Ship building mini game. Pre-release.

Zorodek

I'm getting very excited about the possibilities of this game. So much so I've watched several video teasers many times.

What I saw was extremely encouraging and all I want is to get my hands on it, like many others here I imagine.

So my thought is this. Would it be possible to create for instance a 500m square world. With a simple platform for constructing vehicles and small ships.

To get on the creative side that's already been shown. Obviously use of said vehicle would be limited as the space in the mini game would be extremely limited.

Even if the modules placed had no functionality, to trial small designs play around with layouts, even dabble in the scripting I heard mentioned.

I know this will never happen haha. I think I'm just super keen to see this game happen. It has the potential to be a real game changer. I only wish I had the finances to of backed/pledged more to get alpha access.

As a last note. If this was to be possible. The testing that would be done with it by myself and all these other super hyped fans could be if great benefit.

Hell, I'd even contribute more to have a little play :)

Have a great day.

Fly safe.

Zorodek

I'm getting very excited about the possibilities of this game. So much so I've watched several video teasers many times.

What I saw was extremely encouraging and all I want is to get my hands on it, like many others here I imagine.

So my thought is this. Would it be possible to create for instance a 500m square world. With a simple platform for constructing vehicles and small ships.

To get on the creative side that's already been shown. Obviously use of said vehicle would be limited as the space in the mini game would be extremely limited.

Even if the modules placed had no functionality, to trial small designs play around with layouts, even dabble in the scripting I heard mentioned.

I know this will never happen haha. I think I'm just super keen to see this game happen. It has the potential to be a real game changer. I only wish I had the finances to of backed/pledged more to get alpha access.

As a last note. If this was to be possible. The testing that would be done with it by myself and all these other super hyped fans could be if great benefit.

Hell, I'd even contribute more to have a little play :)

Have a great day.

Fly safe.

Zorodek

They might be better off holding until Alpha. If everyone can play with the unfinished builds, the hype might wear off ;)

They might be better off holding until Alpha. If everyone can play with the unfinished builds, the hype might wear off ;)

I do actually, it would allow testers to make creations and test builds void of the multiplayer aspect and integration.  It would be a lot like the Camelot Unchained building mode that they had before multiplayer.  This allowed the community to shape how the creative portion of the game works, before it was thrown into multiplayer.

The creation aspect is arguably the most important aspect of the game, literally everything relies on it.  Getting this system correct is paramount to the success of the game, and as such... making sure it's done right off the bat could be a good thing.  You could also argue this could happen in alpha, but wouldn't you want the alpha to be dedicated to fixing multiplayer and server integration?  As well as building aspects that weren't cranked out during the building test phase.

In the end, the creator of a system may not be able to fine tune the building system without the help from the community.  Depending on how it's all built on each other (if at all) this could cause lost time, or not, come alpha release.  Why re-invent the wheel, if you can get the wheel right the first time?

Just my opinion I guess :)

I've been in a game that started with building and tacted on combat later...  it's bad.  The control schemes shift from build to combat... it isn't good.

What's good for building isn't necessarily good for combat.  So in order to have the whole game feel like a cohesive whole both systems must be developed in tandem.  The devs need to know and see how making a tweak to the building camera and controls changes and effects combat. 

The devs need to know and see how making a tweak to the building camera and controls changes and effects combat.

Going from the videos it seems fine to me.

Its both in 1st person, what exactly are you talking about?

The builder tools dev blog has something like this:

- Virtual Simulator: enabling player to enter a virtual world (call it �inception syndrome�!). While in that virtual space, the player would be able to design any construct, in a completely peaceful setting. This would help builders to design their construct and create their blueprints safely, without being interrupted by any PvP action. For ships, it will also be possible to test their flight mode, without risking a crash or wasting resources!

Going from the videos it seems fine to me.

Its both in 1st person, what exactly are you talking about?

Landmark.

formerly Everquest Landmark.

It started as a building game with the intention to add combat later.  They got the building interface going pretty well.  Clicking and dragging with the Mouse third and first person views.

Then they added combat and in combat mode the control scheme completely changes.  camera locked to mouse look.  It's like the combat team didn't talk or compare notes with the building team... like 2 different games were rammed together...

It's an utter mess.

Now it's not a perfect example as NQ is smaller... but it is an example of when game systems are developed in isolation from each other and then made to work together... These things need to be developed in tandem so the game is consistent through out all play modes.

@Fitorion ah I see what you mean. Personally I wouldnt worry too much about what happened to landmark in relation to DU. Landmark was poorly developed on the technical side in my opinion.

Although I see your point and until we get to play with the game we really cant tell either way. But thats what alpha and beta is for.

Though remember that DU is 1 big vision, not several addons that get stacked on eachother if you catch my drift. ;)

The builder tools dev blog has something like this:

- Virtual Simulator: enabling player to enter a virtual world (call it �inception syndrome�!). While in that virtual space, the player would be able to design any construct, in a completely peaceful setting. This would help builders to design their construct and create their blueprints safely, without being interrupted by any PvP action. For ships, it will also be possible to test their flight mode, without risking a crash or wasting resources!

This would be perfect.

Rather than a pre release mini game. This virtual safe environment. That solves the whole when to add combat situation as this 'safe' environment is going to be in the final release.

Obviously this post is mainly about wanting to get on an aspect of this game as early as possible but as it has been mentioned several times the testing and trialling aspect is undeniable. I whole heartedly trust this development team and anything I/we can do to help in its progress would be magnificent.

Let's day for just a mo that this happens. Even if only high level backers were testing it would be worth. I'm sure I'm not the only aircraft engineer here and I'm certain the input on the construction side from any civil. Structural. Vehicle engineers would be extremely helpful. Either way come on novaquark get me more hyped if that's possible.

Thank you all on your input so far.

Zorodek

• 2 months later...

i thought this may not be a bad idea, but not to let you test your ship out, just to design ships in a space solely for making ships, just to kickstart community ship demonstrations maybe even apply to have your ship used in an official demo? so not a mini world but just a place to combine voxels into a ship concept, doesnt even have to carry over designs into release, just solely for people to figure out what kind of ships they might build

i thought this may not be a bad idea, but not to let you test your ship out, just to design ships in a space solely for making ships, just to kickstart community ship demonstrations maybe even apply to have your ship used in an official demo? so not a mini world but just a place to combine voxels into a ship concept, doesnt even have to carry over designs into release, just solely for people to figure out what kind of ships they might build

Lovely little tool called MagicaVoxel should suit that need quite nicely. Our staff find it a very useful platform to prototype on. Check it out here --> https://ephtracy.github.io/

• 1 year later...

Just remembered this old idea and thought it was still a relevant idea.

simple. Holodeck style offline voxel construction room, limited to small designs.

possibly  blue printable for use in game at a later date.

really like the idea of playing around with designs offline, seeing what can be done on a small scale.