Organizations, size, visibility, power, themes and more - your preferences?

Warden

Greetings and welcome to the "precursor debate" that is part of a long-term corporate study about organizations and player preferences.

The goal?

Find out about player preferences. What do you look for in an organization? Does it have to be small, large, cover certain themes, have certain infrastructure or ideology? What should it not have, what do you dislike? Feel free to debate, compare and argue.

Chances are the debate or topic will be repeated over the years to get as much input and a level of comparability so expect duplicates over time. This time we refrain from using a poll (yet).

2017 Edit:

Now adding: Creating your own organization (from scratch?) vs. joining an existing one - what do you prefer or dislike?

Ignore the following. It helps categorize and assign this at a later time:

-------------------------

VCSC-01

Result:

-------------------------

1. I have formed an org for my crew. It may never grow beyond me, because I'm very picky about my crew.

2. I may want to hire but not join a merc org to help get my cargo through.

3. I may be open to joining a large governmental org that controls considerable territory for the protection it provides. I would expect this to be an arrangement where I pay some taxes in exchange for protection of the commons. I would be willing to provide logistic support (hauling) for military efforts at the org's expense, of course.

4. I may be open to joining a medium sized corporate org that would buy my builds and/or scripts.

What i look for in an organization, is camaraderie, and respect.

I also look for more of the rebel type with out to many rules etc... Its to have fun after all.

I also like ones that dont demand i live in the fame, i have a large family and might be absent a lot.

Fun

As long as I think it's funny to be in that org, I'll stay. I don't care much about the people (they are only voices on Teamspeak 10'000km away) so we will never meet. When those people do hilarious stuff, are creative and don't bother much with boring and senseless bureaucracy - you can count me in

I prefer larger ones, but really am not opposed to small group or solo play - I just like seeing the cogs turn in larger groups with the several smaller groups working together. It requires a lot of effort and structuring to pull off a large group coordinated effort and when it is done, it is impressive.

I also prefer groups where everyone is more friendly, humorous and open to ideas. But that's just me. A good environment is always just a nice thing! 

To touch on ideology:

Would you prefer autocratic states and groups with an overly focus on order, control and power and the likes? Or would you rather prefer something more opposite, 'democratic' in a nutshell in terms of the mentality.

Or even something more outlandish or less organized or structured in several areas - like outlaws and whatnot.

I personally think that (so far anyway) the more autocratic concepts that, while appearing as "cool" or interesting for not just a few, may be at a possible disadvantage in certain areas whereas other 'ideologies' may be more competitive.

What do you think?

I've formed a group of orgs, 3 of which represent different aspects of play that I plan on participating in, and the goal of them is really to form loose groups of people who I can play with that each will assist each others. The 3 really represent the main building blocks of a civilization (creative, combat, exploration), and the goal is a loose co-op without much infrastructure to provide a reprieve from solo play. I have no intention of any of my orgs getting really large, and even if they do, there won't be a complex command structure. These are "Profession" orgs, sort of like trade guilds, where I don't expect any exclusivity or sovereignty.

My 4th org exists as a sort-of charity, and represents a play relationship that I'm hoping others will use as an example and further (Squires). Trading a DAC to a player that can't afford a subscription in exchange for a bunch of materials is the kind of transaction that will make the game better for players who have money and little time, and players who have time and little money. I would even consider it a Profession level org for mining and refining.

Oddly enough, there is an unspoken core of each of my orgs, which is just not encouraging players to rip each other off. They will each rely really heavily on the contract system to work, and teamwork is a given any time players form an org (since solo players don't really need orgs).

None of the orgs I made are really ideological groups or built to be governmental orgs (hence why I refer to them as Profession orgs). However I have already joined some orgs that would qualify as govornmental: Cinderfall and Terran Union. I like the existence of these kinds of orgs, and I'll definitely be a part of them and encourage my org members to do the same. They would provide a great infrastructure in which my orgs could thrive by having a safe space to conduct business, and reliable trade and collaboration partners. Since I was able to create some small orgs, I wouldn't be looking for more small orgs to be a part of, however a large org will have a lot to offer me and my org members.

I prefer dictatorships. Democracy is just bad and slow when dealing with situations. In order to respond fast even democratic orgs need one guy who decides -making the democratic part obsolete.

In DU though I think a mix of outlaw paired with a dictator is my choice. Cause you as a member can do what you want and are not bound by any laws but will contribute when the Lordmaster calls

I wouldn't just refer to "special situations" but all aspects relating to an organization. Obviously decisions can also be made quickly by leadership in more democratic influenced organizations, but there's not always a situation where fast input is required.

Dictatorship (to me) would mean one or few rule over almost all aspects - absolute, kind of. With no room for compromise or middle grounds. That would, on average, mean that member participation in minor to major matters would be lower to nonexistant or limited because the word of the leaders is final so to speak.

For inner morale or stability alone that's where I see others at a possible long-term advantage compared to leader-centric orgs. Our organization once took in a few who left such an organization at one point, with them claiming that the "intrusion" over the average player within said organization was too much. That is why I consider those to be more volatile than other groups by default due to strict and invasive rules within.

I actually assume many organizations move somewhere in between the classic "ideologies" and favor a dynamic approach, but when I basically mean "dictatorship" then I actually mean it as far that would be possible in a virtual environment where people could come and go as they please. I suppose it all has pros and cons. A (online) dictatorship could have a different approach to "team building" and work somehow. But in the end I consider it a somewhat problematic environment in the long run.

On the other hand I must also admit that I never really saw one myself or at work for a long time. I only saw the negative examples that didn't seem to last long. But it's also somewhat relative as different people will think of different things when they hear or compare that.

I prefer dictatorships. Democracy is just bad and slow when dealing with situations. In order to respond fast even democratic orgs need one guy who decides -making the democratic part obsolete.

In DU though I think a mix of outlaw paired with a dictator is my choice. Cause you as a member can do what you want and are not bound by any laws but will contribute when the Lordmaster calls

Are you not in some org already? A dictatorship? The best is to put a banner beneath if you have one.

To touch on ideology:

Would you prefer autocratic states and groups with an overly focus on order, control and power and the likes? Or would you rather prefer something more opposite, 'democratic' in a nutshell in terms of the mentality.

Or even something more outlandish or less organized or structured in several areas - like outlaws and whatnot.

I personally think that (so far anyway) the more autocratic concepts that, while appearing as "cool" or interesting for not just a few, may be at a possible disadvantage in certain areas whereas other 'ideologies' may be more competitive.

What do you think?

I believe the 'autocratic' way is the most efficient one. period.

Organisation type - Military

Political model - Parliament/Senate

Size - Medium

Members Model - Ideological (same as organisation direction)

Why do I create organisation?

-This is way to make organisation I want to see. I would be 32 years old when game would be released. I already have some experience in clan management. I have resources (maybe not that huge, but anyway) to start projects like website and other. But one of the main reasons, history of my organisation was written before DU was first time published. It is very important for me.

Why do I need organisation?

-I am kind of players, who cares not about self only. I prefer to help, than destroy. That is opportunity to share my work progress with others.

Second very important thing is communication. I may be bored of game, but will play because of people.

Of course, that is not only the reasons, we can talk about this for ages. Main things are - together we are stronger, together it is more enjoyable.

P.S: So if somebody has questions about organisation, you are welcome in my PM. Also there is info in Community site and organisations forum.

Thanks,

Archonious

I generally avoid joining orgs.

I want as few rules as possible - so I'm most likely to join an org that has no formal rules.

I really only join orgs made up of forum/FB/twitter/twitch friends.

I group with people I want to hang out with - not with people I'm obligated to help.

IF I were to join an organization, I would only join one that is very loose in terms of rules; except for ones like these:

-No belittling others

-You DO NOT attack anyone unless it is in defense of your stuff, or at the discretion (not command) of the organization

-No griefing, swearing, stealing, or any other form of overly aggressive behavior.

You get the idea. :-)

I like peaceful operations where everyone is free to do basically as they please, but are ready to come together at a moment's notice to defend each other. They have each other's back.

Anyone who breaks the rules is given one chance, after that they are out. This would be the only way to preserve the reputation of a peaceful organization.

A kind of "Switzerland" of organizations, as it were.

This might mean that I never join one, just saying something like this would be nice, especially for traders.

I generally avoid joining orgs.

I want as few rules as possible - so I'm most likely to join an org that has no formal rules.

I really only join orgs made up of forum/FB/twitter/twitch friends.

I group with people I want to hang out with - not with people I'm obligated to help.

That's a way of thinking, but orgs can also serves only/by_choice as communities, business, and information, organization basically.

As long as my Pirate Crew from Elite Dangerous, The Code*, can terrorise you for fun and profit, I really don't mind.

*Not C.O.D.E from Eve, in Eve we're Pirata Codex.

Nobody is stopping you. :-) Just try to be "considerate" pirates. A "gentleman" outlaw who only robs from the rich is far less shunned than one who targets the helpless.

That's my view, anyway. Look at the legend of Jesse James, he was considered "the" gentleman outlaw.

Also, there is quite a difference between "pirating" and "wanton destruction", which is what I belive this thread is aimed at.

To me size doesn't matter (that's what she said) but it is all about the people. The name, logo, anything meta game like rpg stuff doesn't matter much to me ... people give that stuff meaning. 

So not sure if this is really what you are asking but all that stuff in the thread title doesn't mean much to me.  Within the same org or not, I like to play with people who have some degree of respect, honor, trust, relaxed for the most part but still goalish type oriented; knows when to play/relax and knows when it is srs time to be srs. These people like to compromise and work well with others. 

If you have a group of people like that then whatever highs or lows come along you all have people to rely on.  Stuff some orgs make mandatory like contributing to the org monetarily or devoting time to some organizational project or risking own property to defend the organization's interests. .... these things are dictated in some orgs but the people I like to play with WANT to do these things.  It isn't asked of them but  it is offered by them. 

Like in Eve, I have a solo corp but a tight group of many good people across many orgs big and small and we do things together because we want to not just because we are under the same banner. Those situations I have been fortunate enough to be a part of are the most satisfying to me.