Will asymmetrical ships be possible or will they need to be atmospherically stable?

Anopheles

• 3 months later...

And while you can have asymetrical ships. Positioning of ship thrusters according to mass will be something we need to pay attention to.

And while you can have asymetrical ships. Positioning of ship thrusters according to mass will be something we need to pay attention to.

However, you could have an engine balance script that can keep the centre of thrust aligned with the centre of mass to help solve the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

The short answer is yes

The long answer is yes, its possible however i doubt it will be very common because balancing the thrust will be much harder if the craft is not symmetrical. If you have a script that can auto do this though taking battle damage becomes less of an issue for ships and will probably have people building them just to try their had at building an odd looking ship. Im more expecting ships to be symmetrical on the outside but asymmetrical on the inside as people change things around to fit what they need the ship to do.

It looks like (according to January dev update) in space, yes you can. But center of mass will start to play a role in planet gravity.

this made me warm and fuzzy on the inside. Warm and fuzzy. 

I look forward to the many crazy designs for space combat fighters only.

The short answer is yes

Im more expecting ships to be symmetrical on the outside but asymmetrical on the inside as people change things around to fit what they need the ship to do.

This brings up another aspect of asymmetry, that of mass. As mentioned above, placing the thrusters correctly to balance thrust will be key. So, if I make a ship that is perfectly symmetrical on the outside, but load up one side more than the other on the INSIDE, that would unbalance the ship, requiring more energy from the thrusters on that side of the ship, or for them to be placed differently than those on the lighter side.

Do I think asymmetrical ships will exist? Absolutely!

The best ship-builders will know how to balance ships whether they are a perfect circle or look like a sideways vase.

The thing people will really need to watch out for is building their own ship and assuming that exterior symmetry = perfect balance. This will be especially true in smaller ships, as it may not be possible to fit all the necessary components down both sides of the center-line equally. You might have to put the computers on one side, and counterbalance them with the oxygen generator on the other, for example.

It will certainly be interesting to see how things develop considering all the factors at play!

This brings up another aspect of asymmetry, that of mass. As mentioned above, placing the thrusters correctly to balance thrust will be key. So, if I make a ship that is perfectly symmetrical on the outside, but load up one side more than the other on the INSIDE, that would unbalance the ship, requiring more energy from the thrusters on that side of the ship, or for them to be placed differently than those on the lighter side.

I guess this is where scripting a cargo balancer will help

Yes, but I was actually referring to someone building the interior off-balance, not just loading the cargo that way. However, it should be basically the same script as far as thruster balancing is concerned.