The *Financial* System?

I know that NQ have been very informative on how markets will work, and how products are bought and sold, however, has there been any thought or information thrown around about the actual financial system? How will the financial system run - similarly to real life? What would be the role of banks (if they even existed as the game mechanics allowed)? What about loans, or investments, to people who don't have the funds to undertake large projects. Could banks store people's money (or would that even be necessary)? What about groups or companies that could go public, and have people buy stakes in them in order to raise funds, just as in real life?

I just figured this was all food for thought as it doesn't seem to be something that's been explored yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that NQ have been very informative on how markets will work, and how products are bought and sold, however, has there been any thought or information thrown around about the actual financial system? How will the financial system run - similarly to real life? What would be the role of banks (if they even existed as the game mechanics allowed)? What about loans, or investments, to people who don't have the funds to undertake large projects. Could banks store people's money (or would that even be necessary)? What about groups or companies that could go public, and have people buy stakes in them in order to raise funds, just as in real life?

I just figured this was all food for thought as it doesn't seem to be something that's been explored yet.

What prevents you from building a bank?

Banking is player-player interaction, it doesnt need explicit mechanics for it.

Want a loan? Ask a player.

We do the same thing that happens in EVE online, we create our own banks. I don't know much about the stock market, except that it exists.

We do the same thing that happens in EVE online, we create our own banks. I don't know much about the stock market, except that it exists.

...I'm pretty sure that every bank in EVE has been a long-con scam. Is there a single one where someone hasn't just taken all the money and run?

Not saying that it's guaranteed to happen, but banks have been tried before. Could be different in DU, but are you willing to take that risk? It's up to you.

Player run banks are built on trust.  If players find out a bank has taken their goods and fled, that banker will be hunted down and definitely won't function in a banking capacity again.

Same goes for loans a bank gives to another player.  What prevents that player from just taking the money and running?  Because not only will there be a bounty happening, but that player will not get another loan from anyone.

And those are the mild consequences.

...I'm pretty sure that every bank in EVE has been a long-con scam. Is there a single one where someone hasn't just taken all the money and run?

Not saying that it's guaranteed to happen, but banks have been tried before. Could be different in DU, but are you willing to take that risk? It's up to you.

So? Players need to make sure THEMSELVES that they can't be scammed, that's the point. There are enough loans and banks in eve which guarantee that and are near impossible to scam you