Do you play EVE Online?

Anonymous

Do you play EVE Online  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play EVE Online?

I hope scouting will be more about actively moving around due to limited range, so afk is not an option. Unless you just want to collect data about who's passing very specific point in space, like who's leaving space station heading towards planet, ect.

And public markets should be displayed through some kind of external app - players will export data anyway, even if not provided by NQ.

That would limit multi-sub to simply more characters and faster leveling.

8 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

I hope scouting will be more about actively moving around due to limited range, so afk is not an option. Unless you just want to collect data about who's passing very specific point in space, like who's leaving space station heading towards planet, ect.

And public markets should be displayed through some kind of external app - players will export data anyway, even if not provided by NQ.

That would limit multi-sub to simply more characters and faster leveling.

I just hope they don't allow full access to the markets via an API to prevent botting.

And yes, depending on the mechanics multiple accs might not be viable at all for these things - No one knows yet. The only thing they're always useful is for political shenenigans, everything else is a plus

14 hours ago, Lethys said:

I just hope they don't allow full access to the markets via an API to prevent botting.

I thought more of just viewing the market. For interacting (buying, selling, requesting) you'd still need to get in game, or maybe even physically travel to the market.

6 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

I thought more of just viewing the market. For interacting (buying, selling, requesting) you'd still need to get in game, or maybe even physically travel to the market.

Viewing the markets IS the problem....load all that data into an external program and create a margin trading bot with that info. Park your char at the market terminal and Run the bot 24/7

1 hour ago, Lethys said:

Viewing the markets IS the problem....load all that data into an external program and create a margin trading bot with that info. Park your char at the market terminal and Run the bot 24/7

I'd agree. But something's nagging in the back of my mind. Sandbox and NQ's statements on raw economics in relation to what is currently known of potentially available game feature scopes. It's quite possible that they would take a page from the book of real life (tech curves, socio-economics, technical economic models etc) they would open the door completely and leave the door towards a programmative niche entirely open. 

Not only would that present a rather unique approach in this industry in terms of game development, it would also expose people's behaviour in the sandbox on a groupthink level to the same impulses and choice challenges we see in our own interactions with such mechanisms in the real world. While fear of that is perfectly understandable, it is not something NQ would not be able to provide its players the means with to face such choice challenges and deal with those. Truth be told, it's something that would very quickly take the reigns from EVE away in terms of potential / attention / research opportunities in relation to virtual economics.

On 17/05/2018 at 5:39 AM, Lethys said:

That's assuming you can do all the operations remotely (within limited range). If you need to physically access trading unit to buy/sell, then afk bot won't work (unless you manage to program path-finding too).

56 minutes ago, CalenLoki said:

That's assuming you can do all the operations remotely (within limited range). If you need to physically access trading unit to buy/sell, then afk bot won't work (unless you manage to program path-finding too).

Nope, that's why I said: "Park your char at the terminal". 

Just open the trade/market window and you're good to go

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I am. Why? Because EVE Online is a game with a very strong economy and I can learn much things by playing. Just only take a look on the quantity of blogs tutorial and more https://mmogo24.blogspot.com/2018/09/eve-isk-per-hour-estimates.html articles related with EVE. Whole estimates about farming, whole economy, industry. It is just awesome for me. 

18 minutes ago, Spock said:

It's hard to play when everyone treat you like a spy. Playing alone is just boring.

You expect this game to be any different?

This game will be much, much worse because somebody actually has to dedicate time to mining, planning, and building.

Playing alone is a godsend, just steal everyone else's resources. That's why BOO is going to succeed; it's built off a code of loose rules and general respect, not this "thou shalt not be slavered" that most """"diplomatic"""" orgs have.

4 minutes ago, Kuritho said:

You expect this game to be any different?

This game will be much, much worse because somebody actually has to dedicate time to mining, planning, and building.

Yes, I expect DU to be different. In EVE you can't prove your worth by designing and programming ships. If you are a pacifist then you are left alone in EVE.

12 hours ago, Spock said:

Yes, I expect DU to be different. In EVE you can't prove your worth by designing and programming ships. If you are a pacifist then you are left alone in EVE.

I expect DU to be different to, however I've also played EVE, as mostly an industrialist, but proved my worth in other ways - however, I also defended 'our patch' when needed. There are many ways to prove you worth in EVE, as there will be in DU.

For example, I did little things like this from time to time:

Im sure you can find ways of becoming valued, but more importantly - do your own thing, with or without others, do what makes you happy, dont pander to the group, or find another group. To quote an old proverb "Do what you wanna do, be what wanna be - yeaaah!"

;)

I left EVE for for many reason at the time I believe it was 2012, I had 3 accounts One all around Main account one Freighter Jump pilot and one to run incursions with the Valhalla Project(for currency) . EVE has always had major problems with griefing. However, when they came out with cloaked ships it gave the griefers the upper hand. Between that, the cost of the accounts and the extreme complexity of all things EVE I decided to just stop and find my gaming entertainment elsewhere.  It just stopped being fun!

I Still do and enjoy every minute. Tho it seems like most people here that played it were solo or industrails. and only quit do to gankers "griefers". As a mostly pvper in Eve i dont see the issue with gankers. it helps keep the isk flowing. ya it sucks if you dye with 20B+ but at the same time you should have know that flying a hauler worth that much in high sec was risky. its like the people that still get baited on Freeports. if you would have just takin 2mins to check the system history you would have known going there was a death sentence.

But all i can say is i hope DU does not take the albion online approach and make the a Green zone were you cant attack any one no matter what. all im saying is if i see someone with realy expansive gear/stuff in a safish zone clearing sites/get resources. i should be able to get a group of people to go kill them for it.

P.s. Its not the games fault for not catering to carebears. your not the source of income your just part of the content for the big bois that live dangerously.

7 hours ago, Nosman123 said:

...Its not the games fault for not catering to carebears. your not the source of income your just part of the content for the big bois that live dangerously.

As long as the game also provides at least some of  the mechanics that real life provides for civilizations to deal with anti-social behaviors. Those who choose to work together in a civilized manner to build and create rather then hunt and destroy, need to be able to tag reputation and checkpoints so that a civilized planet's defenses can just blow you out of the sky if you bring your self-serving attitude into our space.

In other words it's about balance.

If the outer rim is dangerous for the civilized then civilized space must be dangerous for the deviants. 

The regios of EVE where you would expect to be safer are actually the more unpredictable and ruthless. I'd agree that  a lot of the stories and sentiments heard against here are based on bad experience, carelessness or general ignorance.

I am an explorer in EVE, I make my income from finding and running high end exploration content and also enjoy the roams and community events my corp provides. I have fun in EVE and enough of it. EVE will give you exactly what you put in, if you choose to not put in the effort and try to make it the easy way you'll not enjoy your time.

It's interesting to read some of the comments here as it appears in quite a few cases people have a misconception that it will be better in DU. It won't be as DU will be far more unpredictable, dangerous, harsh and unforgiving than EVE ever will be. If you fail to grasp the basic concepts in EVE, you will likely get very much lost in DU.