In Game Mechanics

Staples

Are things like rotors, pistons,  tracks for lifts or doors,  you know Mechanisms planed?

I don't think Hanger doors as elements would work as it would restrict the freedom of ship sizes.

It would also be interesting to craft with fold in wings and other space saving features.

I don't think it will be possible to connect multiple voxel grids with moving parts like that, no. At least nothing of the sort was promised yet. I'm afraid we might be down to pre-made elements like landing gears and blast doors.

It makes all more sense now. Minecraft like, well better though. The doors but not only, I thought it could be the same about glass trunks (curved as the cockpits' glass, you would choose to attach them or not, to create spaces in your train for example, the size you like.

There will be blocks called anchors, and those will come in different types and shapes. Stuff like rotors, pistons, landing gear will be in the game, and it is confirmed, we just dont know how much it will take. Devs confirmed battlemechs or mechaspiders too, so hangar doors for sure are not a problem

In the latest video they showed multiple players standing on a moving floating platform.  

So i think we'll be able to build a hanger door or whatever out of voxels and put a core unit on it and program it to open and close.

It looked like they were using ship thrusters in the video to move the platforms but hopefully there will be other more precise ways to move a construct like rotors and tracks.

There will be blocks called anchors, and those will come in different types and shapes. Stuff like rotors, pistons, landing gear will be in the game, and it is confirmed, we just dont know how much it will take. Devs confirmed battlemechs or mechaspiders too, so hangar doors for sure are not a problem

Actually, anchors are being concidered.

But last I heard they are still in the designing/concept phase. They might not make it for the initial release.

:)

The ship core units come in five sizes with known length, breadth and height. Even if you don't put voxels in that volume that volume defines the ship and it's collusion volume relative to other ships of the same core class and landing on voxels of terrain and larger ships.  Thus we can define 4 or 5 door and hatch areas as the front face of the class for doors, or it's bottom face for hatches. I would be possible to add 5 elements for doors and 5 for hatch/elevators which would either spawn the door voxels or would control them. 

You can do modular voxel doors of any size if you have a voxel that switches both texture and collision category on a signal. The question is whether you want to have that signal sent to all voxels in a volume XYZa to XYZb  or propagating though from voxel to voxel. The latter is harder. Animating the texture nor using a large macro texture adds complexity. 

Ship elevators are also possible if you have a deck walk able voxel and a volume. Any thing in the volume is moved down or up at velocity n with the deck voxel moving with them. 

You would either need an alignment field that pulls ships of the correct size into alignment. See No mans sky for that. It would bounce bigger ships.

Or you would need to make the doors a little larger than needed for bad pilots. Most games do both. 

Force fields are easier because in most cases they are just no collide voxels with a translucent texture. 

The minecraft mods are on the curse list and on they're all on github. If you ask permission you may find you could read the code and quickly work out the C++ equivalent. Most static block tricks in minecraft should be doable with Dual Contouring. If it does not have an inventory or flow but just a state and texture swap it should be easy.  

https://mods.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/238546-modular-force-field-systems-mffs