mod support

wickedcody123

what about the little but annoying bugs or if the dev are too buys to fix or look at every littel report there is

Too busy? It's THEIR JOB to fix bugs in the game they've created. If they don't "have time" to do that, then they've failed as game developers

Too busy? It's THEIR JOB to fix bugs in the game they've created. If they don't "have time" to do that, then they've failed as game developers

but they might need to fix something else that need a lot of work then who knows how much bugs will get via 

lets say you make a mod for this game and it ends up going into the game, are you willing to continue development for the next 15 years with out being paid for it? while you pay $15 a month to play the game yourself.

on top of the fact that this is a single shard mmo, which means every person that plays DU ever will play on the same server. this also means that every mod that would be made would also be forced on every player the game ever sees.

if you have some great ideas for the game or somethings you would like to see the ideas forum is the place to outline them. development is so early on this game at moment that its very possible that the really good ideas could very well make their way into the game.

so moral of the story, although i do love mods for games like space engineers or minecraft. they just have absolutely no place in an mmo setting.

Please refrain from double-posting and *gasp* the fabled triple-posting. You can reply to multiple people within a single comment.

you are an team hi

Unlike that comment, keeping this thread on-topic, I believe that what you are referring to as 'mod support' in the form of the Steam Workshop, is, in general, impossible. Generally the only hard in-game content players can contribute to an MMO is alliance and group logos. CCP Has recently stepped that up to allowing player-made video advertisements on in-game billboards.

To put it in perspective. You're asking for an MMO comparable, such as World of Warcraft or Eve Online, to accept player-made NPC models, textures, sounds, graphics and code. I can not even begin to explain why that is an impossibly bad idea, within the contents of this comment.

However, since DU is still in pre-alpha, the community can make great contribution in the form of input, creative or otherwise, to the Developers who, to my knowledge, frequent these forums.

lets say you make a mod for this game and it ends up going into the game, are you willing to continue development for the next 15 years with out being paid for it? while you pay $15 a month to play the game yourself.

on top of the fact that this is a single shard mmo, which means every person that plays DU ever will play on the same server. this also means that every mod that would be made would also be forced on every player the game ever sees.

if you have some great ideas for the game or somethings you would like to see the ideas forum is the place to outline them. development is so early on this game at moment that its very possible that the really good ideas could very well make their way into the game.

so moral of the story, although i do love mods for games like space engineers or minecraft. they just have absolutely no place in an mmo setting.

a dont care about pay since i have an job

and it wont since you can remove add a no gun mod rule so and if they dont hvae hte mod more of a block with green and red texure

Please refrain from double-posting and *gasp* the fabled triple-posting. You can reply to multiple people within a single comment.

Unlike that comment, keeping this thread on-topic, I believe that what you are referring to as 'mod support' in the form of the Steam Workshop, is, in general, impossible. Generally the only hard in-game content players can contribute to an MMO is alliance and group logos. CCP Has recently stepped that up to allowing player-made video advertisements on in-game billboards.

To put it in perspective. You're asking for an MMO comparable, such as World of Warcraft or Eve Online, to accept player-made NPC models, textures, sounds, graphics and code. I can not even begin to explain why that is an impossibly bad idea, within the contents of this comment.

However, since DU is still in pre-alpha, the community can make great contribution in the form of input, creative or otherwise, to the Developers who, to my knowledge, frequent these forums.

coder? ok a was just trying to expain by steam workshop a gui look off it

It is perfectly clear. We are visited by some kind of extraterrestrial alien lifeform, and it try to communicate with us. But due to heavy pollution of Earth atmosphere, signals come somewhat distorted and obfuscate.

EASY THERE PAL. I resemble your statement and let me be perfectly clear, your atmosphere and by extension the air under it taste like what you earthlings refer to as "dog poop".

It's not always easy to keep a clear head on your planet. That is why we sometimes abduct humans instead of cows...worthless humans.

@wickedcody123

how on earth should mod support work in an MMO environment?

who should guarantee that the billion and one mods that will be tried to be pushed onto their servers arent game balance breaking in any form or combination?

how would you prevent uber cheat mods getting into there?

(trolololo i modded an uberlaser into the game with 0 mass and no energy or ammunition needs and a single rock as build cost! i own the universe now!)

(trolololo i modded in an uber refinery that makes indestructible construction material from rocks!)

who would be responsible if the mod you submitted causes a server crash with player data loss?

the list goes on and on and on and on.

you guys are anti mod right

No, but there is no way that a mmorpg can have mods. The reasons were said already, you just can't have content in a mmorpg that isn't supported by all clients, and you can't force players to download every stupid mod someone else created.

And no, placeholderblocks etc. don't solve the issue because interactions are important and mods don't necessarily just change textures.

Now what will be interesting would maybe some sort of API support for exporting in game data to a 3rd party program like in eve. Or maybe client side GUI "improvements" but we are still a long way off from that. As for wickedcody123 I think he is just trolling.

Now what will be interesting would maybe some sort of API support for exporting in game data to a 3rd party program like in eve. Or maybe client side GUI "improvements" but we are still a long way off from that. As for wickedcody123 I think he is just trolling.

I don't see how GUI improvements could work since the Devs plan on a widget style system to alter your ship console's appearence. Now, for tracking ships in a mass scale, yes, that would be awesome, but it's not something I can't see being possible for a ship's crewman to keep monitor of in a LUA scripted screen in the game. It's a simple inventory table script that keeps names and stats by consulting the server.

Wickedcody, you must come directly from steam early alpha moddable games that make you suffer and introduced to the bad player experience.

Well, MMORPG is not in the same category. What is new about this one is MMORPG goes alpha. I believe there will be a period of alpha or even beta testing before game starts for good because once the game world is official cannot be changed or altered much. It's players that will do so in boundaries of game mechanic. Developers can and probably will leave doors open for things like the addition of new items / blocks but it's up to them to control it and be aware of the balance at every single step. It is very easy to put something OP and destroy the economy or eliminate the usefulness of many players effort within one simple addition to the game. 

So the real opportunity to influence early development is to post ideas here. 

But don't expect mods on MMORPG game ever, read wiki about this genre and maybe you will understand why :)

I feel like if you desperately need to see something in-game, you should definitely make a post on what it is specifically. I know others have already said this but that's the way it is with single shard games. If you make concept art or flesh it out enough, hey, the devs might even do it :)

I feel like if you desperately need to see something in-game, you should definitely make a post on what it is specifically. I know others have already said this but that's the way it is with single shard games. If you make concept art or flesh it out enough, hey, the devs might even do it :)

To be fair, If I want my spaceman to look like George Takei, I'll simply edit the files to make him look like George Takei. "Oh my..."

As true as this is sometimes third-party developers just happen to do it better. Eve tried to emulate evemon (a third-party skill planning tool with TONS of features) and failed horribly. Other times these tools just would not work well in game. This is why I am hoping for some sort of API support for third-party tools.

So maybe they could outsource some of the design or such? Lol I think a pretty robust character designer would please the Cap'n ;) I thought I read though that they were more determined to control the design and artistic style of their game?

So maybe they could outsource some of the design or such? Lol I think a pretty robust character designer would please the Cap'n ;) I thought I read though that they were more determined to control the design and artistic style of their game?

I'm talking modding how I see models on MY end, not messing with the server. It would be for my silly entertainment, like when I made my tank paladin in WoW hold a two handed weapon as one-hand by altering the files. It's silly and it's funny :P Like, turning a rocket launcher into a pony and altering the animations to seem as if the pony is farting rockets. xD

Outsourcing game design is a very slippery slope. Now if someone creates something such as a market analyser and the dev want to implement it into the game and get help from the developer of said analyser that's different.

As for a character designer it really depends on if you are actually going to see you charicter if not then why bother? Though a detailed character designer such as eve or fallout 4 would be nice to have.

And indeed sir/madam you did. That quote comes from the Q&A.

Having modding support in an MMO is not only outright impossible, it's an incredibly bad idea. It can't be implemented as it would require all players to download it, making it an expansion not a mod. Allowing people to add foreign code is an even worse idea as what stops me from replacing all the models with big hyper visible objects and ruin stealth, or just straight up hack. Too much vulnerability.