Death and all its consequences, food for thought? (Continued with latest info)

NQ said that resurrection nodes need a power source and need to be charged to work.  I would assume that the nodes take time to "recharge" depending on the power source.  So if you die before recharge, you will resurrect at a more distant node.  You then need to travel back into range in order to spawn at the original node you wanted.  This should stop repeated suicide tactics.

It's going to be really hard to balance this kind of respawn system, but if it is balanced it will be ideal.

Hey guys, lots of interesting viewpoints in this thread, thanks. :)

Now after the latest interview with DM21 JC did say a couple of interesting things.

He said there will be a bounty system wich we all knew. But he also said there would be other systems in place so that there would be consequences for attacking a peaceful player.

JC used the words " challenging to attack other players without warning or reasons"

So what would that mean? The way I understood him he is talking about a system seperate from the bounty mechanic.

Any ideas?

(Around the 48 mins mark)

Hey guys, lots of interesting viewpoints in this thread, thanks. :)

Now after the latest interview with DM21 JC did say a couple of interesting things.

He said there will be a bounty system wich we all knew. But he also said there would be other systems in place so that there would be consequences for attacking a peaceful player.

JC used the words " challenging to attack other players without warning or reasons"

So what would that mean? The way I understood him he is talking about a system seperate from the bounty mechanic.

Any ideas?

(Around the 48 mins mark)

How would the game engine know if someone has a reason to attack someone else or whether that reason is a good reason?  Maybe the reason is he doesn't like the color of his helmet, or maybe it's because they're both running to stick a claim beacon in the same resources-rich hex.  Or maybe they had a nasty argument in a bar.  What reason is good enough for wanting to kill someone if not self-defense and how could a game engine determine criminal intent?  If someone is aiming a weapon at me but hasn't fired yet, am I allowed to shoot first?  

If he wants emergent politics, I think he has to allow emergent law and order as well.  He'll do what he wants of course, but I think safe zones and arkship AI-enforced property rights are a sufficient foundation for civilization.  Beyond that, if the AI is setting and paying bounties for the bad guys, then the AI effectively is the government, and I don't think he wants that.  By definition, a government is the only entity allowed to legally employ violence for any purpose other than self-defense.  Any organization that can only do so under conditions determined by the AI godmind won't be a government.

How would the game engine know if someone has a reason to attack someone else or whether that reason is a good reason?  Maybe the reason is he doesn't like the color of his helmet, or maybe it's because they're both running to stick a claim beacon in the same resources-rich hex.  Or maybe they had a nasty argument in a bar.  What reason is good enough for wanting to kill someone if not self-defense and how could a game engine determine criminal intent?  If someone is aiming a weapon at me but hasn't fired yet, am I allowed to shoot first?  

If he wants emergent politics, I think he has to allow emergent law and order as well.  He'll do what he wants of course, but I think safe zones and arkship AI-enforced property rights are a sufficient foundation for civilization.  Beyond that, if the AI is setting and paying bounties for the bad guys, then the AI effectively is the government, and I don't think he wants that.  By definition, a government is the only entity allowed to legally employ violence for any purpose other than self-defense.  Any organization that can only do so under conditions determined by the AI godmind won't be a government.

Welp, simple, you attack a player without having a bounty on them, get a red-name indication. Players may have rulesets in their organisations for defenses to auto-target PK-red people. Who knows.

My thought's on the corpse runner scenario:

Sure you can try and suicide run my town to run down the ammo in the turrets but after the first time you damage my property you are going to be flagged as hostile and "kill on sight" to the turrets and everyone in the town militia.

Good luck, my ammo and fuel stock piles are a lot bigger and automatically replenished by the friendly traders and miners who come visiting to trade and the resources it takes to kill you are certainly a lot less than the cost of the respawn and your discarded equipment that is now scattered across the no mans land where you dropped it on your many deaths.

You won't make it  closer than 100m to the town perimeter, before you are perforated meat

My thought's on the corpse runner scenario:

Sure you can try and suicide run my town to run down the ammo in the turrets but after the first time you damage my property you are going to be flagged as hostile and "kill on sight" to the turrets and everyone in the town militia.

Good luck, my ammo and fuel stock piles are a lot bigger and automatically replenished by the friendly traders and miners who come visiting to trade and the resources it takes to kill you are certainly a lot less than the cost of the respawn and your discarded equipment that is now scattered across the no mans land where you dropped it on your many deaths.

You won't make it  closer than 100m to the town perimeter, before you are perforated meat

Restocking only works under the assumption that the people supplying you can actually travel to and from the supply site safely. Any good tactician would set up a blockade around a besieged town/city to run it dry of it's resources.

Restocking only works under the assumption that the people supplying you can actually travel to and from the supply site safely. Any good tactician would set up a blockade around a besieged town/city to run it dry of it's resources.

Blockades also take resources. Setting them up takes time and effort, supply lines, workers, available resources, connections, and just so much stuff.

To effectively blockade, you would need to set up a large fleet around a smaller area. A planetary blockade might be ineffective, but a point blockade on a city would probably lend a number of hands.

Also, not to mention that setting up a blockade on a planet doesn't get rid of the resources on that planet.