Skill Training

Danger

=snip=

Well, I agree with all of that, that's the general sentiment from anyone who played EVE and understands the merit of said system. Albeit, let the resets be once a year and if possible, they could make the attributes in a radial style, so people know what kind of skills are affected by what  attiributes more, that overlap with the skilll web (as it's not tree the way they depicted it so far) so people know that "oh, if I put 10 points to Strength I will start with X skills given my starting "race" (lore part, may not apply in-game on launch) ".

I mean, we don't have to go EVE Online and have an unintuitive mess of a skill training and attributes system.

I'd go as far to say that attributes provide bonuses, ala Fallout series. Strength provides more stability when firing heavy guns and perceptionp roviding accuracy with weapons, like adding range on a weapon's optimal range. And hey, if and when the melee system comes, the same attributes can be adjusted for different melee weapons, but that's a stretch of the imagination, not something that can be on launch as far as the devs have commented on it. But that's just me, I'd like my attributes to be worth something more than just being "oh, I trained into guns a year after you cause I had different attributes but we got the same advantages and optimal ranges". Having attributes affecting skilsl and weapon / equipment handling, would make a certain gameplay worth it.

I'd like to see two sets of attributes:

- Primary: those define your progression in skilltraining and affect time. I like the idea of fixed attributes here, to diversify the characters. But we have to consider one thing: players change and maybe the military appealed to you at first but after one year you are all into trading and building. So I think one or two changes should be possible.

- secondary: those will give you a bonus to whatever you do. Dexterity to move faster or aim better, intelligence to shoot farther or anything like that - you get the idea.

That way you would diversify every character further and it would add a whole lot more to immersion

I'd go as far to say that attributes provide bonuses, ala Fallout series. Strength provides more stability when firing heavy guns and perceptionp roviding accuracy with weapons, like adding range on a weapon's optimal range. And hey, if and when the melee system comes, the same attributes can be adjusted for different melee weapons, but that's a stretch of the imagination, not something that can be on launch as far as the devs have commented on it.

I like the Fallout idea about bonuses provided dependant on the attribute level.  The bonuses I could see being reset due to something new introduced into the game, such as melee, but not the attribute level themselves.  (Ex: you put 3 points into strength, 1st pt - your carrying capacity increase, 2nd pt. - you do more dmg, 3rd pt - your health increases.  Now melee is introduce and the bonuses may chance like: 1st point - you can use bigger weapons, 2nd pt - health and fatigue levels go up, 3rd pt - whatever.)  However, you still keep the 3 points in strength and it should not change.

I like the Fallout idea about bonuses provided dependant on the attribute level.  The bonuses I could see being reset due to something new introduced into the game, such as melee, but not the attribute level themselves.  (Ex: you put 3 points into strength, 1st pt - your carrying capacity increase, 2nd pt. - you do more dmg, 3rd pt - your health increases.  Now melee is introduce and the bonuses may chance like: 1st point - you can use bigger weapons, 2nd pt - health and fatigue levels go up, 3rd pt - whatever.)  However, you still keep the 3 points in strength and it should not change.

No, that is exactly why i exluded such things as prerequisites for gear. The idea is everyone can train into anything, only difference, is that you can only train as fast as your attribute - skill corretation allows. Also, carrying capacity is limited by volume, since there's the whole "we shrink down items and they have no weight" tech in the lore of the game, which is both a nice way of allowing people to carry a ton of mats on them but limited to the container's capacity.

So, I guess attributes can simply provide a bonus to things, revolving around the skils they dictate.

Intelligence reducing the cycles when using control units, like turret consoles and all that, that includes factory terminals or any control unit in general.

Willpower reduces the cycles on refining or mining or harvesting in general.

Strength provides bonuses to aiming and a flat speed bonus when wearing medium and above armors depending on how many poitns are in it (- and if and when melee, it can be used as a flat percentage bonus to an attack.

Agility provides athletic features, like stamina regen and sprint duration.

Endurace provides a bonus to flat HP aka, the thing that remains after armor and shield tanks are broken. It also increases stamina / energy regen on a person, as well as reducing the cycle or cooldown of attacks - if the melee system is indeed a cycle based system ala EVE Online, the only other game operating on a single-shard.

Perception increases "tracking speed" of a person, provides bonuses to weapon stats and can help with possible hacking minigames - at least, the crackign part when under duress.

Memory could simply dictate how many skills you can train at a time, as well as possibly how many "macros" a person can store on their memory, an essential skill for Commanders in general, or even more simply, a reduction across the board on skill training times.

Charisma can be simply how many contracts a person can get or how much they can mitigate the taxation set by a player's , a form of "wallter armor" if the metaphor can be applied.

So, let's say I wanted to be a cowboy, roaming the land, gettign in fights and doing the run n' gun. I would go for Endurance, Agility, Perception. I don't plan on using ship equipment a lot, nor I plan on using the kind of fella to go harvest - unless the Devs add "trophies", in which case sign me up for a cloaking module and a combi stick.

While an industry oriented fella, would want as much intelligence as possible, to operate the actories better, while a gunner would want to spint perception and intelligence down the middle, as thier job is to be "space knights" who fire guns from ships, they are not marines, they don't need to run in combat. 

But all of them, can easily train into skills early on, so the industrtialist can train into guns or even one day, sniper rifles, but not at the same time as a combat oriented person would. Having any restriction on training or armor access, would make the game a "you need to have seven accounts to learn all skills you want", which is EVE Online's cancer. Yes, you can catch up to aynone in training one day, but you can't catch up to people who have the money to train 9 toons to close to perfect skilsl, just by the power of wallet.

That's what I'm saying. Attributes need to make an impact to make you feel different, but not so much that you feel useless in combat, which is the prime reason reallocation is also needed, otherwise the game will have 500000 registered accounts, but only 35000 people oline tops - which is the bummer with EVE (and why if one Goon leaves GSF they lose 1.562% of their entire fleet in pilots lol).

My guess would be to have attribute resets be limited, and given out every expansion - or six months, since that's the mark where the subscription is worth 1 Triple-A game title of 60 to 90 USD. 

But that's just my view of things. 

I would probably say that if you want to respec your attributes, it will give you a skill training cooldown so you cant train skills for a while. How long this is is a matter of balance. Maybe allow the ability to change the end result whilst the cooldown is in effect just in case you misclick (in addition to being able to cancel the respec). Note that the changed attributes would only take place after the cooldown.