Planet destroying wepons

Halk66

"because science" is always a good reason. I've been pushing "0 friction shielding" as a reason for collision damage to be a non-thing, but I've seen to many people wine about immersion breaking game mechanics that I made a false assumption about your stance.

Sounds like you've got a good explanation there though

It's always "because science" or "because magic," isn't it?   :D

Indeed, they might be. But, it has already been stated by a lead developer that planet-destroying weapons will not be present in the game. While no doubt super awesome, such a weapon would be just too powerful, and would have too great a chance to ruin the game for other people. Imagine players pouring countless hours of time and effort into the creation of a planet covered in a few large cities, only to see the entire world obliterated by the Interstellar Legion of Trolls. It would be a huge deterrent to builders if their work could be rendered non-existent and irrecoverable in a single moment. Thus, the maximum power of weapons will be intentionally limited within the game, to ensure everyone stays equally happy.

hmm no if the Weapon would shown to for evry player so evry one goes there and trys to destroy the Weapon just think about the epicnes!

You could.... COULD make something like this work in game but there would have to be so many restrictions and so many down points to make the planet busting weapons.. effectively useless.  Ideas i'd have to make such a thing balanced.

Cooldown timer: like you could fire it but only once a month or something crazy like that,

Firing Timer: How long it takes to actually fire the dam thing Could make for some interesting fast responding defensive measures

Costs of construction: Heavy Real heavy,

Controls: Could make it so that to even Man such a weapon takes a certain amount of people that way no one person could ever do it.

Impact Damage: The Damage would have to be Limited to destroying - the Surface- And No actually Obliterating the planet. I doubt planets will respawn -_-

Shielding: Such as all things Weapons need shields against them.. And making shielding against a planet buster would have to be more easy to make then the weapon.

Zones: Have the Weapon only work in heavy PVP zones, So specific areas only Can this weapon Fire or even exist in.

Power: How much power the Weapon needs. Example have it so it requires all the ships power to fire meaning said ship is Defenseless for counter attack.

Type of weapon: You could easily have Different type of weapons.. Like Lasers, Ion Cannons, Projectiles, Plasma etc kind of weapons that all have different effects when fired at a planet destroying level.

Speed: Any ship or massive structure that has this Planet destroying weapon cap its speed so it can't just fly around the universe too fast, Give Defenders a chance to detect this SOB that is coming to end them.

Sensors: Make it impossibly hard to hide such a weapon... so if a weapon is built with a certain power level capable of destroying worlds have it show up to - Everything in local and even a little distant peoples sensors Again to give Defenders a chance to see this threat and act accordingly  

With all the Categories i'f specified you could allow such a weapon to exist by using a combination of the things I've said, Yeah Planet busting weapons Screws other a lot of people building.. but if it can only be built in Certain zones? that is fine. And if everyone instantly knows when one of these is built they can counter attack it before it becomes a true threat. Encouraging large scale PVP In PVP zones, Because if you like PVP and built a large base or even a City in a planet and some one near by who is not friendly builds a planet buster? You Are going to do what ever it takes to stop that. :P

I'd Personally like to see such a weapon could make PVP interesting and can be a real game changer in politics And in galactic balance of power.

You could easily achieve such a spectacle by setting up a huge armada hovering above the planet's surface demanding surrender (and then landing a huge land invasion force that will get attacked by anti air turrets in the event of refusal, cultivating in a space, atmosphere, and land set of battles). In fact, that would probably be more interesting and tense than having some tiny ship show up with a doomsday weapon ready to blow the planet to hell. I'm sure the end to WWII would have been more interesting from a storytelling perspective (although certainly more horrific) had it ended with an enormous Allied assault on Tokyo than the bombs delivered by small fighters that no one saw coming.

You could easily achieve such a spectacle by setting up a huge armada hovering above the planet's surface demanding surrender (and then landing a huge land invasion force that will get attacked by anti air turrets in the event of refusal, cultivating in a space, atmosphere, and land set of battles). In fact, that would probably be more interesting and tense than having some tiny ship show up with a doomsday weapon ready to blow the planet to hell. I'm sure the end to WWII would have been more interesting from a storytelling perspective (although certainly more horrific) had it ended with an enormous Allied assault on Tokyo than the bombs delivered by small fighters that no one saw coming.

Well you'd make said OP weapon, Massive, and something that can't be mistaken for anything other then a planet destroying weapon xD

Well you'd make said OP weapon, Massive, and something that can't be mistaken for anything other then a planet destroying weapon xD

You could have a WMD like the one from 'Ready Player One' where it is completely unique (only one, ever) and it destroys all non-dev constructs in the system (so not the arkship or anything in a dev-made safe zone). This includes jumpgates, so those left behind will be stuck there until they can rebuild the gate connections. Could be an event item in an expansion called cataclysm.

They have already stated there won't be any planet destroying weapon.

Orbital strikes via Mass Drivers are fair game though, they won't be anything near the damage of an asteroid and they'll probably have a maximum damage bubble of a fifty meters.

They have already stated there won't be any planet destroying weapon.

Orbital strikes via Mass Drivers are fair game though, they won't be anything near the damage of an asteroid and they'll probably have a maximum damage bubble of a fifty meters.

consider it a developer tool to enhance the story, not a player item (like, set it off during an anniversary stream where the 'owner' of the weapon 'hacks' the stream, then announces a secret expansion) (I was bored during a lecture)