Some questions I have

DoctorCoconut

I've seen the trailers and interviews from this game and I am absolutely blown away but I must ask some questions before I sink my money into this. Don't get me wrong, I know this won't be a disappointment but I do have some things that I've always wanted to do and some of them were the reasons why I'm in to games like these.

Question 1: I was reading up on an interview and It said the devs are unsure about the alien life in other planets Is this true? 

Question 2: Is It likely to stumble into a massive battle between control of a planet or a large area of one? I'm not against It, Infact, I'd really really like It if that happened

Question 3: One of the reasons why I thought about getting this game is because of my idea of building some kind of recuperation facility in deep space were I can sell stuff and give out tips to new players. Will this be possible? And follow up to this question, Will eating be a thing, too? One of the things I've wanted to sell is food. 

Question 4: Are swords confirmed?

Question 5: Will there be planets that have only one biome? Planets with just ice or planets with just lava, planets like these (Sorry for the long images);  fbcf889b4fda82394121f198e2d5b803.jpg

wallpaper-lava-planet.jpg

Question 6: I'm well aware that the game will have cool futuristic cities but will they look as awesome as these; (Again, I'm sorry for the long images, hopefully the moderator that looks this over can shrink this down) 598d5f762d12b1335b27fc9d293b53e3.jpg

Q1ZuoS.jpg

057e816caa01c781cc8466b9b25e2030.jpg

Question 7: Will space look as cool as this; galaxy-wallpaper-tumblr-wallpaper-14.jpg

Question 8: If monsters are confirmed will they look as cool as these: 62566-space-dragon.jpg

Question 9: The whole subscription thing doesn't really thrill me. Will you release this game on steam?

Question 10: I kind of like the whole "Moderator has to approve your post before It gets put on the forums thing" It saves me the embarrassment of doing something silly. If It's not too much trouble on the moderators, Is It possible for me to keep this on even when I do make 1 more approved post?

Thank you for answering my questions and again, I'm really sorry if the images I posted are too long.

I've seen the trailers and interviews from this game and I am absolutely blown away but I must ask some questions before I sink my money into this. Don't get me wrong, I know this won't be a disappointment but I do have some things that I've always wanted to do and some of them were the reasons why I'm in to games like these.

Question 1: I was reading up on an interview and It said the devs are unsure about the alien life in other planets Is this true? 

Question 2: Is It likely to stumble into a massive battle between control of a planet or a large area of one? I'm not against It, Infact, I'd really really like It if that happened

Question 3: One of the reasons why I thought about getting this game is because of my idea of building some kind of recuperation facility in deep space were I can sell stuff and give out tips to new players. Will this be possible? And follow up to this question, Will eating be a thing, too? One of the things I've wanted to sell is food. 

Question 5: Will there be planets that have only one biome? Planets with just ice or planets with just lava, planets like these (Sorry for the long images); 

Question 6: I'm well aware that the game will have cool futuristic cities but will they look as awesome as these; (Again, I'm sorry for the long images, hopefully the moderator that looks this over can shrink this down) 

Question 7: Will space look as cool as this; 

Question 8: If monsters are confirmed will they look as cool as these.

Question 9: The whole subscription thing doesn't really thrill me. Will you release this game on steam?

Question 10: I kind of like the whole "Moderator has to approve your post before It gets put on the forums thing" It saves me the embarrassment of doing something silly. If It's not too much trouble on the moderators, Is It possible for me to keep this on even when I do make 1 more approved post?

Thank you for answering my questions and again, I'm really sorry if the images I posted are too long.

1) Alien life has been discussed as a possibility but mostly things like finding ancient aliens structures and what not, not so much an alien nation.

2)Between players yes. There is little to no npc's or pve combat elements in the game so you will not run in to waring non player factions

3)Yes it will be possible. As far as survival mechanics most of the time NQ says they want survival mechanics to be easy when you are in civilization but hard when you are away. This make me think it will be more of a fuel for you ship, energy for you ship type system but they have mostly said survival type mechanics will be light at launch

4) I believe melee weapons have not been confirmed at least for launch

5) At the moment i believe all planets are 1 Biome. The starter planet is kind of an earth type biome. the other planet/moon we visited is a desert type biome.

6) Players will be building the cities so they will look as cool as the players make them look.

7) Space outside of the planets/sun in the system is a skybox so it can look as cool as they want it to.

8) Animals in general have been stated as a goal for release but i think the quote is "just enough to make the planets seem more alive." so large space creatures is probably a no for the moment.

9) The game really does need to be sub based to work and this has been discussed many times. I don't think they have taken a strong stance on steam or no steam.

10) no idea.

Edit: Keep in mind the game is still in alpha so a lot of these answers could change or maybe some of my replies are out of date.

1) Alien life has been discussed as a possibility but mostly things like finding ancient aliens structures and what not, not so much an alien nation.

2)Between players yes. There is little to no npc's or pve combat elements in the game so you will not run in to waring non player factions

3)Yes it will be possible. As far as survival mechanics most of the time NQ says they want survival mechanics to be easy when you are in civilization but hard when you are away. This make me think it will be more of a fuel for you ship, energy for you ship type system but they have mostly said survival type mechanics will be light at launch

5) At the moment i believe all planets are 1 Biome. The starter planet is kind of an earth type biome. the other planet/moon we visited is a desert type biome.

6) Players will be building the cities so they will look as cool as the players make them look.

7) Space outside of the planets/sun in the system is a skybox so it can look as cool as they want it to.

8) Animals in general have been stated as a goal for release but i think the quote is "just enough to make the planets seem more alive." so large space creatures is probably a no for the moment.

9) The game really does need to be sub based to work and this has been discussed many times. I don't think they have taken a strong stance on steam or no steam.

10) no idea.

Edit: Keep in mind the game is still in alpha so a lot of these answers could change or maybe some of my replies are out of date.

No, no it's not a skybox :V That's the whole jist of the game, no Skyboxes. Yes Man's Hype has skyboxes and stars that rotate around planets. You can't have a continuous universe like that and this is why the NQ devs are working hard on making planets rotate, instead of some Sean Murray BS with stars orbiing planets.

So no, Skyboxes are not a thing in the game. The way JC explained it in the DM21 interview, it's that the farthest LOD rendering (the point you can't see anything with any form of scanner) will be a 2D image of the distant background on the servers. That's simply a tesselation trick, the closer you get to it the further that "draw map" goes back and away from you as objects render in in LODs you can't even detect.

So, as long as there are nebulas in the game, I can't expect the sky to look like that shitty No Man's Sky pink-yellow-blue background. And so far, Nebulas have not been confirmed. So, no, the devs can't make pink nebulas, without nebulas existing in an area of space you wil ltravel towards.

10) no idea.

ostris has it right for the most part.

ill answer the question about swords....and that answer is no, the game uses tab targeting for combat, it was a trade off to make it a single shard and for the engine to work properly and because of reasons I don't personally know as im no game developer having swords isn't a possibility in the game.

because the game is still in pre-alpha there isn't a lot of specifics known yet.

Question 6: I'm well aware that the game will have cool futuristic cities but will they look as awesome as these; (Again, I'm sorry for the long images, hopefully the moderator that looks this over can shrink this down) 598d5f762d12b1335b27fc9d293b53e3.jpg

057e816caa01c781cc8466b9b25e2030.jpg

I doubt that we will have cities that look like the ones in these pics.

1: It would take way too many resources to build.

2: The population of players won't be large enough to warrant cities that large.

3: We wouldn't want to navigate cities that dense.

Players will be able to create beautiful buildings that rival those buildings.

But, cities won't be as large or as dense as depicted above.

No, no it's not a skybox :V That's the whole jist of the game, no Skyboxes. Yes Man's Hype has skyboxes and stars that rotate around planets. You can't have a continuous universe like that and this is why the NQ devs are working hard on making planets rotate, instead of some Sean Murray BS with stars orbiing planets.

So no, Skyboxes are not a thing in the game. The way JC explained it in the DM21 interview, it's that the farthest LOD rendering (the point you can't see anything with any form of scanner) will be a 2D image of the distant background on the servers. That's simply a tesselation trick, the closer you get to it the further that "draw map" goes back and away from you as objects render in in LODs you can't even detect.

So, as long as there are nebulas in the game, I can't expect the sky to look like that shitty No Man's Sky pink-yellow-blue background. And so far, Nebulas have not been confirmed. So, no, the devs can't make pink nebulas, without nebulas existing in an area of space you wil ltravel towards.

I wish i could remember the interview but i distinctly remember seeing NQ mention that many parts of the sky will be a skybox. Can't seem to find it though, oh well.

I wish i could remember the interview but i distinctly remember seeing NQ mention that many parts of the sky will be a skybox. Can't seem to find it though, oh well.

In a sense, the farthest range on the LOD will be a drawmap, but it's a skybox. A skybox is the illusion of distance for instances (like systems in EVE or No Man's Sky, yes, No Man's Sky is not a continuous universe, shocking I know). Drawmaps are dynamic, Skyboxes are static.

The difference between a drawmap and a skybox, is that the drawmap is relative to your perspective and the LOD limit. You can see a star from millions of kilometers away because it's huge in comparison to a planet, so the drawmap can have dots to symbolise that star in your drawmap, but a planet won't be seen, because it's too tiny to be even registered on the drawmap. But, if you move closer and closer to that star, the details on said drawmap will be higher, and as you grow even nearer, the star will become bigger and the planets will pop up in the drawmap.

It's exactly what NQ does with its LOD based rendering for the engine. The closer you get to the space station, the more details pop up, only in the drawmap's example, the drawmap gets higher and higher in defintion, until 3D objects pop up at a range you won't otice the transition from a 2D drawing to a 3D enviroment.

They're using a sky box for the tech demo.

JC mentioned this in one of the videos where he rotated the sun around the planets to demonstrate the day/night cycle.

I couldn't say if there will be a sky box in the final, but the VAST majority of the stars will be procedurally generated. If not ALL of them.

In a sense, the farthest range on the LOD will be a drawmap, but it's a skybox. A skybox is the illusion of distance for instances (like systems in EVE or No Man's Sky, yes, No Man's Sky is not a continuous universe, shocking I know). Drawmaps are dynamic, Skyboxes are static.

The difference between a drawmap and a skybox, is that the drawmap is relative to your perspective and the LOD limit. You can see a star from millions of kilometers away because it's huge in comparison to a planet, so the drawmap can have dots to symbolise that star in your drawmap, but a planet won't be seen, because it's too tiny to be even registered on the drawmap. But, if you move closer and closer to that star, the details on said drawmap will be higher, and as you grow even nearer, the star will become bigger and the planets will pop up in the drawmap.

It's exactly what NQ does with its LOD based rendering for the engine. The closer you get to the space station, the more details pop up, only in the drawmap's example, the drawmap gets higher and higher in defintion, until 3D objects pop up at a range you won't otice the transition from a 2D drawing to a 3D enviroment.

JC mentioned this in one of the videos where he rotated the sun around the planets to demonstrate the day/night cycle.

I couldn't say if there will be a sky box in the final, but the VAST majority of the stars will be procedurally generated. If not ALL of them.

Ahh I think that clears it up for me. I knew i had heard skybox somewhere. Thanks for the info.

That's what JC said on the DM21 interview. 

It's a skybox in their Dev build they use. Later on the testing process, they will transit to a drawmap of the actual universe, which everyone should be fine with. Let them finish building a star system, then move up to the universe :P

Actually, this is not the case. While there may be planets with only one biome out there, I believe there are also planets with multiple biomes, and the starter planet is one of them last I checked

Actually, this is not the case. While there may be planets with only one biome out there, I believe there are also planets with multiple biomes, and the starter planet is one of them last I checked

That's the plan according to JC on his interview with markeedragon on Youtube. They want to have multiple biomes that they can put together for a planet. Think of them like a palette of colors, which each planet having a spectrum of biomes. You would not see a cold world with a desert for example :P

That's the plan according to JC on his interview with markeedragon on Youtube. They want to have multiple biomes that they can put together for a planet. Think of them like a palette of colors, which each planet having a spectrum of biomes. You would not see a cold world with a desert for example :P

That's exactly what I expected. As we saw on the planet in the tech demos, it is a planet with multiple different biomes, but one overall temperature and feel to it. Makes it seem like planets will have a bit more diversity, but there will be overall types of planets. Lava planet would be cool though. I'd like to send some people who I know there. Call it an expedition. 

That's exactly what I expected. As we saw on the planet in the tech demos, it is a planet with multiple different biomes, but one overall temperature and feel to it. Makes it seem like planets will have a bit more diversity, but there will be overall types of planets. Lava planet would be cool though. I'd like to send some people who I know there. Call it an expedition. 

Fo sho, fo sho.

Question 5: Will there be planets that have only one biome? Planets with just ice or planets with just lava, planets like these (Sorry for the long images);  

Question 6: I'm well aware that the game will have cool futuristic cities but will they look as awesome as these; (Again, I'm sorry for the long images, hopefully the moderator that looks this over can shrink this down) 

Question 7: Will space look as cool as this; 

Question 8: If monsters are confirmed will they look as cool as these: 

Hi Doc, if you haven't seen the "official" DU videos which may answer a lot of the questions you've asked, just click on the forum post link below:

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10221-video-links/

I did, It answered some of my questions. Thank you. But If aliens do get confirmed will they be something like the cyber dragon I posted above? Or will they be something entirely new? (I'm okay with both but I'd really like to fight something like that dragon) and as for the one Biome planets, will they look as beautiful as the ice planet I posted or are the devs going for something different?

I did, It answered some of my questions. Thank you. But If aliens do get confirmed will they be something like the cyber dragon I posted above? Or will they be something entirely new? (I'm okay with both but I'd really like to fight something like that dragon) and as for the one Biome planets, will they look as beautiful as the ice planet I posted or are the devs going for something different?

We honestly dont know.:)

I'm not even sure if the devs know because what you are asking is very far into the future.

We saw some concept art of ice biomes. At least thats what it looked like to me.

But as far as alien creatures go we will only have very limited fauna at launch. I highly doubt that will include something like your cyber dragon.

But who knows maybe you can inspire the devs. ;)

We honestly dont know. :)

I'm not even sure if the devs know because what you are asking is very far into the future.

We saw some concept art of ice biomes. At least thats what it looked like to me.

But as far as alien creatures go we will only have very limited fauna at launch. I highly doubt that will include something like your cyber dragon.

But who knows maybe you can inspire the devs. ;)

I could inspire them? How so? 

And do you have a picture of the concept art?

I doubt we will see fauna as large as the cyber dragon you posted.

Dual Universe is intended to be almost exclusively player v player (conflict as well as combat).
Also, Dual Universe is much more Sci-Fi than it is Sci-Fantasy.

It will be interesting to see what players will create, though.

Should be quite easy for the devs to create spectacular ice planets.
But, they haven't shown us what they can do with biome variations yet.

I could inspire them? How so?

And do you have a picture of the concept art?

I'm looking for it.

Its not on the website so now I'm thinking it was in the kickstarter video. I'll have a look.

And by inspire I mean you can collect images of alien creatures that you like. Then make a thread with those images in the idea forum. People will comment on what they like or dont like and maybe the devs will read it and get inspired.

Like every other suggestion on this forum.

Though the devs do have an artistic vision for this game.

:)

Ok I couldnt find the image I had in my mind. So I'm most likely wrong and thinking of a different game.

But I did get this for you.

Its from twitter.

Dual Universe

Dual Universe‏ @dualuniverse

@kaieivindm @SunkenMonk Planets covered with ice: there's a high chance. Desert planets: already in pre-alpha. Water planets: not sure yet

Ok I couldnt find the image I had in my mind. So I'm most likely wrong and thinking of a different game.

But I did get this for you.

Its from twitter.

Dual Universe

Dual Universe‏ @dualuniverse

@kaieivindm @SunkenMonk Planets covered with ice: there's a high chance. Desert planets: already in pre-alpha. Water planets: not sure yet

Okay, thanks a bunch!

I know there is also a very obvious answer to this question but will there be spectacular views of planets towering over the one you're in at the moment(Like the ice biome, one of the cities and the planet with that dragon)? I've seen the videos and I know they already have them but will they be as jaw dropping and impressive as the ones I've shown? Will there also be a weapon builder too?