Counterfeiting, fraud and fun for all the family

Anopheles

Most of us have passed a ferrari dealership and then looked down at or Kia keys mournfully.

So blueprints will be made and sold. What if i buy a blueprint and decide to copy it and undercut the cost? Perhaps use the name, perhaps use lower spec parts?

What if I script the ship to ail so it becomes more of a rental thing... ? You want revenge but all you can afford is a brick with a catapult attached? What about renting a Deathstar from me? Naturally any damage would have to be paid for and it will revert to brickiness if you run away (or will ignore you and fly back to my shipyard of unfortunate death?

Because imaginary fraud is fun!

You'll be able to rent land as far as I know, why not ships? Should work the same way, since it's all part of the "duties and management system". Not sure though if the ability to ask for money will be in this module or in the "contracts and jobs" (and you'd be able to ask a collateral in case of damage/steal/destruction). 

Most of us have passed a ferrari dealership and then looked down at or Kia keys mournfully.

So blueprints will be made and sold. What if i buy a blueprint and decide to copy it and undercut the cost? Perhaps use the name, perhaps use lower spec parts?

What if I script the ship to ail so it becomes more of a rental thing... ? You want revenge but all you can afford is a brick with a catapult attached? What about renting a Deathstar from me? Naturally any damage would have to be paid for and it will revert to brickiness if you run away (or will ignore you and fly back to my shipyard of unfortunate death?

Because imaginary fraud is fun!

Blueprints cannot be copied with out permission. The only way you could do this would be to make your own blueprint inspired by the design of the other one. If you want to use lower quality materials you can but it will be reflected in the quality of the final ship. You can then sell your cheaper version for less money of you want. That's just the market at work, no fraud involved.

Do you think the Gucci counterfeiters call up Gucci and ask for the patterns to their latest handbag?

They buy a bag and attempt to reverse engineer everything.

That's exactly what you'll be able to do in Dual Universe.

So counterfeit away.

It's already been confirmed that there will be safeguards in place to protect the original designer. And there should be.

If you're not creative enough to come up with your own idea, then you should be at a disadvantage.

But... it should be possible to counterfeit blueprints. I'd want it be skill based and very much frowned on, but possible.

It will be possible, but it won't be easy.

You'll need to see what the thing your trying to copy looks like, possibly even own one.

Then you'll need to build something that looks enough like it to fool people, and name it the same. (or a similar and misleading name if construct names are uniquely enforced). Then hope people can't tell the difference.

At least give and explanation why, so that we can have a conversation.   A pithy comment does nothing.

Because nothing kills creativity more than a bunch of people attacking the original creator for "stealing" the design that was stolen from them seen it happen have had it happen to me .

I wouldnt want to put something out for the public if all it means is that someone will steal credit and I will be left defending myself from claims of theft.

The original creator could be protected.   We have a  chance to build a player run Crime, Law and Punishment system from the ground up.    Strangling a simulation from the beginning just limits creativity and puts artificial and immersion breaking limits on Suspended Disbelief.

I feel like this system wouldn't even be necessary and that the idea of reverse-engineering suggested above is probably the best way to go, at least for constructs. Even just owning one of the products and being able to replicate it through analysis and observation would probably make do for that.

Scripts are probably another story entirely though, as I'm not really sure how those would work.

The original creator could be protected. We have a chance to build a player run Crime, Law and Punishment system from the ground up. Strangling a simulation from the beginning just limits creativity and puts artificial and immersion breaking limits on Suspended Disbelief.

I dont think counterfits qaulify as creative.

I also dont agree that not being able to reverse engineer blueprints break immersion. Blueprints are encrypted blocks of data. Since we are dealing with qauntum technology in this game its reasonable to have 100% succesful encryption. I'm not an expert but qauntum key distribution is pretty strong as far as I understand it.

The devs realise how important IP is in a game like DU. Thats why you cant reverse engineer blueprints. If you want to make a name for yourself you will have to put in 100% of the effort.

I'm not a builder but I really understand why someone wants to protect his creations. And it follows the game lore. Nothing artificial or immersion breaking about it.

The original creator could be protected.   We have a  chance to build a player run Crime, Law and Punishment system from the ground up.    Strangling a simulation from the beginning just limits creativity and puts artificial and immersion breaking limits on Suspended Disbelief.

There are plenty of games where crime and fraud are a big part of the genre. This is no one of those games.

At least give and explanation why, so that we can have a conversation.   A pithy comment does nothing.

Like we have to prove to you why an off-genre feature that isn't planned shouldn't be included?

There will be plenty of "crime" as it is, since it is a sandbox game. Players will have plenty of chances to attempt to scam other players, you have the "just-like" method that I described, plus nothing will stop a player from placing something dirt cheap on the market, and ambushing any player that tries to travel to claim it.

This isn't a crime simulator, the focus is on building. We don't need the devs to go out of the way to create tools for players to use to counterfeit blueprints.

From what I understand from the last few interviews with JC is that blueprints are going to be an in game item that can be stolen. So lock your stuff up builders or risk it getting into the wrong hands.

From what I understand from the last few interviews with JC is that blueprints are going to be an in game item that can be stolen. So lock your stuff up builders or risk it getting into the wrong hands.

Blueprint copies perhaps (that have a limited number of runs) but not blueprints Masers (which won't even clear during wipes from Alpha>beta>release)

Correct. There's a difference between master prints and regular blueprints.

The master is safe, and a blueprint has a limited number of runs (AMA #2?)

If you purchase or steal a blueprint, you won't typically have rights to modify the print. You will just be able to run off a few copies of the construct

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10040-blueprints-stick-with-you-through-alphabeta/

Its the closest thing to a quote because it was in a video if memory serves me right. :)

indeed, I already did the legwork on that

Seems to me that letting people copy/paste other peoples designs and code doesn't even really do justice to the term counterfeit.

Counterfeiting actually takes skill.

It sounds like what the OP is talking about would be closer to digital piracy.

Anyway hopefully most people with the skill to reverse engineer a construct will be too busy working on their own designs to bother counterfeiting one.

I think JC has said everything will have some kind of digital signature so even if you could make a perfect duplicate somehow, you wouldn't be able to sell it under someone else's name.

Someone mentioned quantum encryption. IF you buy the blueprint copy and construct the ship via the industry autobuild (whatever it will be called).

Using observation and skill and a little bit of breaking some voxels in the ship itself.

There is no reason why you cant create a completely new ship by hand that is almost if not an exact replica of the blueprinted industry built one.

Make a master blueprint of that ship and sell your own copies on the market.

But automating copying the blueprint via skills or whatever is not going to be a thing i believe.

I think JC said structures will have the builder's name on it when answering about folks who build boogie and phallic buildings. My guess is it will apply to all structures, moving and fixed. So while you may be able to copy an original "Deacon" design, it won't have "Deacon" name on it.

I think JC said structures will have the builder's name on it when answering about folks who build boogie and phallic buildings. My guess is it will apply to all structures, moving and fixed. So while you may be able to copy an original "Deacon" design, it won't have "Deacon" name on it.

However if your character's name was "Deecon", that might be enough to create some confusion and for some people to fall for it.

I'm cool with this either way, I think players trying to copy ship designs is fun!

Plus it incentivize ship builders to use very complex voxel shape combinations as part of their design, that would be challenging to replicate.