City Planners / Urban Planners / Zone Planning

juvenius

I could also imagine a sprawling Space Station style city with a Scaffolding style pattern of "hallways" that connect to large empty areas with core units that can be sold or rented out. It would have a modular repeatable design, but each component would be built by different players resulting in a sort-of spazzy borg-cube of different architecture styles, or a death star of shopping malls.

That could work, but only as soon as they are ready with territory in space. So initially people may focus on ground territory as that guarantees the TCU mechanics and whatnot more if I got the recent Q&As right.

Space Stations will serve as vital part in logistics and whatnot, but in terms of a city or place to settle, I'd favor a city - you can utilize the whole vehicle mechanic or advantages there more than in a cramped space station after all, unless it was really giant and would allow vehicles.

That could work, but only as soon as they are ready with territory in space. So initially people may focus on ground territory as that guarantees the TCU mechanics and whatnot more if I got the recent Q&As right.

Space Stations will serve as vital part in logistics and whatnot, but in terms of a city or place to settle, I'd favor a city - you can utilize the whole vehicle mechanic or advantages there more than in a cramped space station after all, unless it was really giant and would allow vehicles.

An org should be able to use the space station method without Territory Units simply by setting permissions on the Core Units for the superstructure of the station to just key members of the org, and set permission on the smaller (size limited) Core units in the "honeycomb" sections to individual players.

It might be a bit tricky to make the corridors big enough for ships, but there could be corridor sections intended for players, larger corridors intended for personal transport (small spaceships), and outer hangar bays for larger ships to simply dock. I might sit down and do a few sketches of what I'm imagining for this.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that a City will grow like it does in Real Life. So one will build a Small House at First, some more will build near it, and as the Village grows streets and districts will appear by its own, because its the most logical and easiest way to Lead a City (Run a city?). I dont think that a House needs a Core. Maybe the things Inside it but not the House itself

If one looks at cities, one can often still note traces of the past, whether by design or remnants (old houses or buildings or walls). Sure, cities grow and change over time, some keep certain "weaknesses", others change by rebuilding areas.

The advantage here is that we can learn from the past and present and already apply modern-ish city designs - right away.

Sure, things will still change. But if you plan ahead and plan with rough spaces and districts already, chances are you save work by avoiding major revisions.

I rather thing that some major city designers will start with major areas like a central hub. Think of a government district and / or a trading center, and then a housing area. The starting point may likely end up as center, so things will be larger there. Eventually you'd have suburbs or something. Like a real modern city.

ok that's what I think, playing games like simcity or city:skyline will help a little. Maybe trying to actually observe in google street view or even go to the city to tell what is their way of making a success city.

All those games have taught me is that AIs love taking one road, and one road alone.

Planned cities will have the advantage over real world ones in that we know the tech we're dealing with here. The inner, business section of my city has constant traffic problems because even its widest roads were still only planned for horsedrawn carriages and weren't made to deal with modern traffic (to the point where tram and car traffic is often completely split up on different streets). Well-planned roads will be wide enough to allow at least two hovertanks go by (for defense of the capital, comrade) and poorly planned ones will have thin streets and buildings stretching up so high that you can't see the sky. It'll be interesting to watch them all evolve.

Knowing overall players creativity level from other constructor games (not saying about exclufings, overall level), I do not expect to see anything amazing. Most often building is = function module + layer of armour. As result, we get box.

Then why to have city? It will be more visible, it will be more known (?), and in the end it will bring more pirates and those who want to destroy it. Defence, as much it known is very limited and won't help that much (shield is cool, but it is almost impossible to balance it against 10 and against 250 players).

How many big size functional modules would we have? If few only, then what the point to create massive structures? There are many questions. And once again, I'm speaking about overall player quality/target.

I don't speak about ability to make tunnels under base to break it down easily (digging or explosions, whatever).

So don't expect too much to see nice looking cities, especially many of them. I am very sceptical to cities and planetary massive buikdings, if NQ do not plan safe zones (with risk, with trade off, with control requirements and other).

Thanks,

Archonious

So don't expect too much to see nice looking cities, especially many of them. I am very sceptical to cities and planetary massive buikdings, if NQ do not plan safe zones (with risk, with trade off, with control requirements and other).

I mean, seriously, what is wrong with you?

NQ SAID there will be a safezone around the arkship which can't be destroyed at all

NQ SAID there will be bubbles, fueled by energy, which are destroyable but that would take time.

Yes those bubbles are hard to balance and we have to wait for alpha / beta for final numbers on them.

But all you do is just spreading mischief, rumors and bad attitudes.

I mean, seriously, what is wrong with you?

NQ SAID there will be a safezone around the arkship which can't be destroyed at all

NQ SAID there will be bubbles, fueled by energy, which are destroyable but that would take time.

Yes those bubbles are hard to balance and we have to wait for alpha / beta for final numbers on them.

But all you do is just spreading mischief, rumors and bad attitudes.

Sorry, that I'm not living in your dream land. Who cares about ArkShip Safe Zone? It will be actual in early game. Later it will looks like rubbish dump.

Bubble is just a shield. Everything is known - it would be poor defence level.

And yes, I prefer base my view and opinion on experience (on similar games) and logic, and not create silly dreams like it was with "No Man's Sky" community.

Thanks,

Archonious

Then why to have city? It will be more visible, it will be more known (?), and in the end it will bring more pirates and those who want to destroy it. Defence, as much it known is very limited and won't help that much (shield is cool, but it is almost impossible to balance it against 10 and against 250 players).

For the exact same reasons as real life. It's easier to make money and easier to defend. Tax everyone living in the city, and use the money to fund a military, enormous defensive shield (powered by a huge powerplant, thanks taxpayers) and huge planetary gun to shoot down potential invasion fleets from thousands of kilometres off.

How many big size functional modules would we have? If few only, then what the point to create massive structures? There are many questions. And once again, I'm speaking about overall player quality/target.

Why does it matter if there are only going to be a few? I only need one zetajoule laser cannon to shoot your fleet out of the sky and protect the planet.

I don't speak about ability to make tunnels under base to break it down easily (digging or explosions, whatever).

Why do people assume that shields only operate skywards?

Why do people assume that shields only operate skywards?

Because in general it's hard to get hover tanks into underground tunnels. You gotta be someone real determined to go that route

Why not build your entire city underground? I guess it defeats the purpose of secrecy as with the constant traffic of players moving in and out of a city, but it would be drastically harder to attack. Also we should consider that we know player will always be able to break things in any location except the safezone. Griefing will still be a problem in a city as they can still break walls even if they don't have permissions to use build tools. 

Why not build your entire city underground? I guess it defeats the purpose of secrecy as with the constant traffic of players moving in and out of a city, but it would be drastically harder to attack. Also we should consider that we know player will always be able to break things in any location except the safezone. Griefing will still be a problem in a city as they can still break walls even if they don't have permissions to use build tools. 

Has it been confirmed that we will be able to mine land that has been claimed?

I like to think that a city with proper organization and a sufficient security or police force can deal with any intrusions or relatively quickly fix any damage.

Not like there wouldn't be enough volunteers later on for either city planning or construction and protection.

I like to think that a city with proper organization and a sufficient security or police force can deal with any intrusions or relatively quickly fix any damage.

Not like there wouldn't be enough volunteers later on for either city planning or construction and protection.

Many hope on that. But how will players act? Nobody can predict. How easy will be to make damage and to repair. How organised will be teams? How much players vision will vary?

What I try to say, we think everything will go how we want. Same as most other players, but when our visions will clash, it will make a troubles =) I remember, when me and my friend played Space Engineers together, building same project was a problem very often. There were two of us, I can't even imagine how it will be "great" build with 10 at the same time...

Of course, players can design some plans for cities during Alpha/Beta. Then organise team to reproduce this in release. Very hard to say even about that (it would be boring to reproduce somebody's plan for me, as an example). So we can dream, but we need to wait.

Thanks,

Archonious

Many hope on that. But how will players act? Nobody can predict. How easy will be to make damage and to repair. How organised will be teams? How much players vision will vary?

What I try to say, we think everything will go how we want. Same as most other players, but when our visions will clash, it will make a troubles =) I remember, when me and my friend played Space Engineers together, building same project was a problem very often. There were two of us, I can't even imagine how it will be "great" build with 10 at the same time...

Of course, players can design some plans for cities during Alpha/Beta. Then organise team to reproduce this in release. Very hard to say even about that (it would be boring to reproduce somebody's plan for me, as an example). So we can dream, but we need to wait.

Thanks,

Archonious

As Archonious says, "The best-laid plans of mice and men oft go awry". Better to have a loose direction you wish to go and adapt to the situation as it develops to further your progress towards your goal.

the fact that there will be conflict and that structures will need to be rebuilt / repaired is one of the draws to this game for me.

I am more of a builder / gatherer / explorer type play (I'm not great at pvp). and the idea of logging into the game and immediately being directed by my organization to help rebuild an outpost that has been attacked, sounds like great fun.

as far a city design goes, I think the first organised city's will be built by organizations, as most solo builders are more likely to want there own little homestead / mine / etc. and this would push them further a part (depending on diameter of the claims)

I can't wait to see what people do with this game when it becomes available :D

• 9 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:13 AM, xGugulu said:

I think that a City will grow like it does in Real Life. So one will build a Small House at First, some more will build near it, and as the Village grows streets and districts will appear by its own, because its the most logical and easiest way to Lead a City (Run a city?). I dont think that a House needs a Core. Maybe the things Inside it but not the House itself

Yes I think you will find a lot of players that may be in a small organizations or not in a organization building homes around Space ports , military bases and maybe allied factories if they decide to build outside the Ark area.