Some questions I have

DoctorCoconut

No, no it's not a skybox :V That's the whole jist of the game, no Skyboxes. Yes Man's Hype has skyboxes and stars that rotate around planets. You can't have a continuous universe like that and this is why the NQ devs are working hard on making planets rotate, instead of some Sean Murray BS with stars orbiing planets.

So no, Skyboxes are not a thing in the game. The way JC explained it in the DM21 interview, it's that the farthest LOD rendering (the point you can't see anything with any form of scanner) will be a 2D image of the distant background on the servers. That's simply a tesselation trick, the closer you get to it the further that "draw map" goes back and away from you as objects render in in LODs you can't even detect.

So, as long as there are nebulas in the game, I can't expect the sky to look like that shitty No Man's Sky pink-yellow-blue background. And so far, Nebulas have not been confirmed. So, no, the devs can't make pink nebulas, without nebulas existing in an area of space you wil ltravel towards.

Wait, when you say they are trying to get the planets to rotate... are you saying they are trying to get planets to orbit as well?  I was under the impression they weren't going to mess with that kind of stuff, being it's a small team and all.  However, if they have changed their plans on this I would love to know!  

I doubt we will see fauna as large as the cyber dragon you posted.

Dual Universe is intended to be almost exclusively player v player (conflict as well as combat).

Also, Dual Universe is much more Sci-Fi than it is Sci-Fantasy.

It will be interesting to see what players will create, though.

Should be quite easy for the devs to create spectacular ice planets.

But, they haven't shown us what they can do with biome variations yet.

This just sparked an idea... I have to wonder how in-depth the scripting will end up being.  If you will be able to script constructs to attack anything and everything that moves, with the construct itself having randomized movement.  If this were possible people would be able to try and populate an area with hostile constructs in order to protect certain resources.  Now, these constructs would still be dangerous to those who place them as well... creating an entirely new dynamic of cost/reward.

Anywho, would be interesting.

Wait, when you say they are trying to get the planets to rotate... are you saying they are trying to get planets to orbit as well? I was under the impression they weren't going to mess with that kind of stuff, being it's a small team and all. However, if they have changed their plans on this I would love to know!

No orbits of planets for now, only rotation if it's feasible

Okay, thanks a bunch!

I know there is also a very obvious answer to this question but will there be spectacular views of planets towering over the one you're in at the moment(Like the ice biome, one of the cities and the planet with that dragon)? I've seen the videos and I know they already have them but will they be as jaw dropping and impressive as the ones I've shown? Will there also be a weapon builder too?

Hmm its a bit early to tell.

I think the spectacular views will come from moons that are close to planets. I think actual planets will be spaced apart in such a way that travel will take some time.

As for a weapon builder, you will be able to craft weapons such as space guns. But you wont be able to decide how they look. The voxel technology is for constructing static buildings or dynamic constructs that can move. The elements you can put on constructs are pre defined meshes, like weapons.

Oh, Okay. I still have some more questions to ask though (Sorry if I'm bugging you all with them. I just need to make sure this game is what I want before I support It. Thanks a bunch for your patience )

1. When and If weapons other than guns are a thing in the game will I get to look like something similar to these: 

978e4c24836249.5633adc3acd06.jpg

UiEGEbP1.jpg

Question 2: I know aliens aren't meant to be a huge thing in the game but one of the best things about games like these was killing gigantic monsters with a boatload of friends. When alien animals do get taken up later on will they/ can they look like these: zmvN1yY.png

Ks3GBuw.jpg

Question 3: Space soldiers are obviously a no for the moment but will they become a yes later on? And will they look something like this: 605a6e5fac2601df6dcaf57684352c42.jpg

I've always wanted to help a guild (who've been led to a trap) fight a bunch of alien soldiers for control of a super rare item.

@DoctorCoconut currently there are no plans to include swords in the game. The creative director JC said it will be about space guns for now. As such I think that includes other forms of melee weapons. I think its an artistic decision. So you looking like a cyber samurai seems unlikely.

As for alien creatures, we dont know how they will look like. To the best of my knowledge we havent seen any concept art of alien creatures. On one occasion we have seen a creature in a concept art picture but that creature looked like a friendly deer.

Because this game is not focused on epic PvE I think its unlikely that creatures like you depicted will make it in this game.

Space soldiers, it is just an idea at the moment. If an NPC enemy ever makes it into the game it will be in some future expansion. Because it is just an idea at the moment nobody knows how they might look like.

Dual Universe is a sandbox game focused on player interaction and rebuilding civilization. At the moment the development of the game goes towards developing systems that support that. In the total vision of the game fighting against NPC's is not a priority. Maybe DU is not exactly what you are looking for.

Have a look at Project Genom, that might be more something for you.

https://pgenom.com/home/

:)

@DoctorCoconut currently there are no plans to include swords in the game. The creative director JC said it will be about space guns for now. As such I think that includes other forms of melee weapons. I think its an artistic decision. So you looking like a cyber samurai seems unlikely.

As for alien creatures, we dont know how they will look like. To the best of my knowledge we havent seen any concept art of alien creatures. On one occasion we have seen a creature in a concept art picture but that creature looked like a friendly deer.

Because this game is not focused on epic PvE I think its unlikely that creatures like you depicted will make it in this game.

Space soldiers, it is just an iddea at the moment. If an NPC enemy ever makes it into the game it will be in some future expansion. Because it is just an idea at the moment nobody knows how they might look like.

Dual Universe is a sandbox game focused on player interaction and rebuilding civilization. At the moment the development of the game goes towards developing systems that support that. In the total vision of the game fighting against NPC's is not a priority. Maybe DU is not exactly what you are looking for.

Have a look at Project Genom, that might be more something for you.

https://pgenom.com/home/

:)

It is? How so?

It is? How so?

I meant it in the sense that most answers to your questions are no. As such I linked project genom because its also sci-fi and has a lot of planned PvE content. With very large creatures and has plans for multiple planets. Just not a sandbox or voxels. Thats all. :)

You can play whatever you want. I was only answering your questions.

I meant it in the sense that most answers to your questions are no. As such I linked project genom because its also sci-fi and has a lot of planned PvE content. With very large creatures and has plans for multiple planets. Just not a sandbox or voxels. Thats all. :)

You can play whatever you want. I was only answering your questions.

I'll stick to supporting this. And thank you for answering my questions It means a lot. 

1: Dual Universe is Sci-Fi; not Sci-Fantasy.

2: Dual universe has an extreme focus on player interaction - we will have very few conflicts with aliens.

3: We can expect a minimal amount of extra-terrestrial fauna on par with the fauna we have on Earth. That's about it.

Wait, when you say they are trying to get the planets to rotate... are you saying they are trying to get planets to orbit as well?  I was under the impression they weren't going to mess with that kind of stuff, being it's a small team and all.  However, if they have changed their plans on this I would love to know!

It's not the case of having a small team or anything, simply the fact that orbits make travelling harder. Instead of knowing that a certain planet is in x direction and is 12 minutes away by FTL, you need the astrophysics skills of actual scientists (or at least a physics major) to accurately calculate its location and travel time. Other aspects of the game should be difficult, but watching the planet you're trying to land on move out from underneath you isn't one of them.

Their intention is to have a static star, and stationary (but rotating) planets. No sure if they were going to out moons in orbit or if that moon was only in the videos to demonstrate the seamlessness of the game.

It's not the case of having a small team or anything, simply the fact that orbits make travelling harder. Instead of knowing that a certain planet is in x direction and is 12 minutes away by FTL, you need the astrophysics skills of actual scientists (or at least a physics major) to accurately calculate its location and travel time. Other aspects of the game should be difficult, but watching the planet you're trying to land on move out from underneath you isn't one of them.

Their intention is to have a static star, and stationary (but rotating) planets. No sure if they were going to out moons in orbit or if that moon was only in the videos to demonstrate the seamlessness of the game.

Stars/Planets/Moons: fixed place

Planets/Moons: rotate around their axis

So far there are no tidally locked systems (as it would be when a moon rotates around a planet) and the Moon will (though stationary), for a observer on the planet, rotate around the planet (because the planet rotates).

Moons were confirmed in some interview

I believe another reason for not having orbiting planets (besides all that add complexity) is that planets could effectively crash into ships/stations parked in space. Imagine a space station or large ship "accidentally" nudged into the path of a planet.

Even rotating planets and moons would be very difficult to navigate.
Distances to bases will change. We're going to need some form of homing beacon to ping where our bases are at any given time when traversing from moon to planet or planet to planet. Landmarks will be in flux and not necessarily easily recognizable depending on the topography of the worlds and their environmental conditions.

Even with waypoints - how do we plan for travel time?

Farthest distance vs closest distance due to rotation...

Yup, not sure about that one. I suppose thats something we cant really streamline because of the nature of the game?

Always make sure to carry some extra fuel and add a potential 10 minutes to your arrival time?