their goals only with the scope that they see things as well as items assigned in a priority list (brain optimization)

What does a society need to function?

• Economy

• Labour

• Material

• Division of labour

• Distribution and production

• Mediation body

• Justice system

• Rules and Laws

• Government

• Politics

• .Customs/Rituals

• Coming of age

• Partnership

• Birth

• Death

• Holidays

• Festivities

Significant challenges:

Overcoming mob mentality

Fostering an understanding of diversity

Acceptance of technology

Currently almost all our infrastructure relies on electricity. The only thing that doesn't is our transportation system.

Thus the transportation system must be redesigned 

Definitions:

AMS: short for Autonomous Mobility System. Any robot designed to transport anything from one place to another without a fixed track. Autos can take any form of transportation.

NAVAMS: Naval AMS, ships, boats, ferries.

AIRAMS: Aerial AMS: Planes, airships, helicopters, quadcopters.

PRT: Personal rapid transit. An autonomous public version of the car.

LRT: Light Rail Transit

ET3: Evacuated tube transportation technology, also refers to Hyperloop style partially evacuated systems.

Revamping the transportation system

Using AMS to redefine intra city transportation through the use of PRT networks at the community level that connect to a larger LRT network. Overlaps in the PRT network allow for quick route pathfinding without having to transfer. These PRTs would be constantly cycling through the system allowing for less congestion, more area freed up as parking will not be a necessity, and will run on electricity supplied by either charging stations or “charge roads” where coils beneath the pavement wirelessly charge the vehicle.

Longer journeys within cities would take place using an LRT network that bridges 8 radial spokes from city centre that connect to an outer circular LRT line. Additional “radial” and “circumference” lines may be added as cities expand. An LRT line does not have to be exactly as outlined and must be adapted to each city’s unique structure. Long breaks in LRT lines may be supplemented by PRT zones. Outlying urban areas in close proximity to the main city (akin to what Okotoks is to Calgary) could also be linked to the main city via LRT or a separate ET3 station.

Intercity travel between large population centers would take place using ET3 replacing the need for large domestic air travel particularly the niche dominated by the Boeing 737 and similar planes.

Biofuel cars that use biofuel to drive a turbine to produce electricity would be prevalent in rural areas where such mass transit systems would not be cost effective nor efficient to maintain. However since these vehicles can still rely on the power grid and a system of charge roads as well as charging sockets would be enough to allow for rural living.

Politics and governing structure

Politics would use a modified parliament model based on the one used in Canada. A House of Representatives as well as a Senate. With an executive branch and an overseer (much like the governor general).

The house of representatives would be elected using proportional representation with a prime minister elected from which party has the majority. Party solidarity is not required.

The senate, comprising 211 seats, would be elected using a system of constituencies whose borders cannot be altered. 14 seats will be given to the Native population with chiefs from each province and territory with the last seat being given to the National Chief.

14 seats for each province and territory, each seat divided evenly by population and representing a certain area (urban, rural, else).

5 seats for each: Scientific Committee, Economic Board, Education Board. These individuals are elected by the House.

Overseer: A computer designed to tell when a decision may lead to a global disaster this is to prevent Trumps from getting in office. This computer will only intervene if the scientific data states that there is a greater than 50% chance that something terrible will happen (Anarchy, Epidemic, climate failure, open nuclear warfare, asteroid hitting the earth) because of a decision. The computer will not be able to make decisions only to advise on bills.

Economy

Basic universal income

Robots heavily used in all facets of industry from manufacturing to services

Robots used for mass manufacturing, as well as dangerous jobs and mundane jobs.

Robots work with humans

I am going to expand on this paper later. But I believe a paper like this would be enough to form the basis of such a society that leads to robots taking over jobs and a transitional period from 2017 to 2057. 

Hello there,

You can get some elements in the Novawrimo contest. Check the harchives : ttps://board.dualthegame.com/index.php/forum/12-novark-archives/.

Regards,

Shadow