Will Dual Universe Be Free To Play?

Policebrett

Most of the information you need can be found on the Kickstarter page.  From that page, you can see the following information:

How much will Dual Universe cost? You won't have to buy the game itself, and the game will be accessible with a "free to try" limited access (the limits are still in discussion but will be related to things like the amount of skill, money and/or places you can explore). The full game experience will be available with a monthly subscription at a price at launch that is comparable to similar products on the market (typically around $10-$13/month or 10€-13€/month depending on the country). However, it will be possible to play for free by activating a 30 days time coupon (Dual Access Coupon) that you can buy on the in-game markets. You can also buy a DAC from Novaquark (at a price at launch of 18€/$18) to sell it on the in-game market in exchange of in-game currency.

It's far too early to say what the minimum specs this game will be. Even Novaquarq don't know at this stage. Remember, that there is no game as of yet, only the basis for one. (That goes for any pre-Alpha or Alpha build.)

Whenever considering the minimum requirements you will want to take note not only the supported OS but also the minimum requirements for GPU, CPU, and RAM. I suspect that if you are running Windows 7 (the time for free upgrades to Win 10 has sadly passed) your system is already fairly old and I would not count on it being able to run this game. But I would caution that this is speculation on my part.

Hey Muttley, if I remember correctly JC said that if you have a high level system today it would most likely scale to medium settings when the game releases.

I run a Nvidia 760 currently but I fully expect I'll have to upgrade to participate in the alpha.

When it comes to the business model it's going to be P2P, the game it self will be free. And as said above noone really knows the specs needed yet.

As Falstaf said, NQ think that a modern day highend system will probably be around recommended specs in 2018 when it releases. So that's probably an Intel i7 4790K and Nvidia GTX 1070/1080, or whatever the equivalent is by 2018. These are pretty expensive parts right now, but they should be cheaper by then (there's already a successor to that CPU and Nvidia will probably have a new graphics card out by then). Also worth mentioning is that Windows 7's official support ends in January 2020 so you should definitely have upgraded to 10 (or 11) by then.

Sure. If you commit yourself to the game, it would be free to play - providing you make enough in-game currency to buy the playtime with it.

And Novaquark has said they are trying to keep specs to a minimum. Though I feel their goals are noble, in that they want people to be able to play this on very low end systems, I would argue that you would probably still want a reasonable gaming PC by today's standards - though nothing like what you'd need to play something like Star Citizen :)

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Jegleebow20 said:

Nope you will have to pay a monthly fee or buy time from other players

Not to be a dick, but necroposting to reply to a question from 2016 is not what one would call "constructive".

Especially when others have answered this already - and the OP has moved on to more Korean MMO pastures :P

• 4 months later...

Hi EchoSpark,

Current packs are for backing the game. Higher packs gives you access to the game in its development version (pre-alpha) which is unfinished and lacks a lot of gameplay and refining.

Of course, there is no subscription cost before the release.

After release, the game download will be free and you will have to pay a monthly subscription.

~ Merwyn

• 1 year later...

i am just wondering cause i am a bit confused on how this dac thing works. 

120$   60$ 180$

if i get one of this.  how long do i get.  is this a month to month payment  ?

is this a one time fee into alpha is over ? 

what is the dac used for ? is that like tokens to play then game  like plex in  eve online

i tried looking it up  but there is so much he said she said how it works  that got us a bit confused..  

can you please clear this info up for us.  thank you.

23 hours ago, dragonart777 said:

if i get one of this.  how long do i get.  is this a month to month payment  ?

is this a one time fee into alpha is over ? 

what is the dac used for ? is that like tokens to play then game  like plex in  eve online

All of alpha and beta plus 1 month per dac after release if you use them. It is like plex in Eve.