New video: Multiplayer Ship building in spaaaaaaaace

Muttley

I wonder how the ship is controlled. Just a thought, but as there is a cut just as the player enters the cockpit perhaps it's currently on rails?

I don't know about 'rails', but maybe they had a headless client piloting. So it looks like there is no one (either that or the guy seems really short or non-existent currently?), but, you could be right as well. 

OH WOW, this is glorious!

Deff an impressive build for a pre-alpha! and to think, players are going to be able to build much much bigger than that in the actual game.

Voxel Element Blueprints would also speed this process way way up after some initial work making modular corridor sections and outer plating designs!

So the dynamic core unit provides power to up to 6 elements using conduits?  That could make design very interesting.  Is there a fuel tank somewhere?  Would you need multiple DCUs to provide more power for weapons and shields?  I realize that this was just a pre-alpha skeleton they were putting together but I had that thrill go own my leg.  That was beautiful.

So would we ever mass produce large ships with blueprints and factory units?  Or would that only be for say, sections, that would be assembled by hand?  I could see mass produced fighters, but large ships...

I assume that we'll have dozens of different style engines, and we'll also be able to cover them with cowlings that will armor them.

I'm just jazzed, keep the content coming!  Better yet let backers have the pre-alpha client and we'll make content for you!  xD

So would we ever mass produce large ships with blueprints and factory units?  Or would that only be for say, sections, that would be assembled by hand?  I could see mass produced fighters, but large ships...

I guess you'll just have to build a factory big enough to find out whether its all by hand or you are able manufacture it by automation. But then again, they may deem that knowledge something we need to know and they may bestow it on us. 

However, assuming you can automate large ship production, imagine the size of the facilities you would need to have.

So the dynamic core unit provides power to up to 6 elements using conduits?  That could make design very interesting.  Is there a fuel tank somewhere?  Would you need multiple DCUs to provide more power for weapons and shields?  I realize that this was just a pre-alpha skeleton they were putting together but I had that thrill go own my leg.  That was beautiful.

I assume that we'll have dozens of different style engines, and we'll also be able to cover them with cowlings that will armor them.

I'm just jazzed, keep the content coming!  Better yet let backers have the pre-alpha client and we'll make content for you!  xD

Where did you read that? Core Units are meant to be the initial building block of the construct, not its power source. The Core Unit creates a grid around it in which the Core Unit's owner's voxels can't be edited by other players. Elements are tied to the power source's wattage. Bigger engines, more watts, more stufff you can have on board a construct running. The Core Unit, is just a registry on the server, telling it whome said collection of voxels and Elements in its grid belong to. Dynamic Core Units are Core Units that can have momentum, mass and motion applied to them. Static Core Units, are for things like buildings, which shouldn't move. 

Provide quotes or links to your claims. Mine, are in their frigging Facebook page  

3D Art of the week: The Core Unit!

For any construct a player will build, it will require a Core Unit as the first block. This Element contains all the information about the ownership and admin rights (who owns the construct, who can use it, who can edit it, etc). The size of the Core Unit defines the size of the Building Zone around it, and the type of the Core Unit can define which kind of construct you can build with. Dynamic Core Units are for the mobile constructs such as spaceships or hovercrafts. Static Core Units are made for building houses, outposts, or even skycrapers in a city! The models shown below are the smallest sizes: they respectively have a side size of 1, 2, 4 or 16 voxels (equivalent to 25cm, 50cm, 1m or 4m).

Please, provide links if possible to your statements.

Thanks.

Where did you read that? Core Units are meant to be the initial building block of the construct, not its power source. The Core Unit creates a grid around it in which the Core Unit's owner's voxels can't be edited by other players. Elements are tied to the power source's wattage. Bigger engines, more watts, more stufff you can have on board a construct running. The Core Unit, is just a registry on the server, telling it whome said collection of voxels and Elements in its grid belong to. Dynamic Core Units are Core Units that can have momentum, mass and motion applied to them. Static Core Units, are for things like buildings, which shouldn't move. 

Provide quotes or links to your claims. Mine, are in their frigging Facebook page  

Please, provide links if possible to your statements.

Thanks.

I've been chastened on discord already.  In my defense, they were hooking the engine up to the DCU with some kind of driveshaft or conduit so it looked like a power source.  Is there a document that has the current information about construction or is it all over the place in posts and interviews right now?

I guess you'll just have to build a factory big enough to find out whether its all by hand or you are able manufacture it by automation. But then again, they may deem that knowledge something we need to know and they may bestow it on us. 

However, assuming you can automate large ship production, imagine the size of the facilities you would need to have.

That's why I'm thinking shipyards will have factory units for sections that get moved by a tug to an assembly berth and welded together by hand.  This is going to look badass when we're building megastructures in space. 

I've been chastened on discord already.  In my defense, they were hooking the engine up to the DCU with some kind of driveshaft or conduit so it looked like a power source.  Is there a document that has the current information about construction or is it all over the place in posts and interviews right now?

Yeah, made that comment lots of hours ago :P