Removal of monthly fee with a solution.

Cirtex

So I read the Kickstarter and I adored everything. Up until I read "monthly fee" and that really annoys me. As a kid with parents who are on a tight budget, I don't wanna be left out on such a project. A monthly fee will detour SO many players. But what I reccomend is setting a base purchase price like any other game. And then use micro-transactions to also help fund it. And the only thing these micro transactions will have are cosmetics, like gun skins, avatar suits, and other things. It's also important to allow players to be able to progress and gain these things themselves. Like through an NPC market people can purchase cosmetics, they would be EXTREAMLY expensive though. But I thing it would be a smarter choice to put a normal 15-30$ price tag on it then use micro transactions for cosmetics that can be applied to things. This would really help! Look at other games that use it look at Team Fortress 2! It makes millions of dollars in key sales ALONE. And the game is completely F2P

So I read the Kickstarter and I adored everything. Up until I read "monthly fee" and that really annoys me. As a kid with parents who are on a tight budget, I don't wanna be left out on such a project. A monthly fee will detour SO many players. But what I reccomend is setting a base purchase price like any other game. And then use micro-transactions to also help fund it. And the only thing these micro transactions will have are cosmetics, like gun skins, avatar suits, and other things. It's also important to allow players to be able to progress and gain these things themselves. Like through an NPC market people can purchase cosmetics, they would be EXTREAMLY expensive though. But I thing it would be a smarter choice to put a normal 15-30$ price tag on it then use micro transactions for cosmetics that can be applied to things. This would really help! Look at other games that use it look at Team Fortress 2! It makes millions of dollars in key sales ALONE. And the game is completely F2P

This topic has already been discussed in great detail in several threads. I would recommend taking a good look at it in the existing threads.

In short, they are basing their business model off of Eve Onile's model, which was quite successful. There is a way for players to play without paying a monthly subscription. Players will be able to buy a one month subscription (called a DAC) and sell it on the in-game market place for in-game money. If a player works hard enough in-game, they will be able to cover their monthly subscriptions that way. Players who are willing to put in the time to grind will be able to buy DAC's off of players who have IRL money but don't have that much time to play. neat tradeoff right? Similarly, one of my Orgs is designed to provide players with DAC's in exchange for raw/refined material.

It all comes down to this: their business model is pretty much set in stone. It isn't up for debate, players backing the project should all be on the same page on this one. There are plenty of F2P games out there, many of them are garbage, and this won't be one of them.

Welcome to the forums.

You are a freeloader.

Cloud-based servers cost. Their rate of updates when spun up, costs. Freeloaders like you won't buy cosmetic items. The initial sale of the game without a subscription, will make the devs charge for expansions (which would break the game, everyone knows that).

The game has a free2play trial account, with limited access to skills. Deal with that, and pay subscription with in-game money instead of real money via the DAC system.

Quality costs and a game is a commodity, not a necessity. It's not food or water to be free-of-charge.

It's not in your human rights to have free quality on games.

If you have a problem with DUAL's quality oriented game designing, go play some free-to-play Korean games. They are a dime a dozen, but don't expect anything revolutionary other than that grinding pay-wall set for you on that "free2play" game.

Cheers, have fun on the pay2win / free2play games.

Twerk  ...  Always his cheerful self...

Don't take it personally.  He's naturally an ahole.  He's this way with everyone!

:P

Actually,  Novaquark has done their homework, and I believe their payment model is exactly right.

Seriously though. Such BS that Twerk gets away with posting shit like this. 

Regarding the OP - please check the many other threads/discussions that address the subscription model. At the end of the day, a single purchase w/ microtransactions is not enough to keep such a large-scale game going multiple years while also not being pay-to-win. Server costs, development costs, admin/customer service--the list goes on. It just won't work, and it's not going to change.

Do know that there is an in-game alternative to buying subscription time called DAC's. This will be an item you can buy with in-game currency and redeemed for 1-month of subscription time. This is a good compromise for the game being subscription based.

This is no solution we have already discussed this, we are very angry with this topic, please read the existing posts before replying as our hands tire of typing the same thing over and over again. https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/1297-no-monthly-sub-please/ note that the orginal post is gone because they saw the only solution; however, your model was there and is disproved in the replies. the one you speak of is F2P or free to play

it is not possible because https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/394-devblog-monetization-player-happiness-and-economic-viability/  

Seriously though. Such BS that Twerk gets away with posting shit like this. 

Regarding the OP - please check the many other threads/discussions that address the subscription model. At the end of the day, a single purchase w/ microtransactions is not enough to keep such a large-scale game going multiple years while also not being pay-to-win. Server costs, development costs, admin/customer service--the list goes on. It just won't work, and it's not going to change.

Do know that there is an in-game alternative to buying subscription time called DAC's. This will be an item you can buy with in-game currency and redeemed for 1-month of subscription time. This is a good compromise for the game being subscription based.

Only a redditer would disregard facts as "BS"...

then goes and repeats my points in his own post, thinking he's better than me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seriously? It's your tact that is lacking, Twerk. And your grammar/ability to form sentences & paragraphs, but that's another problem.

The first thing you say is: "Welcome to the forums. You are a freeloader." That's a real great way to welcome someone to the community...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Schoff is talking about your expert ability to walk the fine line of talking down to people while still flying under the mods' radar.

You are free to make of this whatever you will. I'm not surprised people find your way of communicating offensive, but personally I guess I'm desensitized enough after so many years on internet communities that I don't care anymore.

Seriously? It's your tact that is lacking, Twerk. And your grammar/ability to form sentences & paragraphs, but that's another problem.

The first thing you say is: "Welcome to the forums. You are a freeloader." That's a real great way to welcome someone to the community...

A redditer and a part of the infamous grammar police.

If you are also removing posts and ban people who disagree with you, you get the trifecta bro.

If you need "tact" to state "facts", you are a shy individual without strong opinions and points.

Go ahead, keep rehashing other peoples' arguements. You are a mouthpiece at this point and your post calling my arguements "BS" and then rehashing them and on top of that BACKPEDALING when called out on it, shows your lack of "tact".

I couldn't help but think of this - after of course seeing these kind of threads several times.

flat,800x800,070,f.jpg

No offense, new community member and OP. You are new, you apparently did not see the other threads but it explains why some here react like they do.

I had to look up a translation to "freeloader" to find the fitting meaning (or other meanings) and it's indeed not nice. On the other hand, a player should know that one other user (or a set of posts) doesn't automatically equal an overall community. In short, being insulted isn't nice but assuming it equals the community as a whole at the same time could be more insulting.

At least I read "bad first greeting equals community" in the sentence "That's a real great way to welcome someone to the community" (between the lines).

Moving on, I do suggest using one the existing threads. Active duplicate threads just confuse users.

most of us are a little tired of these theads, but it doesnt mean we can't be civil to new members who post them who may not have realized the horse has been beaten to death already. 

most of us just abstain from replying to them, but some are compelled to reply and generally insult or attack the new member for asking it. 

Even i'm tired of this lol. Was my thread already in the top posts, not good enough for you?

Wheres that guy beating a horse picture when we need it?

I don't drag that out until I start seeing the same users repeat or reatate their own opinions.

Unfortunately in the current market p2p is one of the only reliable ways they can fund a single shard universe where potentially hundreds of thousands of players can gather in a single place. I would go as far as saying that it simply hasn't been done before. Not without multiple servers and instances. Take games like guildwars 2 even with their huge mega servers they still have regions and instances of maps and a limit of how many players can be in the same instance of that map at one time.

Ooops I couldn't read any further, sorry. You said kid? Like not an adult? This game is sensed to be for adults only. Thanks.

I just wish kid's parents would realize that, "Oh hey, my child that hasn't fully understood other people is using the internet! Maybe I should do something..."

But nope. This is what happens, "HOLY SHIT THAT PERSON INSULTED MY CHILD OVER THE FORUMS! I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING! INSTEAD OF TAKING MY CHILD OFF OF IT I WILL NOW NAME AND SHAME HIM/HER!"

Ooops I couldn't read any further, sorry. You said kid? Like not an adult? This game is sensed to be for adults only. Thanks.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I don't know how old kid means (I'm going to guess around 14) but this is not a game for kids. I started playing EVE (whose community is very similar to DU) at 18 and people made fun of me for being a kid, and with good reason. Kids are immature. Games like this are not for kids. Period. I wish parents would realize that and not just expect the gaming community to be a bunch of babysitters. Had a 14 year old in an EVE corp once. He broke the rules and was a dick normal 14 year old, so we kicked him. The kid gets his Mom on mumble .... she starts lecturing about how she paid for the game so we had to be nice or she'd call our moms or whatever. Who cares. Long story short, our CEO ripped her a new poop shoot and we all died laughing and did age checks from then on.

Sorry, back to the topic.

Like people have said, f2p makes for terrible games. The problem is that 99% of the people who say "Let's make it free but have micro transactions to pay for it" don't actually want to pay the micro transactions themselves, just like the OP here. So either the developers get no money and the game crashes and burns or they make the micro transaction relevant to gameplay and the game becomes horrible. Like Twerk said, games are a privilege not a right, and if you can't afford them you can't play them.  The monthly sub is the best/only way this game is going to work.

EDIT 1: The DAC system does allow for people to play free, so if you are willing to put in the work, there is that for you.

EDIT 2: I know the topic has been beaten to death ... I just wanted to share my kid story ><