Jump to content
Anonymous

Do you play EVE Online?

Do you play EVE Online  

192 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you play EVE Online?



Recommended Posts

On 10/30/2018 at 5:54 PM, blazemonger said:

But DU is nothing like EVE except for being a single persistent universe with a sci-fi setting and I believe those expecting the same type of gameplay and engagements will find they end up disappointed. DU is to EVE what a lemon is to a lime. Both citrus fruit but either very different to the other with equally different application (gameplay).

Comparing lemon to lime, do you accept that meta game may be almost the same? :) 

From what I've read, most differences are only in small-scale level. But globally it's about dominating over some area, politics and leadership, tactical decisions, etc. 

So it depends with level you choose for you play-style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Miamato said:

Comparing lemon to lime, do you accept that meta game may be almost the same? :) 

From what I've read, most differences are only in small-scale level. But globally it's about dominating over some area, politics and leadership, tactical decisions, etc. 

So it depends with level you choose for you play-style. 

We have no idea of what he Meta game for DU will be yet, it will be at least a year until we have somewhat of an idea. If you think you are describing the EVE metagame above you really do not understand EVE. For one economy, community, business and combat will be vastly different. Outside of Lore there is no component of civilian life in EVE nor is there any form of design, implementation of features and industry to speak of. EVE is basically 'Magic The Gathering in Space', your ship is basically your card deck.

 

From the very sparse info we have DU will much more like real life in most aspects and not just about spaceships, how you fit them and fly them. In fact combat and use of vessels will be vastly different, really without any compare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never played Eve Online or space games much for that matter.  Dual Universe is probably the only space game that has gained my interest.

 

Every once in a while I have followed some of the interesting events in Eve Online.  I don't understand why people like compare this game to EVE, it's really boring when I hear that comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, blazemonger said:

If you think you are describing the EVE metagame above you really do not understand EVE.

I'm very sorry that my opinion is different from experts like you :D

11 hours ago, blazemonger said:

For one economy, community, business and combat will be vastly different. 

You just told that noone knows how DU Meta game will look like, so why are you so confident, that on large scale it will be so different? 

11 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Outside of Lore there is no component of civilian life in EVE nor is there any form of design, implementation of features and industry to speak of. EVE is basically 'Magic The Gathering in Space', your ship is basically your card deck.

I agree that there is not much you can design on your own from visual art perspective. But design in general is not limited to it. 

What do you mean by civilian life? No-one builds personal mansions/houses? You didn't see any private 'parties' inside the game? Or didn't get any player made quests? Never heard about races? Many communities create their own stories, follow their own role play rules and add more sense into that card game they are playing with ships. The question is whether you ever tried to find that kind of content in EvE. 

 

49 minutes ago, TheMasterArchitect said:

Every once in a while I have followed some of the interesting events in Eve Online.  I don't understand why people like compare this game to EVE, it's really boring when I hear that comparison.

Probably because DU was initially designed as weird mix of EvE and Minecraft. Currently there are a lot of mechanics announced that are kind of modifications of EvE ones. The other reason is that not many MMO games about spaceships exist in released stage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Miamato said:

-snip-

Please, do not pop people's fantasy bubbles on the forums.

They will be wrong, but in their mind they're always right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Miamato

I get what you are saying and agree to a point. I would not call myself an expert and while my initial response may have been a bit strong I do believe that my idea of EVE is not unfair.

 

EVE has a different economy because it is mainly driven by one thing, ships being blown up. In DU there will be more, much more, factors that wil come into that and drive the market, things like product actually designed by players and unique to their 'business'. Combat will differ because there is no one person sitting in a carrier controlling every aspect of its operation (even when ships in EVE lore carry sometimes thouands of crew). Business will be different because DU will offer the opportunity to become a specialist in components like designing control mechanisms, detection and defense product and so on. Stuff that is always predefined in EVE by CCP. So yes, while we know little of the eventual meta game in DU, from what we know we can say it will be vastly different from EVE.

 

Roleplay and 'out of ship' content is real and exist in EVE sure. It manifests outside of the game though for the most part. My corp follows specific rules and definitions of what we do or do not do which creates a strong counter culture in EVE. That much is true so i guess to a point you are correct. What I do believe though is that in DU much of this will actually take place in game 'for real' and not be a fictional even that is only there on paper or in people roleplay mind.


I think DU actually taking some of this and building it right into the abilities for players to create in game is what sets it apart and makes if so interesting. So yes, I certainly agree DU takes many cues from EVE but not in a literal way. It does so for a number of other concepts which, again, I believe is what will eventually set the game apart as unique and 'special'

For me, Du will never replace EVE, there is too much I enjoy and practice in EVE that will never be possible in DU. But I am certain the opposite will also be the case so for me the two will co-exist quite nicely.. DU will for me pretty much replace games like Space Engineers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One aspect I think will be interesting, and partially similar to Eve, is space combat in groups.

 

As we know everyone in Eve is a ship of some sort, and often they travel in packs to camp gates, kill structures, or brawl it out against other group(s).

 

I think this will morph in DU. A group, instead of being several ships, will be in one. This will change the dynamic. Instead of having a fleet leader you will have the ships captain instructing everyone on board what to do. A fleet could just end up being 10 ships, one actual fleet commander and perhaps a hundred crew in total spread out between the ships.

 

Naturally we could end up with massive space battles, with hundreds of players, but may only involve several tens of actual ships.

 

When a ship blows - oh the carnage! Oh the humanity! Oh the looooot! :D

 

So yea, DU wont be like Eve, but, I think thats possibly going to be a good thing ;)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

One aspect I think will be interesting, and partially similar to Eve, is space combat in groups.

 

As we know everyone in Eve is a ship of some sort, and often they travel in packs to camp gates, kill structures, or brawl it out against other group(s).

 

I think this will morph in DU. A group, instead of being several ships, will be in one. This will change the dynamic. Instead of having a fleet leader you will have the ships captain instructing everyone on board what to do. A fleet could just end up being 10 ships, one actual fleet commander and perhaps a hundred crew in total spread out between the ships.

 

Naturally we could end up with massive space battles, with hundreds of players, but may only involve several tens of actual ships.

 

When a ship blows - oh the carnage! Oh the humanity! Oh the looooot! :D

 

So yea, DU wont be like Eve, but, I think thats possibly going to be a good thing ;)

 

 

 

 

Funny, reading this I just thought of a ground-based counter example, and DayZ could be among them. There the hardcore groups in a particular more story and RP based servers usually roam in backs to overpower others with ease, if need be.

 

Some planets or areas on them could be relatively lawless or always contested, and if combat will be a thing there, also expect to encounter larger groups - just like you might find larger groups in space.

 

Safety in numbers. Anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2018 at 11:53 PM, blazemonger said:

We have no idea of what he Meta game for DU will be yet, it will be at least a year until we have somewhat of an idea. If you think you are describing the EVE metagame above you really do not understand EVE. For one economy, community, business and combat will be vastly different. Outside of Lore there is no component of civilian life in EVE nor is there any form of design, implementation of features and industry to speak of. EVE is basically 'Magic The Gathering in Space', your ship is basically your card deck.

I agree with the most but that last bit with Magic Something, Something card game shows you haven;t really played Eve as much or gotten in--depth. Ships do have certain attributes, qualities and different purpose, but it is all up to the pilot and how he or she flies their ship.


This gives you that (human) element of uncertainty of the outcome of every engagement. Each fight can have some many outcomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Thor Vanguard said:

This gives you that (human) element of uncertainty of the outcome of every engagement. Each fight can have some many outcomes.

Only when flying solo. Then you need to know what you do and how tracking, hitting, dmg and other mechanics work. 

 

If in a big nullsec war/gang:

Do what fc tells you

Orbit fc or whoever

Target ppl targetcaller calls 

Press f1

Repeat 

 

Most ppl don't engage in a fight they don't know the outcome of (they win). If they do, they escalate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Only when flying solo. Then you need to know what you do and how tracking, hitting, dmg and other mechanics work. 

 

If in a big nullsec war/gang:

Do what fc tells you

Orbit fc or whoever

Target ppl targetcaller calls 

Press f1

Repeat 

 

Most ppl don't engage in a fight they don't know the outcome of (they win). If they do, they escalate

To this you add - mind your capacitor levels, spot/scout something worthy of reporting.


With all that I meant, it is not a board game of chances as some (sore) players describe it. And from what I see on the Dual Wiki, the intent to bring immersive PvP is in the plans here too. How? I am looking forward to see...

I hope it is better and even more realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But how are EvE players going to do anything without their precious multiboxing?
Multiboxing that enables the Schadenfreude-based meta they so adore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thor Vanguard said:

mind your capacitor levels

Ctrl+1 for need cap 

 

3 hours ago, Thor Vanguard said:

spot/scout something worthy of reporting

That's what scouts do, not regular grunts 

 

And don't misread me. I loved eve for it's complex mechanics, but i only see those in low/wh space. A regular nullsec grunt nowadays runs plexes all day and ocasionally Xs up for a fleet just to press f1 when told 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lethys said:

Ctrl+1 for need cap 

 

That's what scouts do, not regular grunts 

 

And don't misread me. I loved eve for it's complex mechanics, but i only see those in low/wh space. A regular nullsec grunt nowadays runs plexes all day and ocasionally Xs up for a fleet just to press f1 when told 

Well, I do both on fleets, sometimes even 3 roles, and what you are describing isn't easy at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 1:58 PM, Lethys said:

Only when flying solo. Then you need to know what you do and how tracking, hitting, dmg and other mechanics work. 

 

Most ppl don't engage in a fight they don't know the outcome of (they win). If they do, they escalate

Are you speaking as someone that wandered into Goons space and they dropped their titans on your Indy because they were scared of a trap? 😛

 

Doing daily PVP in Provi and being some wars, there was surprisingly little escalation. 

 

One case, that did annoy me, we took out a fleet of Nightmares and were smashing NC.s Cap fleet, so they dropped supers on us. I mean, we had stood there, out gunned, were beating them and they had to pull out bigger toys because they were bad pilots. 😑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like there are a lot of people talking about Eve who have never actually played the game. Or for any meaningful time outside of highsec.  I'm a 10 year eve current player. I 5 box in PvP, use caps, all that stuff.  I don't want to multi-box in DU. Its a breath of fresh air.  The reason DU is attractive to me is it seems like it has/wants to have the SOUL that eve has. Thats what a lot of you are missing.  Sure mechanics different.  But the soul of the game is similar, thats why its getting all the comparisons.  We will have a single shard universe, everyone is on the same server. There is talk of safe zones, but after that more open world style play. JC has said the word "emergant gameplay" and that has been used to describe eve for decades.  Player driven content, player driven market.  Those are the things that interest us, but in a unique 3d world where we are an avatar not a pod or ship in game.  Plus a sub model and a plex model.  These are the reasons I have backed this game, and these are the reasons this game will succeed in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jenshae said:

Are you speaking as someone that wandered into Goons space and they dropped their titans on your Indy because they were scared of a trap? 😛

 

Doing daily PVP in Provi and being some wars, there was surprisingly little escalation. 

 

One case, that did annoy me, we took out a fleet of Nightmares and were smashing NC.s Cap fleet, so they dropped supers on us. I mean, we had stood there, out gunned, were beating them and they had to pull out bigger toys because they were bad pilots. 😑

Nah, only poked goons from wspace and had fun doing it ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jenshae said:

Thats great. If you played EvE for a meaningful time then my comment wasn't directly aimed at you.  

 

But with that being said, the reason im so vocal about eve is, ive seen the nerfs and lived through them. I've seen the forums being littered with whiny carebears threatening to CCP to change the game soley around their play style, slowly ruining what the core of eve was.  A hyper competitive space mmo where you were always at risk.  I don't want that to happen to DU, because from what I've seen, this is the game ive been waiting for.  And as much as I love EvE, i do admit it has flaws.  And even though im a hardcore pvp guy, there are a lot of things i dont want in DU that eve has, such as safe zone ganking. Im ok with DU being a different game.  That doesn't mean it cant have a soul similar to EvE online.  Hell, I remember talking to a fellow corp mate while i was in wormhole space circa 2012 or around there, talking about this new game we heard was being developed called Star Citizen.  We had big debates about what it would actually be, what they were talking about, what things might be similar/different from eve, etc.  So a lot of us hardcore EvE guys are looking for a new game, and not just an eve clone.  But people that have played eve, know that there are some things that just work and are so much fun.  

 

What I think a lot of us, just gamers in general, who especially like a more Sci-Fi based setting are wanting a rich environment, where many play styles can be represented, but also want it to be very competitive, and relying on relationships one way or another to achieve goals.  Having a big open world environment that is player run is what we want.  We want people to have to make choices, and with choices mean mistakes can be made.  Everything that i've seen seems to be heading in that direction, and that is the reason I pledged.  I just hope they stay the course and stick with their vision, and not give in to the carebears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would absolutely agree that EVE and DU share a lot of DNA and will attract a lot of like minded players. Over the years I have gotten to know quite a few people at CCP though visiting Fanfest. EVE Vegas and being involved with the streaming community. I have had very interesting and sensible discussions with some devs where we may not always agree but I certainly found that in general CCP is open to what we as players have to say and will where possible always consider suggestions and  opinions. In my play style I have been able to create a listening ear with them as I see and know some of the issues that they may miss which is great and helps everyone. It's great that for a big established game like EVE, the developers are very accessible and open minded.

 

I can only hope that NQ will live up to the same level of commitment and drive with their eventual player base. It's way too early for that now though but I see the potential for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×