Testing Expansions

I know this question may be early, but will it be possible for Alpha/beta testers to also test the expansions before they release (such as Construct vs construct and the Stargates), similar with how Elite: Dangerous tests it's new game mechanics?

I would hope and assume that there would be a single smaller testing server for these purposes. 

But this could become expensive, so they may just release things after going through internal QA services and then patch later on after the bugs have been reported by the masses.
This option works, but is less efficient. You have to remember though that regardless things are going to slip through onto the live server either way. 

But as Falstaf said above, we have no idea at this point in time.

It might be possible to have "test zones" within the server, where it captures data on your ship, inventory, and location before you enter, and can revert you to that state and location if something goes wrong or if they have to re-set the test zone.

I know this question may be early, but will it be possible for Alpha/beta testers to also test the expansions before they release (such as Construct vs construct and the Stargates), similar with how Elite: Dangerous tests it's new game mechanics?

There is still no information about how the Dev's will develop their game expansion, but i think they will need some or a few players to test the expansion first before they open it for public  :D

From what i remember from Elite: Dangerous, only players that own Lifetime Subscription that have access to the newest expansion before anyone else [CMIIW].

Maybe NQ will invite players that own Alpha & Beta access to test their new expansion, or only players with Alpha access, or just only players that own specific pledges ?

who knows & let's wait  ;)

There is still no information about how the Dev's will develop their game expansion, but i think they will need some or a few players to test the expansion first before they open it for public  :D

From what i remember from Elite: Dangerous, only players that own Lifetime Subscription that have access to the newest expansion before anyone else [CMIIW].

Maybe NQ will invite players that own Alpha & Beta access to test their new expansion, or only players with Alpha access, or just only players that own specific pledges ?

who knows & let's wait  ;)

Heck, i think it would be OK to allow players to "buy" test tokens to test expansions, but that kind of defeats the idea of "each expansion is free for subscribed players" if certain players get to access it before everyone else.

This is definitely a wait-and-see kind of thing.

They might go an invitation route too. One of my brothers (not Starkontrast,) is an expansion/beta tester for a game that is currently in its 4th iteration.(Sorry, not allowed to give specifics.:) )

He had to be invited by another tester to get involved with it, then "meet" the head tester, then download the content, etc.

They run their testing on a seperate server, and keep the content very hush-hush. I don't even know what they are up to! Hence the reason it is an invitation-only deal.

If they go this route, even someone who was not a Kickstarter backer could be invited to test expansions.

Again, to echo what has been said, we will have to wait and see.

Educated guess: it will be like eve.... That's the most easy way to do it. Announce mass tests for a new expansion, mirror all characters, start testserver and you're good

That hush-hush hiding secrecy alpha testing is just complicated and too many problems arise from that

That hush-hush hiding secrecy alpha testing is just complicated and too many problems arise from that

Yeah, probably so. The game my brother tests has a lot of market competition though, so they like to keep everything under wraps. That way nobody steals their ideas and releases them before the original developers.

I am not trying to make waves here, just stating what limited experience I have with expansion testing. :)

I sincerely hope that I won't have to jump through the hoops my brother did to test his game.

As far as development, the game in question allows the testers access to some of the game coding, so it might be to make sure nobody programs themselves an advantage/sabatoges the game as it is to keep it secret.

Again, limited experience, second-hand knowledge. All I know is he is actually under LEGAL obligation to keep it secret. Crazy? I think so too, but hey, these people make a pretty good game! :)

Again, limited experience, second-hand knowledge. All I know is he is actually under LEGAL obligation to keep it secret. Crazy? I think so too, but hey, these people make a pretty good game! :)

Its really not that crazy.

Non Disclosure Agreements are pretty standard in game testing. There are still a few games where I'm technically still under NDA despite these games having released already.

I understand the need for testing expansions but I'm not a big fan of letting the community do it. All too often I have seen content being released where testers intentionally left in exploits to have an advantage.

I do hope they find a way to keep that from happening! But I also don't want to have to find someone who is testing, convince them to invite me, get a full background check, donate a kidney... :)

My brother was invited because they knew him, but he still had a lot of stuff to do to get approved.

I am not saying the process should be easy, but it shouldn't be as involved as it was for him.

What if the devs just update the game at random without any news?

Then it would be up to us to "discover" all the new additions?

.....just sayin

The only problem with that are the bugs and exploits possible in an untested update, which may lead to massive change when for example someone finds a loophole that allows them to dupe items and floods the market for a quick buck.

The discovery aspect could still be in play if they decided to give only alpha and beta testers access to the test server, but that is up to them to decide