What the hell is this?

Hampius

4 days till the end of KS campaign and you release this (can't call it otherwise) crap?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949863330/dual-universe-civilization-building-sci-fi-mmorpg/posts/1700295

Come on, you can be better than this! I've withdrawn my money from KS, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be backing the game up again, but I need to be convinced! I need to feel that you know what you are doing, but I can't see it at the moment. You show a video of three people building a spacecraft...great idea and all, but one person built like two lines of voxels (how sophisticated...sigh) and other two added pre-made elements. If this is what the engine currently allows for, it's just even worse than Landmark before 2014...

Either do not show such vidoes or show some really good stuff - people creating cities or bigger, more complex ships made of more complex voxel shapes, because at the moment it just looks simplistic. In other words - bad marketing from your side...

Kind regards,

H.

Hate to say it, but I agree. 

I loved the hidden hangar and the feel of the area. Then I see 3 people creating a few boxes and adding a few pre-made items. Then we get a wonderful top view (0:38 second of the video) and see the wings aren't even symmetrical. :facepalm:

Not a fan of minimal-effort videos. While I have no doubt the KS will be  funded, I think it could have gone much better with some more solid videos where you can see there was an effort putting the time in. 

To be fair I was hopeful for a bit more game play being shown. But I don't doubt for one second the potential of this game. It looked good to me, and it's not even in proper alpha yet. I just wanna see some more content!

I think a couple people just decided to throw some things together real quick to show that it could be done with multiple people.   I'm not going to give them grief for a quick fun video that you just throw out there.  I certainly don't want NQ to think that they shouldn't put any communications out there that has not had the art department sign off on, run through a production company, and have music from the Ecole Normale Superieure Chamber Quartet.  Unless people prefer that there is less informal communication and everything has been run through the local spin doctor.

I would also love to see some more game play videos of DU,  the current videos i keep finding all over youtube in interviews are practically all the same and not showing much of anything. 

We get that you can build with a voxel editor, and that you can fly. 

What about mining for resources,  how does that even work?  Do you use a voxel editor, or are there tools?  How time consuming is it 'actually'.

I for one would love to see a video of certain things not in 'god mode with unlimited resources'  An example of how long it actually takes to find resources on foot starting off as one would just joining the game, and how long it actually takes to mine some resources, even if its just a few pieces. 

What about organizations and customization of said organization,  such as roles and permissions,  these would be interesting things to see so that the players have more of an idea of how the gameplay will actually take place, instead of leaving it to us to dream and imagine of things that may not even be possible.

"Great critics" of games here xDDD Give them ready nice looking game! Give them great video (yeah, spend days for that, take away everything you working on, start to do video)...

For those "Great Critics", all videos shows technology, not gameplay! But it is hard to understand for you.

Goodbye! Another "I remove my pledge"!

Less negative players like you, so that is good!

If you think about it, the devs have work to do developing the game. They made this to show that you can build one ship with multiple people; not to show the extent of the building capabilities of the current game because that would have taken more time.

The trouble with a game company trying to be really transparent, is that sometimes the unfinished pre-alpha looks like an unfinished pre-alpha.

This video is pretty much what I expected, except I wasn't expecting multi-player-construction to even be in their pre-alpha. It isn't pretty, but very effective.

Pretty silly to withdraw a pledge over that. If you pledged it means you already saw enough to think you'll like the game and want to help support it. These updates are more aimed at those who haven't yet or are on the fence about pledging. Plus they've already shown ship building and such in previous videos, so again rather over reactionary on your part OP, IMO.

Could the video been longer? Sure but like others said they aren't going to overdo it on production levels of these video. There been 17, actually 18 as a new update just got posted, so if one update out of many pushed you away then likely you weren't really into the game as you thought.

"Great critics" of games here xDDD Give them ready nice looking game! Give them great video (yeah, spend days for that, take away everything you working on, start to do video)...

For those "Great Critics", all videos shows technology, not gameplay! But it is hard to understand for you.

Goodbye! Another "I remove my pledge"!

Less negative players like you, so that is good!

No, it's you who do not understand how really successfull campaigns work - releasing 1 minute video that shows practically nothing doesn't do good. It gives the opposite effect (and believe me, I know what I'm talking about, I've been working in PR/Marketing departments for the past 10 years).

I can understand it's the pre-alpha gameplay, but it's a kind of gameplay you don't put as an update to KS campaign, because it updates nothing - it shows nothing new, it shows nothing impressive, in fact, it shows the lack of what it really should show - the ability to trully build whatever people want to. 

I'm being emotional in my first (and probably this one too) post, but it's because I really would like to see DU success. The idea itself is innovative, but somehow, DU stuff is unable to express what they (hopefully) want to achieve. Right now I am only full of doubts which weren't changed over the past updates...

No, it's you who do not understand how really successfull campaigns work - releasing 1 minute video that shows practically nothing doesn't do good. It gives the opposite effect (and believe me, I know what I'm talking about, I've been working in PR/Marketing departments for the past 10 years).

I can understand it's the pre-alpha gameplay, but it's a kind of gameplay you don't put as an update to KS campaign, because it updates nothing - it shows nothing new, it shows nothing impressive, in fact, it shows the lack of what it really should show - the ability to trully build whatever people want to. 

I'm being emotional in my first (and probably this one too) post, but it's because I really would like to see DU success. The idea itself is innovative, but somehow, DU stuff is unable to express what they (hopefully) want to achieve. Right now I am only full of doubts which weren't changed over the past updates...

Ok, you showed your face... I don't like your video, I won't support you... Now we tell you goodbye. You bring nothing except negative. You created a thread full of negative and no any constructive feedback. Don't expect you to be respected for this kind of action.

We don't need your excuses.

I suggest banning instantly for phrases "You do that, so I have withdrawn my pledge/money".

It would be a waste of time and money to throw something together that is more polished at this point, and you shouldn't even want that...that is what NMS did and later had to go back on a bunch of things. What they have shown so far is damn impressive and either you back it or you dont but if you withdraw your pledge based on NQ releasing a rough video showing of some tech they're working on, maybe you should lower your expectations.

This is what happens when Devs try to be transparent and truthful to the current state of their pre-alpha demo..lol. I mean, they always said the demo was still very limited compared to what they want to do. No idea why some people think it's already possible to build huge cities or ships by hundreds of players at the same time when NQ do not even have the servers to begin with (why wasting money on that at this stage?). You will have to wait for the alpha to see that type of stuff. 

Good grief. 

So, let me just tell you all. I've talked to JC. All your assumptions are completely unfounded.

It is true that we need to have concerns, but this is only alpha. Not to mention, if you took the time to research this and educate yourself before making this thread, you couldn't argue this. There have been plenty of points in the past where they have showed gameplay footage on their youtube channel. The fact that you can come on here, argue about the campaign, and then spout all this is stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dualthegame

Now, if you're going to argue any more, take a look and watch everything in there. If you are going to argue that they aren't making their point, well then this obviously isn't the game for you.

The reason I am so readily able to discuss this is due to the fact that people who are looking to stop backing Dual Universe or argue that other shouldn't back this are a complete hinderance to the community. I do not care if you're arguing about the fact that the Kickstarter isn't what you want it to be or whatever, your opinion doesn't count more than the next person. So instead of criticising Novaquark and the community, maybe ask some questions and we'll be more than happy to give you answers. The more you ask reasonably, the better.

Trying to leverage your pledge to force NQ to do what you want definitely shows a lack of respect for them.

Imagine if that actually worked... what a horrible game we would end up with, if they caved in to every demand?

I would love to see more video of them doing more complicated building but we don't have that yet.  Personally i hope it's because they are busy working on letting us actually play the game ourselves.

To many other companies these days are happy to spend thousands producing videos of things they haven't even started yet.

Just that I can build a ship with voxels that will fly blows LM in its current state away, let alone in Alpha. 

Don't forget...No Man's...well never mind. I'm not in the mood for death threats.

If I remember right, Hampius withdrew his pledge awhile back, and he is expressing this video update doesnt make him want to re-pledge. Honestly he is trying from the looks give some good narketing advice as there are a ton of gamers still not backing this game for one reason or another.

Maybe more of them would come here and tell NQ what they want to see so they are convinced to back it, if they were not all attacked when they do.

And yes NQ has a strict budget and probably not a whole lot of marketing dollars....so I would listen to someone that is giving his free professional advice.

Just that I can build a ship with voxels that will fly blows LM in its current state away, let alone in Alpha.

Casually overlooked that the main features of DU are all pretty much there so far, and the main features of LM was an MMO that got canceled ;)

If I remember right, Hampius withdrew his pledge awhile back, and he is expressing this video update doesnt make him want to re-pledge. Honestly he is trying from the looks give some good narketing advice as there are a ton of gamers still not backing this game for one reason or another.

Maybe more of them would come here and tell NQ what they want to see so they are convinced to back it, if they were not all attacked when they do.

And yes NQ has a strict budget and probably not a whole lot of marketing dollars....so I would listen to someone that is giving his free professional advice.

Well GalloInfligo, I do think that it would be good if people express their ideas. As that is the foundation to a community. I'm not going to argue for them when they go ahead and try to stir up trouble.

There are almost always points that can be made if you were to argue, but not all arguments are right. 

What's the problem that all of us are trying to argue, is that we can't continue on making these arguments left, right, and center that are just criticism and don't offer any solutions.

The person who started this had some valid points. Although, the problems that he started were made present from the moment he started this. Some people sided with him. Others against him. Then after that, the most problematic thing of removing your pledge, basically ransoming NQ for money in order to get a feature, is not only wrong, but is the worst possible thing you can do.

I can state that marketing could have been better. That is obvious. The fact is that arguing that the marketing wasn't good enough for you to be convinced is wrong. Then pledging, and removing your pledge is even worse. He backed the game, but then removed it because he had something to complain about. I'm not saying that people don't have the right to change their mind and express their opinions. I'm saying that he decided to attack NQ because of this.

Everyone has a point to make. When you go ahead and try to say that people can't get their point out because the community attacks them is not correct. If they make their point in a concerned statement expressing their ideas, the community most of the time won't attack them.

In the same boat honestly. NQ benefits nothing from community members always praising them and bashing the naysayers. Even in this case, Hampius isn't being a shitler, just stating a rather blunt opinion with some assumed experience behind it. Hear him out, rather than bash him. 

If one update out of 18 so far and the Q&A info is enough to not make one pledge or withdraw a pledge then they likely weren't really into the game as much as they thought. Thats not attacking thats just stating the reality of the situation. If the concern is the video in question wasn't very good thats fine can agree with that actually but again this is one short vid of many they have already released.

Im just wondering where everyone was when other members did this exact thing, threatening to rescind their pledge if NQ didnt make DAC's loot able. That one got an official post requesting our views on DACs from NQ, but this members first post on his questions and doubts was for the most part ignored