oort-cloud.png

So basically you're asking if we'll have Space Rain on the very outer edge of star systems? Let's hope they implement space wipers for our space wind-shields so we can see our space clearly while we go out to space.  :lol:

May I ask what you would expect to mine in a Stellar System's Oort Cloud that would be any different from closer in to the parent star?

Carbon and Silicon of course, Carbon fiber is a strong material and who know's what kind of light metals could be found out there.

Carbon and Silicon of course, Carbon fiber is a strong material and who know's what kind of light metals could be found out there.

You know, silicon can be found anywhere. Carbon as well. You could do in your back yard if you wanted to farm silicon, no need to go into oort clouds to do so.

You know, silicon can be found anywhere. Carbon as well. You could do in your back yard if you wanted to farm silicon, no need to go into oort clouds to do so.

Yeah but in the Oort cloud they can be found in bulk quantities, it could enrich an economy as well because it allows for more jobs.

Yeah but in the Oort cloud they can be found in bulk quantities, it could enrich an economy as well because it allows for more jobs.

It's like saying you'll extract and refine oil to make yourself some campfire mate. Bang two rocks together, done.

Planetary systems are very diverse. Many of the exoplanets which have been found so far are composed unlike any planet in the Solar System. So there may also be systems where amounts of certain elements that are sufficient for mining can only be found in the Oort Cloud.

Another interesting thing which definitely exists are rogue planets - planetary objects not orbiting a star. I read somewhere these would outnumber the stars in the galaxy. As in Oort clouds, it would be pitch-black there - one would have to rely on radar, night vision, searchlight, flares ...

In Jumpgate, there was one big dark asteroid between two jumpgates, lovingly christened "Emma" by the pilots; countless ships were lost by "kissing Emma" if one forgot to watch the radar carefully.

So, there could be dangerous places "out there" which can only be handled by experienced pilots with special equipment, who take their time to caerefully scout routes to rewarding destinations.

and how are materials more abundant in the oort cloud than, say, in an asteroid belt or on moons?

the oort clouds composition wont be that much different from the inner solar system, where theres enough mass to last for many many years.

especially for the tiny civilisation we play in DU.

so why bother flying noticeable fractions of a lightyear to get what i can get as easy on a planet right next to me?

and how are materials more abundant in the oort cloud than, say, in an asteroid belt or on moons?

the oort clouds composition wont be that much different from the inner solar system, where theres enough mass to last for many many years.

so why bother flying noticeable fractions of a lightyear to get what i can get as easy on a planet right next to me?

You need an oort cloud to farm enough silicon to craft huge boobs. 

Some people don't wanna live in spawn. As soon as we can me and my friends are gonna build a fleet and head out into the unknown. try to find a place to claim for our selfs. in order to do so properly we are gonna need supplies and maybe an oort cloud could be one way of getting some of those supplies.

Some people don't wanna live in spawn. As soon as we can me and my friends are gonna build a fleet and head out into the unknown. try to find a place to claim for our selfs. in order to do so properly we are gonna need supplies and maybe an oort cloud could be one way of getting some of those supplies.

you dont have to live in spawn while still being able to avoid travelling up to the largest part of a lightyear to get stuff :P

you dont have to live in spawn while still being able to avoid travelling up to the largest part of a lightyear to get stuff :P

This is a true story. But for those of us who will be traveling the verse it will be nice to have these types of thing. 

Not all systems are like our Solar System. Our sun is a rather young population I star, so the system contains relatively large anmounts of heavy elements that can form "rocky" planets like Earth or Mars. Those elements have been produced when older star generations exploded in supernovas. Systems with older stars than our sun have less heavy elements (lower "metallicity"), therefore are likely to have less planets which are also less "rocky".

Around old population II stars with very low metallicity, planets should be rare and mainly gas giants.

If a rather old star produces very strong radiation, the situation may seem paradoxic: Despite consisting almost solely of light elements (gases), in such a system gases could be a rarity in the inner system. Rocky planets, if any exist, should be small with low gravity, so they won't keep gases as atmospheres against the strong radiation pressure. The star will strip these planets from any atmosphere and blow the gases away, so they should only be found in the outer rims of the system.

So there can be systems where you won't find all ressources in convenient reach, and heavy elements can be completely missing.

and as oort clouds are as far as i can tell created from the same nebula as the star itself they'll have similar metallicity as the whole system.

whereas you again have no advantage in flying that far out to mine them.

also: as the oort cloud is theoretised to have only about 5 earth masses of material, good luck finding any of those rocks in a volume many times larger than the inner solar system.

With other systems likely having similar oort cloud densities

Having all ressources in one place is boring. Gameplay, especially exploration, is way more intetesting if it has substantial benefit. This thread has gone beyond Oort clouds in systems very similar to our Solar System. I think enough background information has been provided for plausible incentives to explore exotic regions of space.

You don't want space (destinations) to be diverse, interesting, exotic, dangerous? Just want to hop from planet to planet? And only cute little cozy planets with lots of flowers and sunshine?

Having all ressources in one place is boring. Gameplay, especially exploration, is way more intetesting if has substantial benefit. This thread has gone beyond Oort clouds in systems very similar to our Solar System. I think enough background information has been provided for plausible incentives to explore exotic regions of space.

You don't want space (destinations) to be diverse, interesting, exotic, dangerous? Just want to hop from planet to planet? And only cute little cozy planets with lots of flowers and sunshine?

you call whole solar systems "One position"?

and why are you insinuating me for not wanting differentiated environments from my statements that (even remotely) realistic oort clouds are mostly boring and completely uneconomical except for fringe cases we wont hit in the game?

You were speaking of a planet "right next to me". A whole solar system is ok - if it has exotic, dangerous, yet rewarding destinations. That's what I'm talking about, not just Oort clouds - could be far out, exotic planets, asteroid fields, alien relics, or whatever. And as incentive to leave the system to explore others, all conceivable rewarding destinantions should never be available in one system.