Kickstarter update 21: New asteroid mining video & details on combat

Muttley

All the textures and lighting look amazing already.  Damn i can't wait to play with those voxels.

So many questions though.

I wonder how Gravity will work off of planets on asteroids or space stations?

How much movement will there be in a solar system.  Will things like that asteroid be spinning or orbiting a planet eventually?

Will planets rotate and orbit their sun?

Three things struck me.

Firstly, it would be really useful to have a pattern library (maybe just your own or a community one) that you select from and apply to surfaces. This would have been useful when the player was adding the yellow diagonal blocks to the floor.

Secondly, NQ should have been releasing this stuff at the start of the Kickstarter

Thirdly, some of the edits in that video were messy. While I REALLY appreciate NQ not going all NMS on us and giving us actual in-game footage, it does no harm to spend a little more time on story direction and editing 

I guess that NQ will improve these tools a lot (this is pre-alpha!!!) and we will be able to have presets to let us make corridors and other things faster.

I guess that NQ will improve these tools a lot (this is pre-alpha!!!) and we will be able to have presets to let us make corridors and other things faster.

In one of the other videos when they go inside the large space station you can see some of the decorative (mesh) elements used to create the interior corridors.  So if you want you'll be able to simply plop down an element to decorate a corridor.

But also if you were to build/decorate a corridor yourself out of voxels like in the video you could save a portion of it (make your own preset) and copy/paste it to speed things up.

Damn, now I know how a junkie getting their fix feels like

But also if you were to build/decorate a corridor yourself out of voxels like in the video you could save a portion of it (make your own preset) and copy/paste it to speed things up.

This is was confirmed in the Q and A JC did back at the beginning of the kickstarter.

This is rather interesting.

I do like the idea of having textured/patterened blocks, gives you a better feel for how things should look. But i'm also really enjoying the lighting just the over clean look.

As far as i'm concerned, the only thing missing is some form of window element.

Seeing the player float at such a crazy angle with their arm extended out was a bit silly....

BUT! Overall watching this vid made me stoked to play the game.  Can't wait.

This is rather interesting.

I do like the idea of having textured/patterened blocks, gives you a better feel for how things should look. But i'm also really enjoying the lighting just the over clean look.

As far as i'm concerned, the only thing missing is some form of window element.

Glass voxels = problem solved. Unless you plan on opening windows in the vacuum of space...  :P

It was the best update/video in the kickstarter by far, especially the information we got for the combat mechanics. It's also nice seeing more gameplay too. The visuals are already gorgeous and that soundtrack is just OP!

Glass voxels = problem solved. Unless you plan on opening windows in the vacuum of space...   :P

Sliding doors would be nice. 

But yes, the glass voxels would be the ideal solution.

This video has me super excited! I wish they had released this sooner; it probably would have drummed up a lot more attention for the kickstarter.

One thing I wish there was would be is things like doors/cargo elevators, but I'm sure those will come in time.

I have a question.

Is there an undo function to put back something you just mined?  or alternately can you build using the raw materials so any damage can be repaired and still look like the natural formation?

Why would I want such a thing you might ask...

Well say I'm trying to hollow out an asteroid to build a base in... and I accidentally break through to the outside...  I'm going to want to undo that ... or repair it with raw materials so it looks the same as it did.

I have a question.

Is there an undo function to put back something you just mined?  or alternately can you build using the raw materials so any damage can be repaired and still look like the natural formation?

Why would I want such a thing you might ask...

Well say I'm trying to hollow out an asteroid to build a base in... and I accidentally break through to the outside...  I'm going to want to undo that ... or repair it with raw materials so it looks the same as it did.

Yes, you will be able to actually! 

They showed this off in an earlier video; https://youtu.be/6dPmVdMU434?list=PLA_lhIAGheMF-urA3BTdVCEIJ8SWeYMQE

@1:50 - 2:00

Though, I'm not sure how matched up it would end up looking :P 

This video has me super excited! I wish they had released this sooner; it probably would have drummed up a lot more attention for the kickstarter.

One thing I wish there was would be is things like doors/cargo elevators, but I'm sure those will come in time.

It sounds relatively easy for doors and elevators to be implemented into the game...  they do have some concept art for basic doors that slide open and such.

An elevator would be perfect for deep mining, instead of just making the surface area of the whatever a giant crater.

Noticeable drag in the space ship flight model, when landing.

I'll actually be happy with just about ANY flight model, because imho, its a small part of the game.  But it WOULD be nice to have a little inertia...

Being "Pre-Alpha", I'm not that concerned.