Do you play EVE Online?

Anonymous

Do you play EVE Online  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play EVE Online?

16 minutes ago, Falstaf said:

Ah, but that's not an MMO on the scale of DU. Not even MMO. 

But I guess I can see what you mean. 

It is an MO.  Missing the "massively" part, since the largest servers only have 200-300 people, but it is still an entertaining online experience, complete with factions and pvp that is very similar to what DU is proposing.  Again, one of the few things that distinguishes DU from EGS is the single server.  It seems NQ is putting a lot of stock in that idea.  

Anyway, this is a bit divergent from the OP here.  I may start a new thread on this subject where we can discuss the similarities/differences between other games in more depth.

2 hours ago, BlorgonSlayer said:

Again, one of the few things that distinguishes DU from EGS is the single server. 

Are you sure about that? I don't know EGS so an explanation would be interesting.

2 hours ago, BlorgonSlayer said:

It seems NQ is putting a lot of stock in that idea.  

IS. Scale, networking, size, population density, all those reasons and more.

7 minutes ago, MookMcMook said:

Are you sure about that? I don't know EGS so an explanation would be interesting.

EGS has two main modes - single player and multiplayer.  The single player is obviously offline.  The multiplayer mode is online, with over 1500 servers to choose from.  Some have as few as 4 people on the server, and the largest ones have up to 200-300 people on the server.  Each server has their own rules and scenarios, based on how the server admin sets it up.  The admin can set up each planet however they want, create points of interest for players to interact with, and set rules for each planet, with some being all pvp based, and others with set pvp planets and other pve planets.  I honestly think I like this approach better than a single shard universe, because it allows users to not just drive content in terms of how the civilizations are built, but also in terms of how the planets themselves are designed, how populated with wildlife and resources they are, etc.  I don't see anything like this in DU a of yet.

7 minutes ago, MookMcMook said:

IS. Scale, networking, size, population density, all those reasons and more.

It's true that the single shard has the advantage in terms of networking and density overall.  It's definitely true.  However, for the above mentioned reasons, I think the single shard has some trade offs as well.

See my newly created thread on this subject where we can discuss this topic in more depth and not take away from the original intent of this thread.

• 1 month later...

I've played/lived/worked EVE since well before beta, and ever after. I can understand how EVE is often used as a reference and comparison point for DU. For over 15 years since formal launch EVE has set the de facto standard in terms of environment, genre and gameplay. That said, while there are similarities the simple given facts that 1) NQ is in a position to learn from everything that has happened in the industry since that time, 2) can learn from mistakes made by CCP and 3) is able to set its own vision it follows that DU is not going to be EVE. I'm not even going into consequences of differences in venture development and funding.

Not simply because the technology base is different, even if this already provides a different set of behavioural pathways within the environment. And also because NQ appears to favour the subscription + gametimecode model whereas CCP has chosen to go F2P in a race towards retirement and other plans. 

I do think that people with experience in sandbox games, including EVE, will have advantages that others without such an experience will lack. That said, this is not something NQ is unable to compensate for. 

I don't think people will ever stop comparing DU to EVE, there simply isn't that much available which shares the elements of science fiction, economics, space environment and sandbox. Is this a bad thing? Maybe, I can see it being irritating at times. But it also is a way to test vision and not repeat mistakes and avoid pitfalls. 

DU sharing many baseline concepts with EVE will automatically lead to similar types of stories and behaviour. That's hardly a bad thing. It's what people do in and with the sandbox that makes it grow. And let's be honest, EVE no longer is what it could have become. Once upon a time EVE was not simply a game, it was a sandbox of emergent gameplay. It was something of a virtual Frankenstein creation in its evolution, up to a certain point, becoming alive. But at some point the decision was made to no longer follow that road, for understandable reasons regardless of whether those were good or bad. With the adoption of that one roadmap and the revision of niche based feature sets and the introduction of F2P EVE set a different course. It's becoming a more stricht mechanisms based kindergarten. It's moving away from emergent gameplay. And that quite logically diminishes the value of generated stories and human interaction. It'll allow CCP to create an EVE which can stand up to the inevitable competition and bank on EVE while packaging it up. But it will also leave room for players who seek experiences and (the creation of) stories of more than just mechanically defined stimuli and boundaries. Not a bad thing for DU. 

DU can become anything really. Vision will define how it can evolve. NQ has a lot of options to avoid mistakes and stumbling blocks. That's a big advantage in its own right. Add to that how NQ's team is diverse in focus, and you get a pretty open visor while facing challenges and decisions. They've also hired Hrafnkell Oskarsson recently, an amazingly civil and smart guy who also brings his own practical experience. All in all it gives them a potential to really create a meaningful sandbox which players can take just about anywhere. Sure, the argument can be made that DU is getting somewhere slowly, and yes overall general experience with half made games and kickstarters in the industry isn't that pretty, but at the same time development is consistant. It demonstrates awareness of requirements and of vision. That sets it apart from others who stumble and fail. 

People aren't going to stop comparing DU to others. It's only human. It's not going to stop DU becoming something in its own right. It's been a long time since people with the affinity for general type and genre have had the opportunity to create in meaningful ways. That cements its potential. 

He"s your average bittervet. There's lots of them and generally the concept is that because CCP choose to include more people in the game they took away the bittervets preferred gamepkay which is nonsense IMO.

1 hour ago, Lethys said:

Everyone who accuses CCP of having problems and sometimes making bad deciscions is a bittervet obviously

Ah come on, when have CCPians ever had problems or made weird decisions :) 

EVE's an amazing cash cow, definition of succes. 

1 hour ago, Lethys said:

Ah okay

Poster is not

2 hours ago, Lethys said:

Everyone who accuses CCP of having problems and sometimes making bad deciscions is a bittervet obviously

This would not apply to the relevant post and you know it. His playstyle and actions in EVE as documented in several places would actually be fed and promoted by the current state of the game. It appears he likes to fly with large groups to build his Killboard through blowing up structures and ships (but then mostly leaving the pod alone) and later ganking miners in Highsec. Mind you, not saying anything against how he seems to enjoy playing EVE, to each his own.

CCP is really good at making huge blunders and basically tripping on the same stones over and over. The EVE community however is strong enough to carry the game almost regardless of what CCP does or does not do. For now NQ can only hope to be able to build the same community and iMO they have a good chance of doing so because they have a shining example in CCP of how to not address of approach certain situations.. 

That said, outside (and as far as we know) of the skill system, commerce and potentially politics DU is nothing like EVE really. It is much more like Kerbal with the mentioned EVE components built in and the Empyrion building system added, All in all potentially a good mix IMO provided NQ is able to steer clear of the obvious and coming cliffs..

Well, according to several places one could determine you don't even know how to play eve or you're just bad at it. 

Doesn't mean that's true though.

Really don't know what sentence there makes him a bittervet. He just wrote His opinion about CCP and eve - both have problems and Made Bad deciscions now and before (f2p crap, skill injectors, devs playing eve as normal players, ...)

12 minutes ago, Nanoman said:

Just out of curiosity, why should devs not play a game as normal players?

This only leads to making friends ingame (that's natural when playing together) and may (as seen in eve) lead to those players getting information/Intel/resources/stuff for free from a dev. Been there, saw that, No thanks

There is something i would like to see in DU that is possible in EVE : Scams.

In Eve it's tolerate (allowed but with some rules, basicly you can scam a single player but not using a fishing web-site for massive scaming).

I hope that in DU we will be allowed to scam someone out of DAC without having an InGame Moderator coming to take it back.

(If you give freely  your cupon to someone ... well, your just f****)

20 minutes ago, Nanoman said:

Just out of curiosity, why should devs not play a game as normal players?

In my opinion, Devs must play to them game, after all, how to dev for players if you're not yourself a player ? And after a few year I would definitly play to my game :D

3 minutes ago, Moysea said:

my opinion, Devs must play to them game, after all, how to dev for players if you're not yourself a player ? And after a few year I would definitly play to my game

With dev accs and clear logs of everything - sure. They have to Play their game after all to see it working

13 minutes ago, Lethys said:

This only leads to making friends ingame (that's natural when playing together) and may (as seen in eve) lead to those players getting information/Intel/resources/stuff for free from a dev. Been there, saw that, No thanks

Hoo didn't saw your answer, i was writing in the same time :)

For the informations, depend of what king of informations, if it is informations about other clans, well ... you're right that suck. Also if they give freely some stuff.

6 hours ago, Nanoman said:

Agreed, certainly. But then they're not really playing as normal players, only AS IF normal players.

But if a dev (let's say JC for example) wants to be able to enjoy the game without all the fuss of being recognized, then I would not expect them to have to come online with their real name or with their dev account. Would you? That would probably just be awkward for everyone.

I do understand the dilemma, but I would not want to deny them the ability to enjoy the game like anyone else. It's their responsibility to separate their private lives from work, imo. If they were caught cheating in any way then that should probably have consequences.

Yes it's a dilemma and i get both sides. But from my XP in eve I just say no to them playing with incognito accs. And it's like any company really, as an employee you're Not allowed to play (contests for example).

It's their call how they do it but If they allow it and someone fails at it, then it'll be a unneccessary shitshow

I play EVE since 2009 :) and still like the game and most updates to it. 

On 10/3/2016 at 6:15 AM, Anonymous said:

I'm not actually sure if I want to play an EVE "clone". I think we should focus on being the disruptive tech and making DU truly unique. But - it might just be that since I've never played it, that I'm missing the point that it's the best thing since sliced bread?

DU will never be an EVE clone, though it may have similar concepts in some areas. In general DU and EVE are totally different games about space. Currently there is only one direct clone of EVE and it's Perpetuum online. I've tried that game since the early super-closed-pre-alpha build and at that point most of skills has the same description as in EVE. 

DU should have more action like gameplay from what I understood from videos and devblogs, as it relies more on direct control as well as is hard for multiboxing. 

3 hours ago, Lethys said:

Yes it's a dilemma and i get both sides. But from my XP in eve I just say no to them playing with incognito accs. And it's like any company really, as an employee you're Not allowed to play (contests for example).

That's not only in EVE online practice to restrict dev team from common play, as they know much more about upcoming stuff and will be always in better position than regular players. The other thing that I wonder is why developers are not allowed to create another type of content for example controlling some special 'npc' ships during event ('kill ccp guy' event doesn't count as it's a rare case). Such approach may add more unpredictability to gameplay and environment itself would be not just bunch of objects and scripts. It's not only about DU or EVE, but in general about MMO games.