Standings

No, you are correct. There is no way currently to know which organisation is working with which one, is included in another or is virtually at war with yet another.  At least not before the game begins :)  Should there be?  I am sure there will be someone will make a graph at some point.  Like the one over here, but for relationships not numbers.

Cinderfall does maintain such a database, but mainly it's for administrative uses and honestly, wouldn't be much help to anyone. It's not like we know all of the secret alliances and pacts between organizations anyway.

No, you are correct. There is no way currently to know which organisation is working with which one, is included in another or is virtually at war with yet another. At least not before the game begins :) Should there be? I am sure there will be someone will make a graph at some point. Like the one over here, but for relationships not numbers.

I'm glad you brought this back to my attention as I had dismissed it and went to look for info on how standings between organisations work. I did not find any structure in the game plans to facilitate standings being marked in game. I hate to use eve as an example but the red or blue system works great. What defines a good or bad relationship with two or more working parties in the game? Don't we need to see this information instantly to know if Somone is hostile or friendly? I assume we're not going to have enough to time to look up different organisations web pages just to check on this kind of info before combat is initiated?

Why only red and blue? I would like a neutral color as well like green.

Yes there are many more colours showing different levels of standing between players and corporations. I just wanted to use it as an example but not suggest it should be done the same way as eve. It could be done in many different ways like numbers or names for different levels of security.

Suggestions please :)

How about a tree?

Like :

Org 1<---------Ally---------My org  

\                      /        |       

\                   /         |

Foe           Foe      Foe

\             /           | 

\          /            | 

Org3---Ally--Org4-

I think the standings issue also brings up the issue of being in multiple organizations. How do people know which organization people are in? In most games (EVE included) there is a sort of ticker name that is displayed along with the character's name, but that can't work if people are in many different organizations. Say someone is a member of a neutral trade group and also of a more combat oriented group, and that someone else (who is an enemy of the combat group but an ally of the trade group) runs into this person. How do they know which group this person is acting as? Are they the neutral trader, or the hostile combatant? And will that be the same the next time the person is encountered? 

I suppose this might encourage a policy involving "follow the worst standings" but surely that would cause problems of its own (such as limiting the ability of neutral groups to function, or disincentivising membership in multiple groups ).

Why does it even matter? I hate the idea of a standings system that players don't make themselves (a.k.a Intel and Communication Units).

***Just roleplay it***

It's an RPG first before it's a FPS or 4x Grand Strat, and emergent gameplay before that - NQ isn't meant to be doing your work for you.

Why does it even matter? I hate the idea of a standings system that players don't make themselves (a.k.a Intel and Communication Units).

***Just roleplay it***

It's an RPG first before it's a FPS or 4x Grand Strat, and emergent gameplay before that - NQ isn't meant to be doing your work for you.

Amen.

By the way. Someone drew on your avatar :lol:

I think the standings issue also brings up the issue of being in multiple organizations. How do people know which organization people are in? In most games (EVE included) there is a sort of ticker name that is displayed along with the character's name, but that can't work if people are in many different organizations. Say someone is a member of a neutral trade group and also of a more combat oriented group, and that someone else (who is an enemy of the combat group but an ally of the trade group) runs into this person. How do they know which group this person is acting as? Are they the neutral trader, or the hostile combatant? And will that be the same the next time the person is encountered? 

I suppose this might encourage a policy involving "follow the worst standings" but surely that would cause problems of its own (such as limiting the ability of neutral groups to function, or disincentivising membership in multiple groups ).

About the only thing we can do is create transponders so we can recognize our own organization's ships.  I think IFF (Identify Friend or Foe) may be one of the most important things on the interstellar agenda to keep trigger happy Imperials from vaporizing incoming unarmed traders.  And of course, stolen or hacked transponders would be used by smugglers, spies, possibly even entire fleets flying a false flag.  Like they could be in real life. So yeah, we're going to want to have in-game databases with registered ships, verified transponder codes for those ships that may be changed periodically (if a ship gets stolen and you change codes weekly and the pirates don't know it, they'll have the old code) personnel and passenger manifests... there'll be people who's job is security making sure you are who you say you are.  And if you can fool them, you get to make the Kessel Run in three parsecs in order to get the spice smuggled past the Navigators Guild blockade or whatever.