Destroyed Constructs Drop Materials

We just got an official heads-up that built ships cannot be taken back apart, and that purchased ships cannot be modified (but can be repaired).

Before people simply assume that the prospect of Salvaging ships is dead, lets consider for a moment the following proposed mechanic.

Destroyed Constructs drop some of the materials and items used to build them, plus "scrap" which must be re-refined.

For one, this gives players something to do with that cheap jump-ship they used to reach the next planet after it has become totally obsolete. You won't be able to pull apart the jump ship, and unless you built it, you won't be able to upgrade it. Being able to destroy it for some portion of what it took to build (maybe 1/4th of its materials? perhaps a skill could increase your efficiency here) would prevent players from abandoning old ships or cluttering the market with them.

Pirates will love this, since killed players drop some of their items, why wouldn't a destroyed ship drop some of its cargo? Why wouldn't a destroyed ship be worth SOMETHING?

Useful thread.

And a good idea.

I was thinking along the lines of a recycle element. It wouldnt deconstruct the construct it would just reduce it into basic materials.

But your idea might be easier.

Plus you could say that the "scrap" object relies on a skill to refine (the same skill it would take to refine ore). A character with higher skills would get a better ratio of the raw materials back.

We just got an official heads-up that built ships cannot be taken back apart, and that purchased ships cannot be modified (but can be repaired).

I assume you mean market-bought or Blueprint Copy-built ships.

Plus you could say that the "scrap" object relies on a skill to refine (the same skill it would take to refine ore). A character with higher skills would get a better ratio of the raw materials back.

I like this idea, in general too. You could go and sell scrap on the market, where those with extremely high recycling skill could get a majority of the raw materials back.

For me it's quite disappointing, technically there are a finite number of resources in the universe why would they not have recycling in some form. Why cant a pirate sell a damaged ship he's taken over for scrap? Its incredibly disappointing. Isn't this the 13th millennium and the human race has evolved interstellar space travel but can't seem to figure out recycling even though earth was potentially destroyed over using up all the resources there.

To me it's just another way of submitting to care bears.

To me it's just another way of submitting to care bears.

This thread was partially based on a misunderstanding. Nobody is submitting to anything. NQ has a vision for their game and they are sticking to it. Although they do like community feedback.

The might be some big confusion and hasty conclusion here:

- We are talking here about deconstructing partially or totally a construct, in a clean way, like reversing the construction.

- Salvaging is a totally different thing, that might be implemented later (possibly after official release) under two possible forms: harvesting scraps of a destroyed construct in battle, or "reprocessing" a whole construct meaning scrapping it entirely to take back a good part (not all) of the materials originally used to make the construct.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

I really like the idea of recycling, it would add another facet to the community, another area of expertise available to players. And yeah, the number of resources available is finite, so not having a way to renew used resources could only decrease the available amounts.

We just got an official heads-up that built ships cannot be taken back apart, and that purchased ships cannot be modified

I must have missed that one. Reference?