Another gem from Twitter. A look at Alioth.

Hotwingz

I see a lot of water, though. Wonder what it looks like up close.

Here's hoping we are able to have the water flowing system (Minecraft Style) when in Alpha, instead of the Space Engineers Water System...

Cause contrariety to popular belief -due to my flaming avatar and signature- I love water!!! xD lol

Well, I wonder... If there's so much water, how could we all (thousands or millions) have a tile in Alioth? (Unless the planet be really hughe, like it appears to be)

Why do you say that we would all have a territory tile on Alioth?  It is only supposed to be a 100km planet, and claiming a territory will not be a simply task.  I haven't done the math yet, but if its 100km diameter planet, then there will be approximately 320 territory tiles wrapping the planet at the equator (each tile is 1km wide).

Why do you say that we would all have a territory tile on Alioth?  It is only supposed to be a 100km planet, and claiming a territory will not be a simply task.  I haven't done the math yet, but if its 100km diameter planet, then there will be approximately 320 territory tiles wrapping the planet at the equator (each tile is 1km wide).

31416 1 km tiles, actually. Minus the water, so maybe 15K tiles of land.

Yeah, i was only expressing my longing...

What I don't really know is how the territory issues will be managed in the safe zone, near the Arkship. By the way, someone (creator or devs) has said something about the size of the Safe Zone?

Thanks.

By the way, someone (creator or devs) has said something about the size of the Safe Zone?

Thanks.

The safezone is currently a circle of 20km. I'm terrible at math so someone might have to correct me on this. But it will be reasonably large to get stuff done.

The safezone is currently a circle of 20km. I'm terrible at math so someone might have to correct me on this. But it will be reasonably large to get stuff done.

Thank you, Falstaf. 20 km is enough large, yeah. I imagine that every big organization would claim its tile there. :D

Everything would have to be really large to cover long-term developments or else it would all be rather packed and tight over time - if we assume single shard will remain single shard and if "just one spawn area for all" will remain. You have to calculate with possibly thousands of players. I can't even imagine how that will work out if they all start in one place.

There would have to be some infrastructure made by the devs (likely the arkship) and it would have to be somewhat larger. I actually wonder how the tech (server and clientside) will handle so many clients in one area. If there will just be one major starting area you have to keep in mind that not just new players will run around there, but others as well to recruit or trade.

Of course things can change. Perhaps they will have two starting areas close to each other or with some distance to mix things up (you could select them). Maybe they'll stick with one. Only time will tell, but so far it seems that the early bird will be heavily favored compared to those coming way later.

Dibs in essence.

Yes Warden but such is the nature of sandbox games. Hopefully the early birds will be sensible enough to develop the safezone with respect towards newcomers.

You dont have to own a house to play right. So hopefully the newcomers will have a fair market unit and useful industrial infrastructure.

On the server tech, JC calls it 'dynamic area splitting'. It basicly divides space in seperate sections as people density increases in that given area. The more sections are created the more server hardware is called upon to handle the load. And this happens seamlessly, we as players wont notice this happening.

So everybody spawning at the same place after character creation shouldnt be a problem according to his predictive models and tests.

That makes it stable or even possible for the server. And the client? I'm no expert but I assume you need a strong machine to cover anything that the client has to cover.

In the end we're still in a theoretical stage - of course the devs have a better understanding of the scope and tech. But for me the only thing that matters is eventually seeing it at work. Until then I'll refrain from praise (and overly negative scepticism).

Regardless of the tech the point still stands that the early birds have an advantage. The difference between other sandbox games is the playercount. If it all works out we have to calculate with thousands of players on that planet at one time.

With just enough or too many players, any large area suddenly becomes small in comparison. I like to compare with the Civcraft server from minecraft. The map size was basically 15k in any direction. 15.000 blocks. Quite large for Minecraft servers. Of course the map went on but it was the artificial map border to keep things "managable". The server or community ran for years and is likely still on the same map.

Whole civilizations and cities were created there, and a lot of land is still not 'settled'. It can take some time to traverse the region (on foot) and people built public transportation to make it faster. However you have like 100 players (more or less) on at a time or 150.

Now thing of a large area with similar size or a bit more and thousands of players trying to be there and leave their mark. I just hope the planet will be large enough to cover those numbers - or at least do it long enough until many can leave into space.

But in the end one can write or talk for ages. In the end we have to wait and see.

That makes it stable or even possible for the server. And the client?

But in the end one can write or talk for ages. In the end we have to wait and see.

Well since the process was captured through the camera of a client it seems to be working well. You can notice some lagg so its certainly not perfect yet. But I am confident that it will work out. I just dont see a scientist like JC making such a claim with nothing to back it up.

But I dont disagree with you about the early bird effect. Not at all.

Yes we will have to wait and see but we are here to talk about DU so no harm in talking. :)