Eurogamer

kulkija

Seriously, can people (youtubers, article writers, blog posters etc) stop comparing any f*cking space-related game to no man's sky when the core mechanics and focus of games involved are clearly unrelated ?

Jeez... I have nothing against the game itself, but I'm sick of this NMS trend... It's litterally everywhere, especially where unrelevant !

EDIT: sorry, I slightly derailed the topic, I didn't even bother reading the article... The title itself turned me down... I took my chill pill and gonna read it now.

Seriously, can people (youtubers, article writers, blog posters etc) stop comparing any f*cking space-related game to no man's sky when the core mechanics and focus of games involved are clearly unrelated ?

Jeez... I have nothing against the game itself, but I'm sick of this NMS trend... It's litterally everywhere, especially where unrelevant !

EDIT: sorry, I slightly derailed the topic, I didn't even bother reading the article... The title itself turned me down... I took my chill pill and gonna read it now.

Lol, I was about to comment with a snarky comment to read the article.

It is actually pretty good, it goes on to briefly cover what the effect has been from NMS for NQ to deliver Dual Universe via Kickstarter.

Okay, back on track.

JC  is absolutely right when he says NMS hurt the indi devs and caused a general distrust towards crowd-funded games these past weeks/month. 

I'd say this is not the first time people are "fooled" by unrealistic game designers who can't tell when the bar is too high... Peter Molyneux is a prime example and has been cited, rightfully so, to be quite the man to over-hype his games and under-deliver (ie Fable series, Milo) despite his brilliant career and multiple incredibly successful games under his belt.

However, people are learning from Murray's mistakes. Novaquark is a very good example of clear communication and setting realistic expectations, but they are not the only ones. The folks behind astroneer (another game that had the NMS-like trend slapped on it by various media outlets) recently made a post about what can be expected from the game, especially during its alpha stage.

This is a very smart, appropriate and sane move from an indie dev who will heavily rely on its community to fund its development... Personnally, I think the mayhem caused by the "NMS debacle" as some like to call it, was for the greater good (as painful as it can be for Murray and his dev team).

Devs are now more open about their projects and the development cycle they are getting through. They know they have to, because people will now be more careful about how and where they put their money in. So yeah, it's a hard time for indi devs, but it's for the better for the backers, and maybe some people will now think twice before trying to fund an unreliable or unrealistic project.

So, yeah. Crappy title but excellent article :D

NMS was a flop that threatened to push into fraud territory. Every crowd funded space game will have to deal with that until someone (most likely Star Citizen) succeeds. (And then DU will be the next SC and money will just roll in, lol).

It's true that NMS had an huge negative impact on the DU Kickstarter, but i also see a lot of people backing away from it because of the subscription model and the EVE-like combat style. I'm ok with it and understand why they need to follow that path. It's the trade-off to enable the single shard universe to work at first place but that scares a lot of people away unfortunately!