Stealth

Wallfacer

Thoughts on how stealth elements should be implemented in this game.  Often they are not done well.

My thought is that if a construct is allowed to be entirely stealthed, it should take a while to charge up weapons before it can begin firing.

Ideally, stealth would only apply to radar and sensors, but not visuals.  

Thoughts?

Yes visually as well imo.  How weird would it be to see a ship but can not lock on or see it on your radar?  I'd think there is a bug or something tbh.

As far as a while to charge up weapons it can't be op of course but it should be a choice that works in terms of being offensive.

As far as visual stealth goes, camouflage paint will be the most basic type.  Spaceships in deep space could be painted black, for example, and tanks meant for desert fighting could be tan and brown.  We'd eventually be able to make active camouflage that checks the terrain you're on and changes color to match, and the quality of the camo will depend on the quality of the scripts (and possibly the quality of the computer the script is running on, how many scripts are running, etc.)  There's also just hiding underwater or underground.  Giving how easy it is to dig in this game, I expect subterranian warfare would be an especially effective tactic. 

For electronic stealth, it's dependent on the method being used to sense targets.  

Active sensors like radar and sonar send out a pulse and can tell you the size, range and direction of a target based on how that pulse gets reflected back.  Materials, coatings and even the angles at which the waves impact the target determine the detection range and accuracy of these sensors.  Countermeasures such as chaff (aluminum foil strips) can confuse or dampen these signals.  If you are using radar or sonar, you yourself are easily detected.

Passive sensors include infrared sensors, radio direction finders and hydrophones.  You look for electromagnetic spectrum and audio emissions of targets.  That's why your fleet maintains radio silence.  These sensors make no emissions so are excellent for remote, hidden observation posts and/or for use on stealthy vehicles.  They can be mitigated by low heat and quiet drive systems (which would generally be lower performance) and shielding of electronic components (which adds weight) as well as noise and light discipline (don't use flashlights at night, don't use your voice chat when you're waiting in ambush.)

I would hope that there would be levels in sensor detection and stealth elements.  For example, a low level stealth element can hide you from low level sensors, but not higher level sensor elements.

I like the idea of being forced to use color as visual camo as opposed to active visual camo.

My biggest concern from looking at the pre-alpha build is that anyone in visual range will automatically be displayed on other user's HUD.  If I build a relatively "hidden" base on a mountain, I don't want my icon to pop up on someone's HUD a mile away when I look outside.

As long as there are options to keep my ship and person from showing an icon on other player's HUD's; I can live it.

I would hope that there would be levels in sensor detection and stealth elements.  For example, a low level stealth element can hide you from low level sensors, but not higher level sensor elements.

I like the idea of being forced to use color as visual camo as opposed to active visual camo.

My biggest concern from looking at the pre-alpha build is that anyone in visual range will automatically be displayed on other user's HUD.  If I build a relatively "hidden" base on a mountain, I don't want my icon to pop up on someone's HUD a mile away when I look outside.

As long as there are options to keep my ship and person from showing an icon on other player's HUD's; I can live it.

I agree. Since things are all vulnerable in this game, it should be rather difficult to find hidden bases and such. I always hate when you take the time to build a hidden base and someone finds it because they see your name through the ground.

I hope there is some sort of a stealth element in the game. 

Maybe some sort of short range radar jammer?

Yeah i hope icons don't show up from like 10km away or something even if your not looking at them. 

The Solar Empire is looking for Stealth and Recon fans to be Scouts. We also need some one to be in charge of the division. I would but my plate is already over flowing as it is  :D !

I hope there is some sort of a stealth element in the game. 

Maybe some sort of short range radar jammer?

Yeah i hope icons don't show up from like 10km away or something even if your not looking at them. 

The Solar Empire is looking for Stealth and Recon fans to be Scouts. We also need some one to be in charge of the division. I would but my plate is already over flowing as it is  :D !

I'm more concerned with personal stealth than ship stealth.