Your Stuff, cargo, base, ship..... griefers?

I been Looking at this game for a few months now.   and latly the kick starter program.   

Im seriously interested in this game.

But i have a few questions that searching mindlessly threw the forums seems to be left unanswered ..

1.   You build a Small Base. via on a planet or Asteroid whatever. obviously this is where your gonna set up shop and have a place to collect resources for the time being and untill you can make a Larger ship or whatever ETC ETC ETC..      What keeps your hard work safe from others ?   lets face it. like all other MMO's or MMO simm's    there gonna be a selection of player who rather just ruin others fun for there own personal enjoyment.  as much details on this topic plz.

2.   I saw something about play solo..   this mean there a SOLO mode.. or ment as in its all open play but you can just stray off and do your own thing but there is a slight chance you may come across someone else.

3. if there are other mods.  are there going to be private group modes for just you and your friends to avoid larger player bases that would like to just over tax and control markets.

I read many forums about in game politics potential .  but at same time i see player groups or (fleets) in this case . basically making it hard for others to progress and or have a good online exp with DUAL Universe .       sry for the typos its been a long day.

What keeps your hard work safe from others ?

Your own guns, or those of a mercenary company you hire, or those of others in your organisation who are there to protect the build site. And potentially, depending on how they work, Territory Units, which are used to claim land. It's unknown whether they will prevent disallowed people from entering the territory or if it's simply an alarm that goes off. You can also build protective bubbles similar to the safe zone around the Arkship; however this will require extensive resources.

2.   I saw something about play solo..   this mean there a SOLO mode.. or ment as in its all open play but you can just stray off and do your own thing but there is a slight chance you may come across someone else.

3. if there are other mods.  are there going to be private group modes for just you and your friends to avoid larger player bases that would like to just over tax and control markets.

One mode, one single shard universe. Solo play is not a separate gamemode, just a lifestyle within the universe of the game.

You can build shields to protect your stuff. They need resources to function though.

That's no guarantee that your stuff won't be destroyed while you are offline.... This is an open world sandbox, be creative on how to secure your stuff. There are PLENTY of options

I been Looking at this game for a few months now.   and latly the kick starter program.   

But i have a few questions that searching mindlessly threw the forums seems to be left unanswered ..

1.   You build a Small Base. via on a planet or Asteroid whatever. obviously this is where your gonna set up shop and have a place to collect resources for the time being and untill you can make a Larger ship or whatever ETC ETC ETC..      What keeps your hard work safe from others ?   lets face it. like all other MMO's or MMO simm's    there gonna be a selection of player who rather just ruin others fun for there own personal enjoyment.  as much details on this topic plz.

I read many forums about in game politics potential .  but at same time i see player groups or (fleets) in this case . basically making it hard for others to progress and or have a good online exp with DUAL Universe .       sry for the typos its been a long day.

1. There are a number of mechanics to help protect your items/base. These include safe zones, protection bubbles (which when attacked have a 24-48 hour reinforcement timer) and territory control units, as well as just having someone there to protect your stuff. They all have varying advantages and costs. The truth is, however, your stuff is never going to be completely safe, not because people want to "ruin your day" but because that is how they make their living in the game/protect their interests.

2. There is no solo mode. If you saw anything referencing solo play, they were talking about gameplay styles that don't involve groups of players.

3. It is a single shard mmo, meaning no instances or separate servers. Everyone is playing with everyone else.

And you are right, there are a lot of different groups with a lot of different political ideas, some of them directly at odds with each other. If you look around you can probably find some that align with your views, and if not you can always start your own. It's a sandbox game and no one can tell you how to play.

1. Nothing.

Well... If you built in the safe zone it's safe.  If you didn't...  You'll have to have friends who will guard your stuff when you aren't on.  If you're a member of a large enough group with enough resources to create and maintain a safe zone generator... that can be set up.

2. It's an MMO  Massively Multiplayer. 

There aren't any NPCs to interact with or fight.  Your space ship takes fuel... you'll have to interact with someone...  And grouping up in organizations is an effective way to guard against other players attacking.  But Yes you can decide not to join any organization and find some corner of a planet to build under ground and hide from everyone... But is doing that fun for you?  You aren't going to be able to accomplish anything meaningful in this game without relying on and interacting with other people.

3. No.  There aren't any other Modes.  Everyone is on 1 server together.  There will not be any private server type things.

Territory Units [...] It's unknown whether they will prevent disallowed people from entering the territory or if it's simply an alarm that goes off.

Territory units (TU) will not prevent people from entering but will flag them as intruder. It as been answered in the AMA.

If you are flagged as not having permission to mine in my owned territory, can you still dig and mine, and just get flagged for breaking that, or does the game not let you mine or dig at all?

You will not be able to mine, but you will still be able to enter the territory (and be flagged for that), and possibly destroy materials by using weapons (if not in a safe zone) instead of mining equipment.

Then you can :

- If someone having the right to activate your scripts aroung, make any script react to this particular event in any way you can imagine like having a sound alarm goes off,  set your defenses to react to intruders etc... (see the LUA script devblog)

- Set rights to flagged intruders on your land (edition, mining, etc...) (see the right duties and management system devblog)

Also, the devs are wondering if they might allow simple traps/scripts to be triggered from farther or even run by the server but it would be limited for performance reasons. See last AMA :

You mentioned you have to be within a certain distance for your Lua scripts to be active, what distance roughly is that - a few hundred meters? a continent? a planet? or a solar system?

If your script is using a set of elements, those elements must be loaded to work. After a certain distance, elements get unloaded for performance reasons (no need to show details of things when you are far away). We don't have the exact numbers yet, this will depend on our optimization phase, but you can count on a few hundreds of meters. We may also add the possibility to mark certain elements as being more important, therefore persisting at larger distance, but this will be limited to a few of them for performance reasons.

So if you feel it should be a feature (like myself, push for it here on the forum!)

We have had so many threads about build protections and greifing, I recommend using the search bar to check a few of them out!

Basically there will quite a few options to keep builds and stuff safe. Anything outside the save zone can be potentially attacked, damaged, or destroyed, however it might end up being inconvenient enough to raid a well-designed base that this will be a non-issue except during times of war, and that would probably only really apply to large orgs with public assets.

Trust the devs on this one: they plan on striking a balance between PVP and non-PVP. Raids will be possible, but like Rust, it will probably be possible to build a base so inconvenient to raid that it wouldn't be worth it (except large orgs vs large orgs).