Do you play EVE Online?

Anonymous

Do you play EVE Online  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play EVE Online?

I'm just curious.

I don't play EVE, and 90% of conversations here seem to be "we will / are / should do what EVE does".

I'm not actually sure if I want to play an EVE "clone". I think we should focus on being the disruptive tech and making DU truly unique. But - it might just be that since I've never played it, that I'm missing the point that it's the best thing since sliced bread?

Anyway - not so much as discussion as just a question.

Anon.

I play EVE and I love EVE, but I don't want this to be an EVE clone. 

That being said, EVE is also fairly similar to what this game looks to be (single shard, revolving around spaceships, sandbox game, player driven economy) so a lot of people use EVE as a reference point for how systems should/would work. EVE has also solved a lot of issues/ideas already, so there isn't a huge need to reinvent the wheel for some areas. In addition, many systems are being taken directly from EVE (skill system, market system, combat system, account structure).

I played EvE on and off over the years.

I dont want DU to be just like EvE myself.

DU is quite different at the core in my opinion.

The reason EvE comes up so much is because for a lot of people EvE is the benchmark for a succesful sandbox with a functioning economy. There are many succesful systems in EvE. So its natural for people to fall back on it when describing mechanics.

But for me EvE has grown stale and inflated. I dont want DU to just copy EvE.

And I dont think NQ want that either.

We dont want the WoW effect right. ;)

Played it, but not long.

While it can be used as reference point due to some similarities, I suppose let EvE be EvE and make DU something unique. And I think we won't see a clone.

Former EVE player here,

I certainly don't advocate cloning EVE at all. However EVE is/was groundbreaking in terms of its economy because it is (apart from the artificial and inflationary infusion of ISK through ratting/incursions) a "real" economy. Absolutely everything is player made by raw materials that have to be mined for one way or another. Absolutely all the prices are set by players and the market as a whole. So if DU is aiming for a player-driven economy, similarities to EVE will necessarily develop. It would be foolish both to repeat the mistakes made in EVE and not to try to learn from what has been proven to work - and hopefully make it better.

I had played EVE on and off for a while, and I've gotta say it is a fun and very visually appealing game. The main reasons I'm not currently playing it are...

1: I've not a ton of time to play a new game for the next few weeks, prepping for major life events

2: I'm afraid it will consume my life

3: no one I know currently plays - MMO's don't hold my attention long unless I have friends there

4: not creatively stimulating until high levels of play

My main social group tends to follow whatever games my Fiancee and I play, and my Fiancee doesn't play Eve for reasons #2 and #4.

Dual Universe is a whole other beast however because it will be VERY creatively stimulating. The games that have the most staying power for me are either fun party games, "lose 48 hours" deep strategy games (talking about you Civ 4 and 5), or games in the sandbox genre. So DU is slated to have every feature I liked about Eve and Space Engineers without any of the features that make those games unattractive to me or hard to play. It won't be as punishing as a proper survival game with collision physics and horrendous bugs, it will be a more active play experience than Eve.

The way I see this game is that it is attracting the attention of players who have played similar games for the same reasons I find it attractive, it borrows from games that we like, while tempting us with the opportunity to shape this into our idea of a perfect scifi game. I've seen a great deal of Space Engineers players, Minecraft Players, Starwars Players, Landmark refugees, and even some WOW players check it out.

I played Eve for a couple of years and loved it...but I want something better.  I don't want every important resource to be gank fest central.  I don't want to see 50 players in relatively cheap ships roam all over high security areas and take out any ship they please. (Even though I did some of this myself)  I don't want to see anything that resembles gate camping.  I don't want AFK mining to be a thing.  I don't want anything in the game to be AFKable.  I want to search for resources, not have a predetermined place where we all go to get the things we need.  I want venturing out of a safe zone to become more safe the further you are outside of it because it is unlikely that anyone would have traveled in the exact same direction as you.  I want a real economy where everything you find has some value.  I want rare things to reflect how rare they are in their market price.  I want a person attacking and the person defending to have an equal chance at winning.  If the defender is asleep at the wheel...he should lose.  If he's paying attention, he should be able to escape or defend in such a way that the aggressor doesn't automatically win.

I want a lot of things.  Mostly, I want the game to become an extension of my soul.  Something that I can play as much as possible and never get burnt out.  I guess I want the perfect game. 

Played Eve since 2008, and stopped around April this year. Eve is has some of the best gameplay features you can find in an MMORPG, but it also does have the worst. At the time it came out it was revolutionary, and to be fair it still is to this day. No game has done what they have and done better. This really comes down to the single shard server architecture. That is just one of the many things they will be adopting, but that's fine - we don't need to reinvent the wheel here. Just take what worked, and add to it.

My confidence with NQ only taking the best from Eve, and applying their own vision to it is unshakable. They have put aside many of my fears as I have been following for over a year now, and am truly excited to see what they come up with. 

• 1 year later...

As nothing lasts forever, I think DU, given its intentions and scope, currently has the most realistic (or likely) chances of eventually "replacing" EvE or being serious competition later on.

By the time it would release or be in late Beta, EvE would be a bit older again and I doubt the(ir) devs run it forever.

I, for one, did not play it long. It's an interesting game in terms of complexity, player politics and economy. But I like immersion. And it always felt a bit odd to control a space ship from third person with point and click. I prefer to control the person sitting in it and to be able to leave the ship eventually and run around. First and, ideally, third person. For me, DU is so far the ideal thing. It's not "perfect" (for one, I would prefer something more akin to ego shooter combat system) but not everything is technically viable on that scale.

If it all fits and since I'm no stranger to the intended combat system, I can deal with that if the rest fits the bill nicely.

But alas, time will tell. The "good" thing for me, in general is that I can expect a life expectancy of a few more decades if no external factors make me go RIP. This means I will get to see many interesting games that will built upon newer tech all the time and likely only increase in scope and scale. And so will anyone roughly the same age or younger - or a bit older.

While there will be similarities to EVE, people need to stop comparing DU to it:

•  Because Dual Universe will be undoubtedly better,
  • Because Dual Universe already has a thriving community and the game isn't even public yet..
  • and mostly because it will be far far far far better than EVE Online.

@TheKoolBanana

You forgot to mention you are voicing your opinion here. You are not stating fact if only because EVE is a thriving community of tens of thousands of players of which roughly 20K players are online at any given time. DU is currently a concept for a game in development which holds great promise and possibilities but has yet to become a game. Just the forums and in game chat for the corp I am part of in EVE has more active players in it that in the entire DU community. There is several alliances in EVE with multiples of the total number of members of this forum as members.

Several public fleets I frequent will have between 60 and 100 pilots in fleet with several hundred watching the live stream for sometimes several hours on Twitch. And there is generally several of these fleets going on at the same time. DU will never have that because it will be a different game where these events would not work. Not saying that  is bad (or good), just that it's really apples and oranges. Saying an established game is/will be better that what at this time is a concept for a game in pre-alpha is pushing it.

There is people here who dislike EVE and that's fine, there is bitter vets who have no idea what goes on in the game now and that's fine too. Facts are quite clear though and while I certainly hope and expect DU to be a big one and likely the closest to EVE between all the 'contenders' it's still a very, very different game in a very early state of development.

1 hour ago, TheKoolBanana said:

While there will be similarities to EVE, people need to stop comparing DU to it:

•  Because Dual Universe will be undoubtedly better,
  • Because Dual Universe already has a thriving community and the game isn't even public yet..
  • and mostly because it will be far far far far better than EVE Online.

Not keen on these descriptions because they resort to subjective qualifiers too much ie subjective experience vs impartial object.

At a high level:-

• EVE is more simulation. DU is a combination of sandbox (1st) and then simulation (2nd). THIS is a huge difference. It is not better or worse necessarily. For example today EVE has a thriving virtual economy DU does not. For example today DU has a sandbox voxel terrain construction + destruction manipulation interaction EVE does not.
  • Community: EVE is oriented around combat which is a huge driver for the virtual economy simulation. DU will have more orientation around builders and creativity for the sake of creativity. We just don't know how the combat layer will pan out yet. This will generate different community interactions and in-game culture. I do expect a lot of EVE players to be interested in DU as EVE along with DU are both VIRTUAL WORLD MMOs (MMOVW). I expect those who are interested in ED and SC might be interested too given the large universe size and spaceship dimensions (1 design 2 build 3 script 4 crew 5 use).
  • Let's not invite hubris. ps that avatar you use is simply awesome art.

edit: what @Dunbal and @wizardoftrash both said and @blazemonger of course given the detail on EVE.

Another poll worth doing is "what game brought you to this one", or "how did you hear about this game".  For me, it was the chatter over on the EGS forums.  I'm a new player there, and heard people mentioning that this game was good/bad, so I thought I'd check it out for myself.  I'm still not convinced that this game has anything unique to offer that EGS hasn't done already, except maybe better graphics and a single unified server.  Not sure that's worth a monthly subscription when I can play EGS for a one time payment.