Here's an idea - Google Translate Element

Ripper

With everyone playing a single shard universe, there's going to be instances where there's a language barrier.

Piggybacking off of the earlier ideas of allowing external content to be displayed on a screen, I thought "why not allow Google Translate"?

It's not perfect, but it would allow everyone to get a basic understanding from a conversation.

Or possibly incorporate it into your standard Comm interface.

Sure, I can't see ANY problems arising from that. It's not like half of the people in here that are native english speakers are hard to read through, let's give google translate to other languages with even MORE weird spelling and untranslatable words in english from other languages, not to include anecdotes, metaphors etcetera.

At this point, that Element, should be called UMD : Universal Misunderstanding Device.

Let's keep the rules simple due to that, use english to communicate with other people and have at least a person who can coomunicate in english very well on board your ship as a comms officer, if you so want to run with people of the same language as yours on a ship, if ship-to-ship communications are handled via an Element indeed.

I like the way FFXI and FFXIV have their translation system set up.  I just wish it had more words and phrases in it.

Basically they have a dictionary... a very limited dictionary of game terms and useful phrases that they've translated into all the localization languages they support. 

To use the system you just start typing a word in chat and hit tab... a list of potential translated options appears based on what you've typed so far.  So you can select from the list and string translated words and phrases together.  The words will appear in chat as what ever language you have your client set to.

For example

I type:

Ple

And hit tab... a list shows up:

Please Help!

Please leave.

so on and so forth. 

They could ask us to submit words and phrases we think would be most helpful to have and build a nice list of things for their localization people to work on.  Doesn't have to be a release feature... could be a spare time project.  and the submission process could continue after the game is out to... as new social interactions and game systems are added new phrases would be needed.