If you could prioritize DU features...

Kurock

GTFO here with your spreadsheets! *bonks on head* No but seriously this is one of the things im excited for when it comes to this game, a game like EVE with building WITHOUT the damn spreadsheets  :D  :wub:  

Haha true. There will still be spreadsheets galore but they won't be as prevalent as in EVE, I imagine.

I'd like to add to the END of the list.

You know, after all the good stuff is added.

When we start interstellar exploration, I would like to see (at some point) NPC aliens. 

I'd like to run into  some friendly races that might have their own laws regarding materials (so that we could have some decent smuggling).  I don't believe the RDMS will do smuggling justice.  The only way to do it right is with NPCs.

And who doesn't want to eventually run into a hostile alien civilization?

I would enjoy having some hostile NPCs to spice things up in the game, but I don't think they will implement any sort of system for smuggling to them. It would have to be a very on-rails sort of system, too. For starters, that would go against the spirit of the game, which is that players create everything, so adding a bunch of non-player driven elements would go against that. Secondly, since all ships are custom made by players, it would only be a matter of time before people "beat" the smuggling game. They would design ships or devise strategies that would allow them to complete their trade runs ever single time, which would turn the smuggling into grinding: both boring and potentially unbalancing to the game's player driven economy. It would take a lot of development time for the developers to continually tweak and update the smuggling gameplay, which is time they could have spent making more elements for ships or improving other gameplay mechanics.

Like you and Twerk talked about, smuggling between player groups will likely not be as glamorous as people imagine it to be. Certainly not like the movies. As you mentioned, I doubt any group is going to really work hard to arbitrarily outlaw certain commodities. Most smuggling will be in the form of tax evasion or transporting cargo through "dangerous" areas of space.

Like you and Twerk talked about, smuggling between player groups will likely not be as glamorous as people imagine it to be. Certainly not like the movies. As you mentioned, I doubt any group is going to really work hard to arbitrarily outlaw certain commodities. Most smuggling will be in the form of tax evasion or transporting cargo through "dangerous" areas of space.

I agree but its possible that smuggling could include things like transporting military assets. Troops, tanks, resurrection nodes stuff like that.

If you want to plan an insurgence it might be useful to get some of your assets on the ground incognito style.

1. Diverse and interesting process for collecting and refining resources

2. Contract System for performing tasks/quests for other players

3. System for un-associated players to build a city

4. Survival game-play, resources and logistics

Don't care about CVC, and frankly don't get it why so many do. If I want my daily dosage of killing, I play Battlefield.

I would like to contribute more to the slogan of this game, which is, guess what, NOT "kill each other", bur rather "Rebuild civilization together".

Pretty much what Dhara said, but then I tend to be a builder.

Add to that, regular updates of texture libraries so everything built doesn't look like it came out of the same Siberian factory.

oh, and almost forgot,

Breakfast served by provocative personnel 

CvC

Character customization. ... like ... extensive body mods and gear... (in a future tech world genetic mods and cybernetics should allow for the maximum of character diversity)

In game voice... with modulation and lip sync if possible.

Systems for player made things ... models... items... decals... sounds... etc to be added to the game for everyone's use... be that through competitions or other content drive requests.

Free flying camera controls... maybe even "cinematic filters" for recording videos and taking screenshots.

I wouldn't be surprised if CaptainTwerkmotor erects a giant statute of himself as close as possible to the arkship and force new players to walk beneath him...

I have a colossal Ego after all, it's only logical I erect a colossus of myself.

I agree but its possible that smuggling could include things like transporting military assets. Troops, tanks, resurrection nodes stuff like that.

If you want to plan an insurgence it might be useful to get some of your assets on the ground incognito style.

ABORT MISSION.

They know about Operation : Bunny in the Cake!

MAY-DAY MAY-DAY! EJECT! EJECT!

1. CvC(someone has to buy my tanks)

2. Beginnings of intersystem exploration

3. Custom logos to be put on constructs

4. In game tools or information on territories/political system

5. A fringe NPC element at the edge of explored space. One that a player would have to fight and clear to claim new systems or worlds.

6. Survival mechanics that would include the need to farm, increase the value of elements like hydrogen and oxygen.

1. CvC(someone has to buy my tanks)

2. Beginnings of intersystem exploration

3. Custom logos to be put on constructs

4. In game tools or information on territories/political system

5. A fringe NPC element at the edge of explored space. One that a player would have to fight and clear to claim new systems or worlds.

6. Survival mechanics that would include the need to farm, increase the value of elements like hydrogen and oxygen.

That would require the servers to sacrifice player slots in favor of a concept that goes against the game's very nature. It's about Players driving the lore, not aliens, or w/e Cthulu race out there. And there's no "explored" space. The space is unexplored and perpetual in a way. We start from one star system and then go outwards.

But animals are a fair game. They are simple AI to code. Make me a planet that has like, space dinosaurs, or even worse, spider-wolf creatures and we got on our hands safari planets, which incidentally, are the best planets.

Yea it shouldn't be anything that would impact server load or lore significantly. Hostile creatures like your spider-wolf creatures would be enough. Something to provide players with a PVE element more than just going somewhere, mining, and then building whatever. The need to keep things safe from hostile players or organizations will be enough for most of us who are already interested.

Yea it shouldn't be anything that would impact server load or lore significantly. Hostile creatures like your spider-wolf creatures would be enough. Something to provide players with a PVE element more than just going somewhere, mining, and then building whatever. The need to keep things safe from hostile players or organizations will be enough for most of us who are already interested.

Yeah. That's my sentiment on this as well. I aim on doing some planet-hunting for them sweet sweet rare minerals, and I want to have to look for threats around me. They did say on Kickstarter some alien animals will be present, so I guess will have to do with that until the mighty spider-wolves are introduced. Make them attack only at night and we got ourselves nightmare fuel, which not surprisingly, is the worst kind of fuel.

My opinion is they should implement animals and such, sure... but when they get to "spider-wolves" as you call it, they need to take their time and do them right.

Most games these days, even the ones meant for survival don't take the time to do it right.  Once they (NQ) get to the point, if they ever do, they can't simply implement a spider-wolf that attacks players and call it good.  They need to implement massive brutes that can destroy constructs, or fast and plentiful mobs that can take down any team traveling where they shouldn't.

However, I am also realistic in that this won't be reality for a long, long time... if ever.

Coming at this question from my perspective as a DevOps Engineer (I'm a Senior DevOps Engineer for a fairly well-known software company that creates tools for developers, there's a chance NQ might even be using our software.)...

Server Hosting and Code Delivery Infrastructure should absolutely be the highest priority. This list needs to be addressed (which I'm sure it has, but who knows to what extent) before any executables are ever delivered to the Alpha Testing group. I firmly believe that the state of these things will determine the quality of the end-user experience, and these aren't things that should be an afterthought (which is why I don't doubt many of these have already been addressed, or are in the process of being addressed).

That includes (in no particular order because I'm too sleepy to think or debate about which one of these is the most important):

• Deployment and Cluster Management Automation - (This one is most likely already taken care of for the game server architecture, and I have to believe the other servers that NQ is hosting aren't getting code deployed to them manually all the time)
  • Monitoring - (And an on-call escalation path, if a server endpoint goes down in the middle of the night, who is going to get the notification, how are they going to get it, and what kind of SLA's will NQ need to meet?)
  • Continuous Integration - (Another one that is very likely being addressed already, because nobody in their right mind ships software in 2016 without CI)
  • Continuous Delivery - (Continuous Delivery is the ability to get changes of all types—including new features, configuration changes, bug fixes and experiments—into production, or into the hands of users, safely and quickly in a sustainable way. Many of the items on this list fall under CD)
  • Continuous/Automated Testing - (Before code goes into production, there should be some health checks)
  • Server Hardening - (anything public facing at the very least, but this one kind of goes without saying...)
  • PagerDuty - (or a similar platform that provides those kinds of notifications)
  • Failover Planning - (or just a mechanism for failovers period, like replicated database slave nodes, etc)
  • Backup and Recovery Planning (there should probably be a plan in place for handling server compromises ahead of time)
  • Internal Documentation for every system that goes into production - (When the engineers get a call at 4am that the servers are offline, documentation can either be one of the most helpful things available, or one of the least helpful if done poorly)
  • Dev - Staging - Production environments - (I imagine this would be the test server, and ideally there should be a dev environment that mirrors production just to validate that everything works properly before being delivered upstream)

I am cognizant of the fact that this thread is about gameplay features, however, so my personal preference list would be...

• Client Stability
  • Skill Mechanics
  • Sound Effects
  • Materials and their Textures
  • UI customization
  • LUA Functions Documentation
  • Engineering Mechanics (Wiring, Power Sources, etc.)
  • Multi-Crew Ship Features
  • First-Person Combat Weaponry
  • CvC

oh yeah... In game bug reporting that automatically gathers config info and any pertinent in game info... time... server... whatever.

Now this doesn't exactly apply because this is a 1 server environment... sorta...  But I've been in a few betas where there were several servers and the in game /bug report system still required you to type in server names... character names... map coordinates... and attach config files.  If there was a crash it should attach the most recent crash report...

All of that should automatically be grabbed by the bug report system leaving just the description of what happened for you to type. 

I can't play till beta, when I assume the game will be feature complete, but:

1. Moveable constructs (i.e., ships)

2. Moving parts

3. Tracks (trains etc)

4, Replenishable resources.

5. Salvage

6. Star maps

7. Stargates

8 Avatar appearance (i.e. take off the space suit and put on a little black dress :) )