Damage types, resistances, weapon statistics...

Good evening!

I've searched for a thread to discuss damage types, resistances, and weapon statistics and have come up short. If anyone could point me in the right direction to discuss this stuff, I would appreciate it.

If not, here's some ideas me and my buddy came up with while at work late one night. Please let me know what you guys think. Cheers!

First off, some of these ideas aren't brand new or anything. We were just discussing games that had balanced damage and resistance types and also combat systems that rewarded preparation and cooperative combat. We grinned at the idea of multi-crew ships with players having their own role to help on the ship but also each ship having it's own role as well in the fleet and in a skirmish.

So to start, before discussing the specific damage types, we thought how the balance of the weapon's base statistics and how they affected each other was important as well. So during build mode...

During build mode, when making your ship/construct, and when you are setting up a weapon element, there would be a slider table of base stats of the weapon element (as written below). This slider shows all the information dynamically and how each factor changes the others. It also dynamically shows the resources and skills required to build that weapon. This information moves as you scale up or down any weapon factor. So the balance of all damage types could be changed by NQ modifying the base table and then it would efficiently affect all weapons at the same time.

Regardless of damage type, each weapon would have base stats that would affect the requirements to create such a weapon. You could make a high powered laser that does a lot of damage, but it's rate of recharge and wattage requirements might prevent it from being used very often. Or, you could have a high rate of fire projectile weapon with low power requirements, but it has relatively low damage output.

Scalable base statistics for weapon elements:

- damage per shot

- point of impact size of shot

- rate of fire/recharge time of shot (recharging would show a colorized graphic, so a longer recharge could be seen more easily)

- distance of shot (accuracy or damage falls off at a certain rate farther away)

- accuracy (chance to hit modifier)

Those base weapon statistics also scale the minimum requirements for that weapon to function which are...

Weapon minimum requirements:

- wattage/power requirements per shot

- voltage/ship energy system design

- fire delay after fire command

- accuracy

- number of shots before overhaul/rebuild of weapon is necessary

Damage Types: (each with it's own colorized graphic to show during combat whats going on)

Laser (red)

Plasma (teal)

Electric Arc (blue)

Rocket (orange)

Projectile (white)

Nanite Healers/Repairs (pink... and more on healing/repairs later)

Shield-Repair Energy Beam (green)

Electo-Magnetic field/pulse (purple)

Weapon Elements can be made for any of the damage types when having the necessary resources and possessing the correct skills when building. Based on the damage type, it slightly or greatly colorizes the element itself in some way. Either just a little bit or a great deal, based on some of the scalable stats. This gives value to scouting fly-by's of possible enemys before encounters.

Also, as JC said, resistances to damage types could baked into voxel material. A construct could be made with base resources, or if you added a certain elememt to that voxel to make it an alloy, it could be given a modified resistance to a certain damage type. For example; iron is used to make basic voxel armor, but if you add 25% cobalt to it, it adds 25% resistance to plasma damage.

To further allow for ship customization and creating different ship roles, Weapon sizes could be small(50cm), medium(250cm) large(1m), and could either be fixed or turret elements. Fixed weapons could only be operated from the main control seat, but turretted weapons could be operated either locally or with alternate control seats.

Now on to another idea...

For ship-to-ship energy transfer, which could be a game mechanic of repairs or helping charge a super weapon, a microwave transmitter or reciever element could be used. This would not need to be a special asset model, but could use any antenna asset model if one already exists.

The idea behind construct energy transfer would be that, based on the scalable stats as described before which might require a lot of wattage, a very specific or high yield weapon might take the energy of numerous ships to charge up and fire. Yes all the power generators or reactors could be on that one ship with the weapon, but it would make it very massive, slow, and an easy target.

Energy transfer could also aide it supplementing repair systems of a ship that is currently taking damage. The energy transfer could be broadly targeted (at lower skill or tier) to only help any shields. Or at higher skill, allow for the targetted discharge of microwave energy to their reciever antenna and now that construct has a temporary surplus of energy for usage where chosen. This could boost repair modules, help charge any FTL drives, or high yield weapons. Inter-ship or contruct systems adds another layer of complexity to the game which rewards corporations that are organized, and work well as a team.

I could just imagine having a primary weapon ship having one plasma weapon that is set up for just one massive shot, but it doesn't even have the power on hand to charge it, but thankfully 4 ships can discharge their reactors into it's receiver and they all can power up the hail mary huge plasma shot that could tip the tide in the battle!

Well, thanks for reading. And sorry if these ideas were stated before or come across as unorganized. I like to know what you guys think and hear what ideas you have regarding ship-to-ship cooperative and organzied combat.

Good evening!

I've searched for a thread to discuss damage types, resistances, and weapon statistics and have come up short. If anyone could point me in the right direction to discuss this stuff, I would appreciate it.

If not, here's some ideas me and my buddy came up with while at work late one night. Please let me know what you guys think. Cheers!

First off, some of these ideas aren't brand new or anything. We were just discussing games that had balanced damage and resistance types and also combat systems that rewarded preparation and cooperative combat. We grinned at the idea of multi-crew ships with players having their own role to help on the ship but also each ship having it's own role as well in the fleet and in a skirmish.

So to start, before discussing the specific damage types, we thought how the balance of the weapon's base statistics and how they affected each other was important as well. So during build mode...

During build mode, when making your ship/construct, and when you are setting up a weapon element, there would be a slider table of base stats of the weapon element (as written below). This slider shows all the information dynamically and how each factor changes the others. It also dynamically shows the resources and skills required to build that weapon. This information moves as you scale up or down any weapon factor. So the balance of all damage types could be changed by NQ modifying the base table and then it would efficiently affect all weapons at the same time.

Regardless of damage type, each weapon would have base stats that would affect the requirements to create such a weapon. You could make a high powered laser that does a lot of damage, but it's rate of recharge and wattage requirements might prevent it from being used very often. Or, you could have a high rate of fire projectile weapon with low power requirements, but it has relatively low damage output.

Scalable base statistics for weapon elements:

- damage per shot

- point of impact size of shot

- rate of fire/recharge time of shot (recharging would show a colorized graphic, so a longer recharge could be seen more easily)

- distance of shot (accuracy or damage falls off at a certain rate farther away)

- accuracy (chance to hit modifier)

Those base weapon statistics also scale the minimum requirements for that weapon to function which are...

Weapon minimum requirements:

- wattage/power requirements per shot

- voltage/ship energy system design

- fire delay after fire command

- accuracy

- number of shots before overhaul/rebuild of weapon is necessary

Damage Types: (each with it's own colorized graphic to show during combat whats going on)

Laser (red)

Plasma (teal)

Electric Arc (blue)

Rocket (orange)

Projectile (white)

Nanite Healers/Repairs (pink... and more on healing/repairs later)

Shield-Repair Energy Beam (green)

Electo-Magnetic field/pulse (purple)

Weapon Elements can be made for any of the damage types when having the necessary resources and possessing the correct skills when building. Based on the damage type, it slightly or greatly colorizes the element itself in some way. Either just a little bit or a great deal, based on some of the scalable stats. This gives value to scouting fly-by's of possible enemys before encounters.

Also, as JC said, resistances to damage types could baked into voxel material. A construct could be made with base resources, or if you added a certain elememt to that voxel to make it an alloy, it could be given a modified resistance to a certain damage type. For example; iron is used to make basic voxel armor, but if you add 25% cobalt to it, it adds 25% resistance to plasma damage.

To further allow for ship customization and creating different ship roles, Weapon sizes could be small(50cm), medium(250cm) large(1m), and could either be fixed or turret elements. Fixed weapons could only be operated from the main control seat, but turretted weapons could be operated either locally or with alternate control seats.

Now on to another idea...

For ship-to-ship energy transfer, which could be a game mechanic of repairs or helping charge a super weapon, a microwave transmitter or reciever element could be used. This would not need to be a special asset model, but could use any antenna asset model if one already exists.

The idea behind construct energy transfer would be that, based on the scalable stats as described before which might require a lot of wattage, a very specific or high yield weapon might take the energy of numerous ships to charge up and fire. Yes all the power generators or reactors could be on that one ship with the weapon, but it would make it very massive, slow, and an easy target.

Energy transfer could also aide it supplementing repair systems of a ship that is currently taking damage. The energy transfer could be broadly targeted (at lower skill or tier) to only help any shields. Or at higher skill, allow for the targetted discharge of microwave energy to their reciever antenna and now that construct has a temporary surplus of energy for usage where chosen. This could boost repair modules, help charge any FTL drives, or high yield weapons. Inter-ship or contruct systems adds another layer of complexity to the game which rewards corporations that are organized, and work well as a team.

I could just imagine having a primary weapon ship having one plasma weapon that is set up for just one massive shot, but it doesn't even have the power on hand to charge it, but thankfully 4 ships can discharge their reactors into it's receiver and they all can power up the hail mary huge plasma shot that could tip the tide in the battle!

Well, thanks for reading. And sorry if these ideas were stated before or come across as unorganized. I like to know what you guys think and hear what ideas you have regarding ship-to-ship cooperative and organzied combat.

I like the idea of cooperative ship-to-ship combat, everyone has a role to play and that way the battle can be won by the group that works best together & another benefit is that the burden of using all the controls & weapons doesn't fall on just one person, everyone controls one section or weapon of the ship, but in unison.

i was thinking before, weapons colors could be customized throught modification of the lua. organization members would adopt same colors, so during space combats it would be more clear and easier to differentiate different sides.

diferent weapons types could so, have very different visual effects, particles, lengh and width of trails...

i was thinking before, weapons colors could be customized throught modification of the lua. organization members would adopt same colors, so during space combats it would be more clear and easier to differentiate different sides.

diferent weapons types could so, have very different visual effects, particles, lengh and width of trails...

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of colors being used to show a corporation's ships, but i was thinking some corps would have a color pallete for the ships themselves. I don't know i guess i got used to mmo's showing damage types with color.... Like getting hit with a fire attack is red or orange but an ice attack is blue.

I know this isn't exactly the same here in space, but i think the game mechanic is there. "Oh man they are almost all plasma weapon equipped and we are really weak against that damage type... I think we should run for it!"

I like the idea of cooperative ship-to-ship combat, everyone has a role to play and that way the battle can be won by the group that works best together & another benefit is that the burden of using all the controls & weapons doesn't fall on just one person, everyone controls one section or weapon of the ship, but in unison.

I totally feel the same way! Having the game reward team cooperative combat, between a crew on one ship and also multiple ships sounds awesome to me. Ships being designed and operated with cooperation in mind also sounds like a fun design challenge as well.

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of colors being used to show a corporation's ships, but i was thinking some corps would have a color pallete for the ships themselves. I don't know i guess i got used to mmo's showing damage types with color.... Like getting hit with a fire attack is red or orange but an ice attack is blue.

I know this isn't exactly the same here in space, but i think the game mechanic is there. "Oh man they are almost all plasma weapon equipped and we are really weak against that damage type... I think we should run for it!"

my qote directly come from star wars lol, blue vs red. where all weapons using lazers...

for sure an icy attack wouldnt look good if it is tinted greenish, so maybe only lazers should be color customized?

my qote directly come from star wars lol, blue vs red. where all weapons using lazers...

for sure an icy attack wouldnt look good if it is tinted greenish, so maybe only lazers should be color customized?

I like that idea too :)

So The color of the laser could effect the way it works in certain mediums. For example, a red laser has less powerful photons, but there are more of them per watt of power. It may be easier to stop these with a sandcaster, for example, while blue lasers may not work well in atmosphere. A green laser may split the difference. Specific coatings would work better against different color lasers: blue photons would be reflected more efficiently by blue paint, so matching your lasers to your paint jobs would reduce damage by friendly fire. Mirror surfaces would work well against all colors, but maintenance would be a pain, it would be expensive, and would be quickly degraded in battle due to carbon scoring, or if hit by a missile or projectile.

Deflector shields would be electromagnetic fields that repel projectiles and missiles. Armor would be heavy plating that could absorb all kinds of damage.