The complexity and expense of TU's will basically limit their use to large-ish organizations which will lead to political borders as in RL. But will there be some mechanicism that allows "private ownership" of land? That is, if an organization wants to rent out smaller parcels of its 1km TU to individuals or companies (e.g. a government allowing private land ownership within it's borders), what might that look like in-game? It seems like there should be some kind of mechanism that facilitates that, right?

So what you're suggesting is a sort of miniature TU inside of a larger one, which people who have access to the larger TU might not have access to? I think it would complicated but it's a good idea. Companies might get large and you wouldn't want a whole bunch of people having access to all of your stuff. So there would be small areas which only you and the owners of the normal TU have access to. Makes sense, certainly something that people would eventually realize they want!

Setting up small land parcels, basically defining a volume that someone can build in is a a must otherwise its going to be really hard to have "cities" in any meaningful way.

You could even have a hierarchical system where owners of a building/ship/station could define spaces for individual room/apartments/warehouses that could be rented out.

I hope that NQ is thinking on the same wavelength here, it seems like something that would be coveded by the "Rights and duties managment system"

Everyone is going to want a apartment/house/warehouse in the ark zone so there is going to be a serious need to be able to efficiently subdivide and rent out areas

I hope that NQ is thinking on the same wavelength here, it seems like something that would be coveded by the "Rights and duties managment system"

Right, I figure the RDMS would have to cover it, but I don't know how and haven't seen it discussed. It would need to be able to visually and functionally divide TU's into many smaller units that are still governed by the rules of the larger TU, but that have their own sub-sets of rules as well.

So what you're suggesting is a sort of miniature TU inside of a larger one, which people who have access to the larger TU might not have access to? I think it would complicated but it's a good idea. Companies might get large and you wouldn't want a whole bunch of people having access to all of your stuff. So there would be small areas which only you and the owners of the normal TU have access to. Makes sense, certainly something that people would eventually realize they want!

Yeah, basically a subset of TU's that are governed by the larger one.

If it isn't implemented at launch, I think people would realize the need for it very quickly.

I see the future of TU's as political territories without much room for anything else (maybe some exceptions). If those larger territories don't have customizable sub-territories of some kind (e.g. private property), then... well, it's hard to imagine all the potential issues you'd have with property use, construction, and trespassing conflicts within a densely populated territory.

edit: I did just notice that in the dev's RDMS post they mention a not-yet-made post about "territorial management." So, I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Crowfall, another Indie Dev KS game is doing the same type of system. You own land and can subdivide it out to rent it to other players, let guild mates or friends have some land in your "kingdom". They are also a small budget small team so shouldn't be very hard for this Dev to have similar system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feudalism

I think large Orgs will be able to decide for themselves how the land is distributed or used.  But it's been said before, it's possible to play this game solo so we would probably be able to trade for a TU eventually.  The issue will be getting the prime locations, which will take time to establish themselves.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure this will be included in the rights and management. Portion of the game

If not, it will force the TU owner to grant build permissions to everyone they would allow to build, then hire "building police" to ensure they stay within their own boundaries. This could get really messy though since as the city grows, they would have to keep up with not only the new builds, but make sure current builds aren't added to in a way that crosses that line.

In short, let's just hope they intend on including it in RDMS. :)

If not, it will force the TU owner to grant build permissions to everyone they would allow to build, then hire "building police" to ensure they stay within their own boundaries. This could get really messy though since as the city grows, they would have to keep up with not only the new builds, but make sure current builds aren't added to in a way that crosses that line.

In short, let's just hope they intend on including it in RDMS. :)

I hope so. By the way I always get confused at first when I see TU because my first thought is of the Terran Union haha

I agree. Being able to subdivide territory is a must and being completely integrated into the RDMS system. It must also be possible to subdivide in a three dimensional cuboid for subdividing skyscrapers.

It should also be possible to subdivide a subdivide. For example renting some land and building a skyscraper then renting your skyscraper out. 

This should also not be limited to Territory Units. You should also be able to subdivide a station and a large ship construct ie crew quarters. 

grant build permissions to everyone they would allow to build, then hire "building police" to ensure they stay within their own boundaries. 

In the same way we lay out voxels, can't an owner just swoosh their arm twice to predesignate a three dementional zone for the renter to build withen?

Any time the renter tries to build outside that zone the object they're trying to build either doesn't appear, their suit brings up an error, or any other logical thing you can think of. *shrug*

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of the Ark shields territory will be dependent on force ultimately. How orgs manage their conquered/claimed assets will be up to them to decide. I suspect large orgs will have renters who conduct industry and such. Imagine controlling an entire star system and how an org manages that will be as complex (and profitable) as they're willing to go. And that last as long as they have the guns to hold it.

I would definitely hope for an ingame mechanism for renting out chunks of land within your claim territory; even something resembling an ingame real estate market. It should have a way of locking out other players, ideally a slightly simplified RDMS for that area; the ability to build your own stuff within it but also connect with outside constructs. Players inside of the claimed territory would be safe from the outside and also each other (until someone takes down the 48hour shield). I think that the game code itself should enforce certain laws. Crime might be interesting, but inside of a claimed territory vandalism, murder, and theft should be simply impossible.

The ability to rent or sell specific chunks of land within a claimed territory could allow for the building of diverse cities. Players could come together without having to learn to trust each other first. Many people coming together each for the their own reasons. If only people in the same faction, or who trust each other, can build within the same claimed territory then that will nearly prevent the appearance of true cities. When you move to a city in the real world, you don't need to gain the trust of everyone who was there before you right? Most people move because of the opportunities present at their destination. All you would need is the money to buy the land, materials to build your home, and the willingness to obey local laws.