The Most Valuable Property in the Galaxy: Safe Zones

It's been confirmed in the kickstarter AMA part 2 that safe zone territory will be claimable:

We plan to make the territory tiles inside the Safe Zone claimable...

What are the gameplay implications? Obviously the safe zones will be super valuable, but they won't be able to be fought over; only sold, right? Which means that the prime objective of all the starting players (with half a brain or more) will be to claim territory within the starting zone to either use strategically or sell to the highest bidder down the road.

If the seat of a certain government is within a safe zone, can it ever be overthrown? If two orgs are at war and both are located within safe zones (possibly even the same safe zone), I suppose it could only become a war of attrition where they try to choke out each other's exterior supply lines?

I'm just trying to fathom how this mechanic will affect societal development and organizational competition...

Safezones is a relative term. They said that any safezone away from the Arkship are essentially force fields and pacification fields. They canbe taken down. They are in essence SAFER-zones, but not totally safe :P

Also, real estate is the actual wealth in the game for explorers. Not just safe-zones.

They won't be valuable .... no need to work towards grabbing these you guys .... these aren't the droids you are looking for .... you can just go about your business ... move along

:D

I beg to differ organizations wishing to build a artistically coherent area around their headquarter (like mine) and not having grievers put a giant penis near your beautiful building will fight for that territory.

And in the future, the bigger the territories you have in the safezone might reflect the power you have in the system. At least in a newcomer's eye.

I beg to differ organizations wishing to build a artistically coherent area around their headquarter (like mine) and not having grievers put a giant penis near your beautiful building will fight for that territory.

And in the future, the bigger the territories you have in the safezone might reflect the power you have in the system. At least in a newcomer's eye.

I guess you didn't get the jedi mind trick reference at the end of my post.  ;)

Also the arcship safe-zone will not have resources under it... at least not the good stuff.  So someone still has to go out there and mine. And someone has to protect them.

Build protected mud-huts for the win!

(yes I'm aware that the resources needed for a TU in the first place will not be located in the safe zone, and will be hard to build)

Build protected mud-huts for the win!

(yes I'm aware that the resources needed for a TU in the first place will not be located in the safe zone, and will be hard to build)

Yes I honestly dont think TU's will be something that everybody will be able to build. Its going to take time, a lot of time to get 1 up and running. God knows what it will require to keep it up. Even if you can build it you'll need serious infrastructure to support it. Thats my educated guess.

JC calls a TU military grade equipment.

Not something that will be easy to aquire.

or the race to get away from the Arkship and safezone asap, then start to build stuff.

Yea its going to be a lot of fun.

Personally I am thinking to find a mountain and make me a cave. Perhaps buy a plot in Emberstone when it is being build.

But people will want a TU in the safezone to recruit new players. It will be valuable I think.

Oh, I thought everyone started out with a TU or something; I must have heard wrong.

Everyone starts with a resurrection node, but not a TU. The devs mentioned that a TU will be a hard item to build that will require a lot of resources, to keep land hard to claim.

The territorys in the safe zone will become more valuable as the game progresses I think.  I'm not sure how player markets will be accessed but if you have to visit a territory for a specific players market then the safe zones will probably end up as the centralised market places...which isn't a bad thing.

I think nova-quark should think about pre-claiming the first 2-3 rings of tiles around the Ark and putting them into the care of a organisation that is there to serve the whole player base and be a neutral party. This is going to be the first thing people see when entering the game so its kind of important that its welcoming with facilities for people to get started in the game.

I think nova-quark should think about pre-claiming the first 2-3 rings of tiles around the Ark and putting them into the care of a organisation that is there to serve the whole player base and be a neutral party. This is going to be the first thing people see when entering the game so its kind of important that its welcoming with facilities for people to get started in the game.

Um... no. They definitely should not be that involved in deciding who gets land and who doesn't. If they go that route, I would pretty much quit immediately, as that defeats most of what they stated this game is about - player-driven content.