Well:

Planet Nine

Ross 458 c

Planets can be very far out, a distance beyond that of our Oort cloud should also be possible if the star (or a pair of stars in a binary system) has enough gravity to allow such distant orbits.

And as I said before, there are lots of rogue planets that are not even near any star (system).

Yes, but if you look at the picture of Ross 458 c's orbit mext to the picture of the Solar System, where the orbit of Neptune is a tiny spot in comparison, it is quite impressive. And this is one of the few exoplanets that have been found so far. As I said, heavy stars or multiple-star systems should allow even bigger orbits.

But anyway, the point simply was that interesting stuff far out is plausible enough to be included in the game, and because of the gemplay benefits mentioned, I think it would be great.

It must not be to scale, this is a game, not a scientific simulation. Just far out to the extent that it's dark, dangerous, and hard enough to deter many from visiting, yet promising enough for the dedicated explorers investing in special equipment to take the risk.

The biggest question i have is. Will we be able to mine Oort clouds and in fact will there be Oort clouds at all within a game?

I hope so! I think it'll be useful to have a variety of different sources to mine from. 

and how are materials more abundant in the oort cloud than, say, in an asteroid belt or on moons?

the oort clouds composition wont be that much different from the inner solar system, where theres enough mass to last for many many years.

especially for the tiny civilisation we play in DU.

so why bother flying noticeable fractions of a lightyear to get what i can get as easy on a planet right next to me?

An Oort cloud is essentially a very big Asteroid and comet belt (Well not a belt but very big none the less) And if you go up and look at the pic of the Oort cloud compare the size of the cloud to the sun, that is a lot of materials, a lot more than what would be available on a planet, and it would be quite easy to hide in the Oort cloud so can hide there to avoid bigger groups who may or may not want to tax every one for taking resources off of planets they have claimed.

I Personally believe that Oort cloud mining would be a great idea and provide a very large source of materials for those who are not lazy and can be bothered to travel, especially if you plan to build a very large ship in secret, Why do it on a planet in plain sight? Do it in the Oort cloud with an abundance of materials next to you and great cover from the inner solar system.

Resources aside if some aliens are or were present at some point they might have left probes located in the Oort clouds of some systems to observe the inner planets without interfering with any native populations.  Their original functions could include scientific curiosity, threat assessment and first contact consideration. If a monitored civilization does develop space flight then the creators of these probes might want to take a closer look to determine whether to invite them to their interstellar alliance, blockade the system and destroy any attempts at building spacecraft or wipe the civilization out entirely.  For our purposes we might be able to salvage some advanced technology from the probes.  We could also follow their transmissions to other alien facilities.  Of course those facilities might not always be entirely abandoned and messing with those probes might just attract their attention.

An Oort cloud is essentially a very big Asteroid and comet belt (Well not a belt but very big none the less) And if you go up and look at the pic of the Oort cloud compare the size of the cloud to the sun, that is a lot of materials, a lot more than what would be available on a planet, and it would be quite easy to hide in the Oort cloud so can hide there to avoid bigger groups who may or may not want to tax every one for taking resources off of planets they have claimed.

I Personally believe that Oort cloud mining would be a great idea and provide a very large source of materials for those who are not lazy and can be bothered to travel, especially if you plan to build a very large ship in secret, Why do it on a planet in plain sight? Do it in the Oort cloud with an abundance of materials next to you and great cover from the inner solar system.

"abundance of materials", about 5 earth masses for the sol system.

spread over a volume many many thousand times larger than the solar system.

mining or hiding isnt exactly effective if theres a single rock every dozend solar system volumes :P

"abundance of materials", about 5 earth masses for the sol system.

spread over a volume many many thousand times larger than the solar system.

mining or hiding isnt exactly effective if theres a single rock every dozend solar system volumes :P

Although, there's merit in having an outpost in those areas, given the nature of probes and how FTL jumps will be operating. You would need outpost to keep a watch on probes launched from a system you don't have a stargate set up towards, to deter any possible "backdoor" attacks onto a system.

There's merit everywhere good sir. Hiding, not so much. Having a "watchtower" in the midst of nowhere? That sounds like a job for people who wanna get paid much and see, HOPEFULLY, little to no action coming their way.