Twitter strikes again, asteroid video the long edition.

Hotwingz

One thing I will say is that large-scale building looks like it could be fiddly. For example, it could be very easy to create something that is a block or two off what you intended. I think they already have a grid system in place and they have spoken about a clone feature so that is a good start but other tools like the ability to 'snap to'  a particular point or axis would be very handy.

One thing I will say is that large-scale building looks like it could be fiddly. For example, it could be very easy to create something that is a block or two off what you intended. I think they already have a grid system in place and they have spoken about a clone feature so that is a good start but other tools like the ability to 'snap to' a particular point or axis would be very handy.

I agree snap to tools would be very useful. But its a little hard to get a feel for building from a video. I'm sure the dev team has been playing with the tools for a while now. Alpha feedback will be very important when it comes to the building features.

Pretty neat video with lots of building, but the thing that makes me want to cry inside is to think of how someone like myself will build all these neat things like that without the ability to fly. :/

You will have a jetpack to help you with building. So you should be fine. ;)

Pretty neat video with lots of building,  but the thing that makes me want to cry inside is to think of how someone like myself will build all these neat things like that without the ability to fly. :/

Your character will have a jetpack so yes you will be able to fly while building.

OHHHH MAN this looks FANTASTIC.

It reminds me of being able to build large structures out of Small Ship blocks in Space Engineers, but much much quicker because of the voxel tools they have shown us so far. I really dig this.

Question is, the way they paint-over squares in the video, will we be able to do the same with the edge of the slant shape (to "stamp" on a triangle)? And how would these paint tools work with subtracting from the construct using the erase tool? are the "painted" designs only surface deep?

I could see there being some really slick ways to add a ton of visual detail if painted on patters are only surface deep, as you could have a dark material color, paint on a light surface, and then "etch" a design using subtraction to reveal the dark underneath. I'm willing to bet that the paint tool is a shortcut for swapping out the material or block type for the voxel, so probably not going to work the way that I hope here, but still, so far this is looking fantastic!!!

I imagine the first few times this will be lots of fun and rewarding to do in game. But honestly I think would rather just gather the resources, design the layout and pay another player to actually build it. My patience or lack thereof and slight OCD would make building anything more then a simple structure a not fun experience. But yeah that's what's great about sandbox games, there will be a whole sect of players who will love nothing more than to build structures for other players.  

How can you design the layout without building the construct?

Illustrations? reference diagrams? Notes on graph paper?

Talented builders usually start the planning process with physical sketches, scale info, layout diagrams. A user could produce those documents and have a player actually build the thing.