Skill Training

Danger

"Back in my day tv was called books, and this is a special book."

So instead of books or NPCs, what if there are specific data modules or terminals that have to be built to advance forward?  As in, the Arkship will only get everyone so far because the arkship doesn't use a jump drive or a jump gate so how would we know of that technology?

Mind you this would be some late-game tech...

Mate, your cerebral implant downloads from the Arkship's database all the skills you learn. Deal with it :V

While I agree that a grind is no fun, there is something to be said for practical exercises and OJT.  Perhaps you should have the timed skill training as the baseline, but using the skill you are training speeds up training time, to a limit, maybe if you use the skill for 10 minutes you train double speed for the next 12 hours.  Or if you use the skill for 10 minutes in range of someone who has the skill to a higher level than you, and they are actively focusing on you with a training or teaching skill for that time, you train at triple speed for the next 12 hours.  And there should be a cool down period after learning a skill where you have to use it for 10 minutes a day for a certain number of days before you unlock the next level.  And if you don't use your skills, after a while they may start to atrophy and you need to train them back up.

Knowing how to fire a rifle and being good at firing a rifle are two very different things.  That's why good shots go to the range every week.

So say there are 5 skill levels on any skill:

Level 1: Novice - 1 hour training

Level 2: Basic - 12 hours training

Level 3: Capable - 2 days training

Level 4: Expert - 2 weeks training

Level 5: Master - 2 months training

You can only learn one skill at a time.  Only in-game time counts for training (yes that 2 months looks a lot longer now)

Using your skill for 10 minutes straight allows you to train at double speed for the next 12 hours.  If you're level 1 going to level 2 and use the skill, you get done in 6 hours.

Being trained by someone who has the skill being taught and the "training" skill at higher level than you allows you to train 3 times faster.  You have to use the skill for 10 minutes while they stand next to you and focus the training skill on you for the entire 10 minutes.  If they have the skill to be trained and the training skill 2 levels higher, it's 4 times faster, 3 levels higher it's 5 times faster and 4 levels higher 6 times faster, meaning that a level 5 trainer with level 5 gunnery can train a novice gunner to level 1 in 10 minutes.

A training skill would create a school system and increase player interaction.  

If you don't use a skill for at least 10 minutes over the course of 4 x skill level in-game days, you suffer a 10% reduced bonus until you take a refresher course; it takes 25% as long as it took to learn the skill in the first place.  This doesn't apply to level 1 skills.  So if you don't use a level 4 skill in 16 game days, you have to retrain it.

There are skills that don't exist in the arkship database.  we know the devs have hinted at alien artifacts.  This could include skills needed to use alien technologies like stargates.

Jack-of-all-trades is a special level 4 skill.  You have to have a level 4 skill of some type to unlock JOT.  You train JOT like any other skill but you can't gain any usage or training bonus.  You gain no benefit from it until you get to level 4.  When you have JOT level 4, you immediately gain all skills in the arkship library to level 1.  Some folks think that's not a big deal because it's easy to get level 1 skills, but there could be hundreds of them and you can only learn them one skill at a time.  JOT doesn't degrade nor can it be trained to level 5.

So you enforce bots/scripts which will get people that double speed bonus, you favor jobless 24/7 gamers without a family and you definitely piss off people on longer vacation or with no time to play the game every day? 'Good' work

While I agree that a grind is no fun, there is something to be said for practical exercises and OJT.  Perhaps you should have the timed skill training as the baseline, but using the skill you are training speeds up training time, to a limit, maybe if you use the skill for 10 minutes you train double speed for the next 12 hours.  Or if you use the skill for 10 minutes in range of someone who has the skill to a higher level than you, and they are actively focusing on you with a training or teaching skill for that time, you train at triple speed for the next 12 hours.  And there should be a cool down period after learning a skill where you have to use it for 10 minutes a day for a certain number of days before you unlock the next level.  And if you don't use your skills, after a while they may start to atrophy and you need to train them back up.

Knowing how to fire a rifle and being good at firing a rifle are two very different things.  That's why good shots go to the range every week.

So say there are 5 skill levels on any skill:

Level 1: Novice - 1 hour training

Level 2: Basic - 12 hours training

Level 3: Capable - 2 days training

Level 4: Expert - 2 weeks training

Level 5: Master - 2 months training

You can only learn one skill at a time.  Only in-game time counts for training (yes that 2 months looks a lot longer now)

Using your skill for 10 minutes straight allows you to train at double speed for the next 12 hours.  If you're level 1 going to level 2 and use the skill, you get done in 6 hours.

Being trained by someone who has the skill being taught and the "training" skill at higher level than you allows you to train 3 times faster.  You have to use the skill for 10 minutes while they stand next to you and focus the training skill on you for the entire 10 minutes.  If they have the skill to be trained and the training skill 2 levels higher, it's 4 times faster, 3 levels higher it's 5 times faster and 4 levels higher 6 times faster, meaning that a level 5 trainer with level 5 gunnery can train a novice gunner to level 1 in 10 minutes.

A training skill would create a school system and increase player interaction.  

If you don't use a skill for at least 10 minutes over the course of 4 x skill level in-game days, you suffer a 10% reduced bonus until you take a refresher course; it takes 25% as long as it took to learn the skill in the first place.  This doesn't apply to level 1 skills.  So if you don't use a level 4 skill in 16 game days, you have to retrain it.

There are skills that don't exist in the arkship database.  we know the devs have hinted at alien artifacts.  This could include skills needed to use alien technologies like stargates.

Jack-of-all-trades is a special level 4 skill.  You have to have a level 4 skill of some type to unlock JOT.  You train JOT like any other skill but you can't gain any usage or training bonus.  You gain no benefit from it until you get to level 4.  When you have JOT level 4, you immediately gain all skills in the arkship library to level 1.  Some folks think that's not a big deal because it's easy to get level 1 skills, but there could be hundreds of them and you can only learn them one skill at a time.  JOT doesn't degrade nor can it be trained to level 5.

Are you brain dead? The skill training is real time. You trian skills when offline. Also, in EVE (the game this system is inspired from) uses an attributes system that enchances the rate at which you upgrade skills.

Charisma can amplify the rate at which you learn Trading skills for example by up to 300% rate.

And those "2 months to Master", is not precise, since the more difficult the skill the higher the multiplier on training in that skill is, for less bonuses on that training. You don't have to train to Master level on a skill, that's minutiae in the long run.

The Arkship's database is the one teaching you anything in the game. This is not medieval fantasy to be apprenticed by the wizard in the tower. We got lasers and spaceships son :P

As long as the increase is natural and ungrindy. "You have chopped 10 000 trees. Trees to chop until level 2 lumberjack: 300 000".

Edit: i hope there are no 'Leadership' skills.

" You can't run this organization! You don't have 'People Skills' or 'Diplomacy' at level 10, you big jerk!"

Are you brain dead? The skill training is real time. You trian skills when offline. Also, in EVE (the game this system is inspired from) uses an attributes system that enchances the rate at which you upgrade skills.

Charisma can amplify the rate at which you learn Trading skills for example by up to 300% rate.

And those "2 months to Master", is not precise, since the more difficult the skill the higher the multiplier on training in that skill is, for less bonuses on that training. You don't have to train to Master level on a skill, that's minutiae in the long run.

The Arkship's database is the one teaching you anything in the game. This is not medieval fantasy to be apprenticed by the wizard in the tower. We got lasers and spaceships son :P

I don't think we're getting off on the right foot here.  I'm twice your age, so please don't call me son.  And asking if someone is braindead for making a suggestion in a thread about making suggestions is kind of rude.  I'm not being a jerk for you.

Perhaps the training system is inspired by EVE, but that could just be the starting point.  The business rules for skills training haven't even been written, so I'm pretty sure the alpha team will be in a position to make suggestions.  I've seen several organizations with mission statements that include education.  Unless that education is entirely devoted to player skills (how to build stuff, for example) then I am fairly certain that people will indeed want to apprentice to the master roboticist so they can learn how to build and repair higher tech mechs faster.  Personal interactions in order to get training create roleplaying opportunities.

I don't like the idea of training that is so passive that you don't even have to be online to train.  Uploading a skill directly to your brain is like reading and watching videos about blacksmithing and then claiming to be a master when you've never lifted a hammer.  You don't know the feel the hammer in your hand, the sound of properly tempered metal, the smell of forge, the heat on your face... there's a lot more to a skill than book knowledge.  But that's just me.  Maybe you want training to be fully automated, just plug your brain in to the ark and magic happens Demolition Man style.  That would certainly be easier to code, but it would shut the door on folks who want there to be a value in experience and effort.

So... when you're training, do you set up a queue for training?  Get all the level 1 and level 2 skills you want queued up, log off for a week and come back and you're as skilled as people who played 80 hours.  I just don't care for that.

I think a balance is needed between the 2. If you are actively mining and training the mining skill at the same time. Time should tick down at accelerated rate, rewarding active play. If that skill is not being trained at that time then actively doing something would have no effect on the time.

Devs mentioned early skills will take minutes to train while late skills could take a month or more.

It has it's drawbacks as well as someone training a weapons skill would go round holding down mb1 with their Gatling laser just to get that accelerated rate.

To resolve this make it an accelerated rate for 10 minutes so then they only go around killing people once every 10 minutes and make the percentage like 10-20% faster so in level 4 and 5 skills it really wont make too much of a dent. And the low percentage would mean they are unlikely going to be able to afford to commit to it on a long term basis.

Discuss?

I don't think we're getting off on the right foot here.  I'm twice your age, so please don't call me son.  And asking if someone is braindead for making a suggestion in a thread about making suggestions is kind of rude.  I'm not being a jerk for you.

Perhaps the training system is inspired by EVE, but that could just be the starting point.  The business rules for skills training haven't even been written, so I'm pretty sure the alpha team will be in a position to make suggestions.  I've seen several organizations with mission statements that include education.  Unless that education is entirely devoted to player skills (how to build stuff, for example) then I am fairly certain that people will indeed want to apprentice to the master roboticist so they can learn how to build and repair higher tech mechs faster.  Personal interactions in order to get training create roleplaying opportunities.

I don't like the idea of training that is so passive that you don't even have to be online to train.  Uploading a skill directly to your brain is like reading and watching videos about blacksmithing and then claiming to be a master when you've never lifted a hammer.  You don't know the feel the hammer in your hand, the sound of properly tempered metal, the smell of forge, the heat on your face... there's a lot more to a skill than book knowledge.  But that's just me.  Maybe you want training to be fully automated, just plug your brain in to the ark and magic happens Demolition Man style.  That would certainly be easier to code, but it would shut the door on folks who want there to be a value in experience and effort.

So... when you're training, do you set up a queue for training?  Get all the level 1 and level 2 skills you want queued up, log off for a week and come back and you're as skilled as people who played 80 hours.  I just don't care for that.

First, your "video training" and the game's "cerebral data transfer" are not the same, for the same reason that if I was to send you a virus in .txt format, you wouldn't be exposed to it , the .txt in our case, is the video training on youtube, the cerebral data transfer is the implant and download from the Arkship in the game's lore. So yeah, it is possible to copy data from one computer to another and yes, the brain is a computer, it has all the same components. And on top of that, the implant in the players' brains opens the possibility of hacker warlocks in the game, guys who can stun you by infecting your implant with a virus.

Second, you didn't even bother to check how deep the EVE system of skill training is.  It's a boost to your effectiveness on something, along as giving you more things to do on a certain field, with Attributes playing a big role in how fast you train a skill and how effective you can be with a skill. It's a game mechanism that is doing away with grinding for skills. It's not medieval fantasy to have to strike with your sword a bajillion times to get good with it, it's sci-fi and futurespace on top of that, therefore, Cerebral Implants, that download skilsl into your brain with the speed bonus dictated by your character's attributes (perception, memory, intelligence, etcetera).

Third, age is a counter-arguemen people use when they want to belittle someone, or to ridicule someone. You are acting like Leafy on youtube. "hey, look at that guy, he's 34 and does youtube videos", only you say "watch your mouth, I'm twice your age". Sorry, I am smart (as people tell me), I ain't frigging clairvoyant, but regardless, your age has nothing to do with the fact you didn't took time to see if that skill system is wrong. I guess I - who did take some time to actually look that up and seen its merit - am wiser to do so (or, not lazy!? ). I judge by your arguements, you should judge me by mine. And your arguements are not researched at all.

Fourth, you get skillpoints to invest when you are online. If you were to log-off for a week, you would have less SPs to invest in the next range of skills. You got a limited amount of skills you can train at one time. The higher the grade, the more time it takes, again, depending on attributes, you may not even be allowed into training for a certain skill and you may even need implants to further increase your skills. Implants cost, a lot.

Fifth, skills give you access on deploying better grades of the basic elements (machinery of various sorts) and / or be better at the minerals you produce. Also, the only blacksmiths that take time to smell the molten steel and lick it to see if its on the right color of blue when they forge it, are guys who make medieval weaponry. In the industrial world, people use actual machines to melt the steel on the right quality they want. Welcome to the 21st century, we got machinery to do things for us.

Sixth, you miss the point of this training system, it's "minutes to learn, lifetime to master". Just because your character can shoot better, or mine better, or build in larger volumes, does not mean you, as the guy controlling the character, can or may have the mental faculties to exploit the game's mechanics to their maximum.

I guess you would prefer wasting 700 hours grinding pigs, fairies, trolls and w/e flying unicorn monster some Korean MMO offers you to advance on a level, than actually playing the game by doing your thing and your skill training as you play and when you are offline as well. Good for you, but mining minerals and building stuff, will be already grindy enough, the Devs went the right way with this skill system.

Peace :V

First, your "video training" and the game's "cerebral data transfer" are not the same, for the same reason that if I was to send you a virus in .txt format, you wouldn't be exposed to it , the .txt in our case, is the video training on youtube, the cerebral data transfer is the implant and download from the Arkship in the game's lore. So yeah, it is possible to copy data from one computer to another and yes, the brain is a computer, it has all the same components. And on top of that, the implant in the players' brains opens the possibility of hacker warlocks in the game, guys who can stun you by infecting your implant with a virus.

Second, you didn't even bother to check how deep the EVE system of skill training is.  It's a boost to your effectiveness on something, along as giving you more things to do on a certain field, with Attributes playing a big role in how fast you train a skill and how effective you can be with a skill. It's a game mechanism that is doing away with grinding for skills. It's not medieval fantasy to have to strike with your sword a bajillion times to get good with it, it's sci-fi and futurespace on top of that, therefore, Cerebral Implants, that download skilsl into your brain with the speed bonus dictated by your character's attributes (perception, memory, intelligence, etcetera).

Third, age is a counter-arguemen people use when they want to belittle someone, or to ridicule someone. You are acting like Leafy on youtube. "hey, look at that guy, he's 34 and does youtube videos", only you say "watch your mouth, I'm twice your age". Sorry, I am smart (as people tell me), I ain't frigging clairvoyant, but regardless, your age has nothing to do with the fact you didn't took time to see if that skill system is wrong. I guess I - who did take some time to actually look that up and seen its merit - am wiser to do so (or, not lazy!? ). I judge by your arguements, you should judge me by mine. And your arguements are not researched at all.

Fourth, you get skillpoints to invest when you are online. If you were to log-off for a week, you would have less SPs to invest in the next range of skills. You got a limited amount of skills you can train at one time. The higher the grade, the more time it takes, again, depending on attributes, you may not even be allowed into training for a certain skill and you may even need implants to further increase your skills. Implants cost, a lot.

Fifth, skills give you access on deploying better grades of the basic elements (machinery of various sorts) and / or be better at the minerals you produce. Also, the only blacksmiths that take time to smell the molten steel and lick it to see if its on the right color of blue when they forge it, are guys who make medieval weaponry. In the industrial world, people use actual machines to melt the steel on the right quality they want. Welcome to the 21st century, we got machinery to do things for us.

Sixth, you miss the point of this training system, it's "minutes to learn, lifetime to master". Just because your character can shoot better, or mine better, or build in larger volumes, does not mean you, as the guy controlling the character, can or may have the mental faculties to exploit the game's mechanics to their maximum.

I guess you would prefer wasting 700 hours grinding pigs, fairies, trolls and w/e flying unicorn monster some Korean MMO offers you to advance on a level, than actually playing the game by doing your thing and your skill training as you play and when you are offline as well. Good for you, but mining minerals and building stuff, will be already grindy enough, the Devs went the right way with this skill system.

How do you think I know your age?  I'm not clairvoyant either.  I checked your profile.  I object to being disrespected and you turn that into me trying to belittle you by referring to your age?  That is just so internet.

DU is a game where content will be player-driven, EVE is not, and the alpha team is going to have a fair amount to say in the business rule development as DU progresses.  We're 2 years out of general release at this point.  Nothing is set in stone except for voxel technology and the backstory.  There are actually some benighted people who don't like the EVE skill system.  If we get to create our own equipment don't we have to be able to create the skills to use that equipment?  If people want to have in-game education, to be able to build schools, to have a training skill, that does not make them wrong.  Or braindead.

So you think that the transfer of the experiences directly to the brain is the same as actually doing something?  Fine.  I don't like that, but you're not wrong to like that.  I'm not suggesting grinding unicorns, I'm suggesting spending 10 minutes a day using a skill in order to increase your learning rate. 

How does one automatically learn when offline?  Are you teleported back to the arkship so you can plug in?  What if you're on some far off planet?  How do you access the arkship library?  I can see how you might learn a skill that's been downloaded to your brain and needs to be processed, but how do you access other skills that you want to learn?  Are skills just being broadcasted through the universe?

If you have to buy expensive implants, that's fine, but does that have to be the only way to learn a skill?  Can't you also learn by doing?  Or by being taught?

This is a roleplaying game.  If you want to minimax every game mechanic, you are free to do so, but the point of any game is to have fun.  If you think that achieving maximum exploitation of a game is the way you express your intellect, go for it.  If that's how you have fun, good for you.  I think that having good relationships with other players, creating a beautiful environment and writing cool code to make SLI products the best on the market is where I'm going to find my fun.  So good luck, we'll see how the rules actually get written over the next two years and hopefully be part of the greatest game in history.  

How do you think I know your age? I'm not clairvoyant either. I checked your profile. I object to being disrespected and you turn that into me trying to belittle you by referring to your age? That is just so internet.

DU is a game where content will be player-driven, EVE is not, and the alpha team is going to have a fair amount to say in the business rule development as DU progresses. We're 2 years out of general release at this point. Nothing is set in stone except for voxel technology and the backstory. There are actually some benighted people who don't like the EVE skill system. If we get to create our own equipment don't we have to be able to create the skills to use that equipment? If people want to have in-game education, to be able to build schools, to have a training skill, that does not make them wrong. Or braindead.

So you think that the transfer of the experiences directly to the brain is the same as actually doing something? Fine. I don't like that, but you're not wrong to like that. I'm not suggesting grinding unicorns, I'm suggesting spending 10 minutes a day using a skill in order to increase your learning rate.

How does one automatically learn when offline? Are you teleported back to the arkship so you can plug in? What if you're on some far off planet? How do you access the arkship library? I can see how you might learn a skill that's been downloaded to your brain and needs to be processed, but how do you access other skills that you want to learn? Are skills just being broadcasted through the universe?

If you have to buy expensive implants, that's fine, but does that have to be the only way to learn a skill? Can't you also learn by doing? Or by being taught?

This is a roleplaying game. If you want to minimax every game mechanic, you are free to do so, but the point of any game is to have fun. If you think that achieving maximum exploitation of a game is the way you express your intellect, go for it. If that's how you have fun, good for you. I think that having good relationships with other players, creating a beautiful environment and writing cool code to make SLI products the best on the market is where I'm going to find my fun. So good luck, we'll see how the rules actually get written over the next two years and hopefully be part of the greatest game in history.

Ye, you're braindead. EVE's lore is driven by players. Players build moon bases, factories and control the market. Deal with it, the Devs are veteran EVE players, they know the system rocks. And they will implement it :) Deal with it. And FYI, I don't scout the age of everyone who disagrees with me, I don't base my arguements in arbitrary factors. But hey, keep stalking profiles, lol.

Also, I plan on scamming a lot of people in-game. And the devs won't ban me :). Because they want that part of EVE. :)

Yes, I am a capitalist whose motto is ''greed is good''. What nobody ever said tho is ''man I wish I could RP as my CSD major's years at the uni''. EVE has this system of skill training and it got an in-game org, EVE University, that teaches new players the ropes. Research it, or deliberately elect to be ignorant.

Bu-byeeeee!

Mate, your cerebral implant downloads from the Arkship's database all the skills you learn. Deal with it :V

Let's find a way to hack into the Arkship and bypass all that time it would take to learn stuff.  I'm sure that would be a thing, riiiiiiiiight?

Let's find a way to hack into the Arkship and bypass all that time it would take to learn stuff.  I'm sure that would be a thing, riiiiiiiiight?

Nope, Arkship is no PvP zone. Them bureaucrats got us there.

As said before:

It wouldn't be wise to allow grinding as a training factor for skills. Why would you want to piss off players with little time to play the game, while a powergamer can train 20/7 - THAT would suck.

Carefully balanced skills which are trained offline have one major advantage: the introduce time. The devs can then roughly estimate when certain skills will be available to certain players. That ensures that big, badass ships/weapons, technologies won't be available from beginning, but with a delay.

I like this system

You have skills with points you allocate in and skills with no points. The skills with points in are what you are good at to begin with (the 'what role i think i want skills in').

The 0 skills can still be learnt, but the practice time between 0 and 1 is a long one, just like in real life, but then it gets easier until later knowledge.

It would be good, also, if skills could be linked to the scripts for the ai so that it doesnt become a two speed game (like space engineers) for coders and technoanderthals.

Ye, you're braindead. EVE's lore is driven by players. Players build moon bases, factories and control the market. Deal with it, the Devs are veteran EVE players, they know the system rocks. And they will implement it :) Deal with it. And FYI, I don't scout the age of everyone who disagrees with me, I don't base my arguements in arbitrary factors. But hey, keep stalking profiles, lol.

Also, I plan on scamming a lot of people in-game. And the devs won't ban me :). Because they want that part of EVE. :)

Yes, I am a capitalist whose motto is ''greed is good''. What nobody ever said tho is ''man I wish I could RP as my CSD major's years at the uni''. EVE has this system of skill training and it got an in-game org, EVE University, that teaches new players the ropes. Research it, or deliberately elect to be ignorant.

Bu-byeeeee!

I only did that because you called me son while acting like a brat.

As said before:

It wouldn't be wise to allow grinding as a training factor for skills. Why would you want to piss off players with little time to play the game, while a powergamer can train 20/7 - THAT would suck.

Carefully balanced skills which are trained offline have one major advantage: the introduce time. The devs can then roughly estimate when certain skills will be available to certain players. That ensures that big, badass ships/weapons, technologies won't be available from beginning, but with a delay.

Skills aren't the only thing needed to produce those big badass ships; we'll need tech development and rare resources.  And why do people seem to think that spending 10 minutes a day using a skill to get a training bonus is grinding?  It would not be required and it just speeds up a process that is happening anyway.  

Sure, the devs are veteran EVE players.  They're going to want to make their game different from EVE, fix the things they didn't like about EVE.

I like this system

You have skills with points you allocate in and skills with no points. The skills with points in are what you are good at to begin with (the 'what role i think i want skills in').

The 0 skills can still be learnt, but the practice time between 0 and 1 is a long one, just like in real life, but then it gets easier until later knowledge.

It would be good, also, if skills could be linked to the scripts for the ai so that it doesnt become a two speed game (like space engineers) for coders and technoanderthals.

You want a scripting skill?  You want the arkship to give you better default scripts for your gear when you use that skill?  Don't forget that the coders are going to be spending time that they could be spending prospecting, mining, raiding etc writing code.

Skills aren't the only thing needed to produce those big badass ships; we'll need tech development and rare resources.  And why do people seem to think that spending 10 minutes a day using a skill to get a training bonus is grinding?  It would not be required and it just speeds up a process that is happening anyway.  

Sure, the devs are veteran EVE players.  They're going to want to make their game different from EVE, fix the things they didn't like about EVE.

tech development = skills

rare resources: big orgs have plenty of those, they will hoard.

So those arguments are not valid

If the bonus while using this skill is too high -> people will abuse that and players with little time deem it unfair. So you have to make it small. Like lvl 1: mine 100 deposits. Lvl 2: mine 5000 deposits, Lvl 3: mine 100000 deposits. Or something like that. To prevent abuse and to prevent grinding for that.

Your idea with that accelerated training is just bad, because there is a significant disadvantage for players who have a family, job and little free time to play this game.

I only did that because you called me son while acting like a brat.

See? Now we are being honest! You are patronising, and I am a brat! That's how heated exchanges should go, not throwing age, gender or credit balance as factors in the discussion!

Still, the skill system ffrom EVE is tried and tested. It leaves you with the opportunity of playing the game and your skills upgradng regardless., of course, the skill system is so interwoven, that it take careful studying and some math to figure out the best build that suits one's playstyle. It's not a skill "tree", but more like a skill web.

I really don't understand why every character must be equal to eachother. 

If you don't have the time to play that much (I'll probably be one of those), then sure, your character won't have all the skills on as high a lvl as those who play 24/7.

But having a passive skill lvling system where everyone will end up being max lvld at the same time just ruins the incentive to actually spend that extra hour mining just because you want to be a bit beter then the rest.

As I've understood it, not having the skills at lvl 1 doesn't automaticly translate to you not knowing how to do it, (for example mining), but rather that you won't be as good as those who have a higher lvl of it. 

If you want to have all characters on equal footing, go play CS:go, Starcraft or something like that.

Raising a character from a newb to an expert is half the fun, even if I won't mine as quickly as the rest. That just makes it more a of a challenge and results in that I have to focus more on my personal skills rather then the ingame ones (even if they are connected). 

See? Now we are being honest! You are patronising, and I am a brat! That's how heated exchanges should go, not throwing age, gender or credit balance as factors in the discussion!

Still, the skill system ffrom EVE is tried and tested. It leaves you with the opportunity of playing the game and your skills upgradng regardless., of course, the skill system is so interwoven, that it take careful studying and some math to figure out the best build that suits one's playstyle. It's not a skill "tree", but more like a skill web.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a skill web.  I like the idea of a classless character system.  I also don't want the skill development to be grinding, though if you shoot down a battleship with your frigate, maybe your character deserves something for that feat, I dunno.  I know you shouldn't be able to kill people for XP like in a single player or instanced RPG.  Though I think there should be drops and salvage and such.

Hmm... nothing to do with skills, but imagine if 4 years into this when there are wars raging all around, a berserker robot fleet shows up at our doorstep and we have to cooperate or face extinction.  Someone discovers an artifact and it's actually a signal beacon that wakes up the berserkers... I don't know why that thought occurred to me.