Tech tree

Heliomance

Do we have any idea how the tech tree, research and development is going to work? For ages, I've wanted a game with a hidden tech tree, paralleling real life, where you don't know if something's possible until you make it work, and DU could be the game that actually implements it. Obviously the mystery wouldn't last long, because the possible research would rapidly get documented by the player base, but that initial exploration of what's possible and what's a dead end could be fascinating to be part of.

The tech tree will definitely be hidden, if it exists at all. The research is intended to be infinite with expansions adding a lot of hidden content. But technology research will have no defined path, it would be more like how technology works in Stellaris; however, more obscure and difficult to track.

For instance, when they add warpgates to the game, no one will know how to build them until the research system actually finds out how. Then the massive amount of reasources will have to be gathered, and finally the warpgate drone will take weeks to get to the next star system.

The tech tree will definitely be hidden, if it exists at all. The research is intended to be infinite with expansions adding a lot of hidden content. But technology research will have no defined path, it would be more like how technology works in Stellaris; however, more obscure and difficult to track.

For instance, when they add warpgates to the game, no one will know how to build them until the research system actually finds out how. Then the massive amount of reasources will have to be gathered, and finally the warpgate drone will take weeks to get to the next star system.

Fantastic! This is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

That said, not sure how they're going to stop the alpha/beta testers learning the tech tree and just rushing it at go-live.

Fantastic! This is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

That said, not sure how they're going to stop the alpha/beta testers learning the tech tree and just rushing it at go-live.

Even if someone knows exactly what they intend to research it will take time to actually research it, and you can probably bet that the tech tree that has been discovered will be posted online during the alpha/beta

My understanding is there isn't a separate tech tree from the skill tree.  You will need to learn the right skills to be able to use the materials required to make and the skills will open up new schematics. 

My understanding is there isn't a separate tech tree from the skill tree.  You will need to learn the right skills to be able to use the materials required to make and the skills will open up new schematics. 

Plus for all we know, there could very well be a hidden element tied to skills. Different skill levels may have perks associated with them that either aren't clearly visible once you reach that level, or that don't manifest until several skills reach key levels. This could be especially true of expansion material.