Currency name?

Khaymann

Make the name into Grapes for Gold, Skittles for Silver and Carrots for Copper. See how fast people will die laughing conveying the worth of aship.

"How much did it cost Jorge to buy this ship?"

"Oh, just 9516 Grapes, 251 Skittles and 1 Carrot. It was a fire sale!"

Hmm.

But currency in physical form - like cards, chips, coins or whatever - sound really promising. It can be stolen, you must carry/store it, you can loot another player... "Virtual" currency (only numbers on some account) is somewhat less appealing.

PS: Can you imagine level of logistic operation to perform if you will need transport few billions of currency to pay for capital ship? :)

I think everyone here is missing the topic.

DUK - Distributed Universal Kredits

UTU - Universal Trading Units

ASK - Autonomous Space Kredits

These are obviously not what you would see in game, but hopefully something that steers this thread back on course  :D

I think everyone here is missing the topic.

DUK - Distributed Universal Kredits

UTU - Universal Trading Units

ASK - Autonomous Space Kredits

These are obviously not what you would see in game, but hopefully something that steers this thread back on course  :D

Or you know.

Just "Shmeckles".

@Captaintwermotor

I thought we settled it was goats?

On a serious note though, they did mention in one of the devblogs that there would be player made banks, which implies the ability to have a currency. My guess will be it is faction based, and named by the faction.

Seeing as us players are in charge of shaping the economy, society and pretty much, the entire universe, I'm not surprised if we are also charged with creating a currency(s) that will need to be universally accepted. Each faction may end up with their own currency. I'm guessing that the largest organizations and factions will take the lead with the economy, meaning me may end up with 3-4, perhaps less, perhaps more, different currencies to deal with. A single unit of anyone of these currencies need to be worth the same as a single unit of another, that or we'll need conversion rates. My Mars dollar needs to be able to buy the same amount of Mars lollipops as my Jupiter Dollar did. Otherwise, some currencies will be worth more than others, which is what is happening here on Earth already. The EUD is worth $1.47 AUD, and so on.

All things to keep in mind.

Currently, there is no plan to enable players to create their own currency, for several reasons:

- Risk of imbalance: If there is something that needs to be stable for a sandbox game, this is the in-game economy. 

- Development priority: Many features are quite long to develop (even the basic ones). And as this type of game mechanics implies a complex game design behind it in order to work well, it would cost a lot of development time. And for now, it's far from being in priorities

- Fun to play: We are not entirely convinced that enabling players to create their own money would be fun on the long run, nor really very easy to understand and master for most of the players (look how the economy in real life is complexified just by that). While we don't want to go "mainstream" in the game design of Dual Universe, we don't want either to go for a game that will only appeal to a very small population of players. We also need numbers to create a MMORPG full of player-driven stories!   ;)

Again for the record, players cannot create their own currencies in DU. There will be a universal currency from the beginning that everyone will use.

Again for the record, players cannot create their own currencies in DU. There will be a universal currency from the beginning that everyone will use.

Fair enough. I guess that settles things.

Actually, the devs put it eloquently. Players won't be able to create ther own VERSION of a currency. Chances are you're going to mine for Cashium-1337 to convert to in-game currency. Which would keep the game's liquidated assets in check AND create a need for warfare over planets that are money pits due to Cashium-1337's presence on the planet's crunchy crust.

Actually, the devs put it eloquently. Players won't be able to create ther own VERSION of a currency. Chances are you're going to mine for Cashium-1337 to convert to in-game currency. Which would keep the game's liquidated assets in check AND create a need for warfare over planets that are money pits due to Cashium-1337's presence on the planet's crunchy crust.

Something along the lines of this is surely going to come about. If not, people will probably find some other reason to go to war.

Currency in and of itself is still bartering, if its looked at objectively. We all agree with a piece of paper or metal that looks a specific way and is comprised of certain materials has a specific value. Bartering in its truest form.

Go to the grocery store for a gallon (yes I know, Imperal..yuck) of milk and you pay with three small sheets of paper with a certain picture on them - three one dollar bills - or you might pay with one small sheet of paper with a different person's picture on it - a five dollar bill - and get two sheets back with the first guy's head, and your gallon of milk...because the second sheet is deemed of more value than the first.

And before someone with a financial background like myself says 'that is FAR too simplistic!!!', this is very true...but its a minor argument for a minor point...bartering is bartering, currency or not.

Currency in and of itself is still bartering, if its looked at objectively. We all agree with a piece of paper or metal that looks a specific way and is comprised of certain materials has a specific value. Bartering in its truest form.

Go to the grocery store for a gallon (yes I know, Imperal..yuck) of milk and you pay with three small sheets of paper with a certain picture on them - three one dollar bills - or you might pay with one small sheet of paper with a different person's picture on it - a five dollar bill - and get two sheets back with the first guy's head, and your gallon of milk...because the second sheet is deemed of more value than the first.

And before someone with a financial background like myself says 'that is FAR too simplistic!!!', this is very true...but its a minor argument for a minor point...bartering is bartering, currency or not.

Absolutely, but you CAN have a gameplay aspect of "Gold Rush" with an idea like an element that can't be crafted, can't be used for construction and can be converted into physical currency.

The way I see, scamming is much much easier when you barter, this is why the currency is needed in the first place. Cause not all are street-wise :|

Since NQ is based out of Paris I think they would want to use a currency from there country of origin. I would think they would use something like a Euro but then having the rich history maybe go back to Franc (F) or (FF) or maybe the New Franc (NF). Either way i will be more then happy with whatever they come up with.

Since NQ is based out of Paris I think they would want to use a currency from there country of origin. I would think they would use something like a Euro but then having the rich history maybe go back to Franc (F) or (FF) or maybe the New Franc (NF). Either way i will be more then happy with whatever they come up with.

Just because CCP did it, does't mean NQ has to do it.

Barter: exchange (goods or services) for other goods or services without using money.

Barter: exchange (goods or services) for other goods or services without using money.

Well, even if people will use bartering as merchants, I can't see mercenaries being paid in bananas. Because, you know, money would be untraceable (in-game that is, not in the real world) , and its value is the same as an object throughout the server.