NQ-Nyzaltar

Kickstarter: What happens if it reaches the goal? if it doesn't?

Hi everyone!

Thanks a lot for your support!

Just to keep you updated about what we are doing "on the invisible side" (because even if it's not visible, we are doing a lot of things!):

- We tried to reach a lot of media and most of them (not all fortunately) have made a policy of not promoting kickstarter campaigns in their article. They accept to talk about gameplay and such, but they don't want to mention Kickstarter.

- We tried to reach a lot of youtubers and most of them want a playable demo and/or something exclusive (which is difficult today because, as you can imagine, it means having a permanent server cluster operational just for demo purpose, something quite expensive that is not in our budget for this early stage).

- A few recent events have made skepticism skyrocketing toward indie developers.

We can understand the reasons of everyone and don't blame anyone for that.

Even if the points mentioned are obstacles, we are not stopping to contact new youtubers and media.

Despite these unexpected factors, reaching the starting goal remains perfectly doable and making 

There are also some good news:

Several indie studios are willing to help us to spread the word about Dual Universe and if all goes well it should give some significant boost in visibility.

One thing is sure: the indie community is really supportive!

With their help and yours, we have a solid hope we can do it! :)

Best regards, 

Nyzaltar.

- We tried to reach a lot of youtubers and most of them want a playable demo and/or something exclusive (which is difficult today because, as you can imagine, it means having a permanent server cluster operational just for demo purpose, something quite expensive that is not in our budget for this early stage).

Here I was hoping there was a way to run a demo version that was offline, or ran on a local machine rather than a server. It's true that it defeats the purpose of the end-goal of the game.

If only there would be a way to set up a temporary server cluster for demo purposes, perhaps for one or two days, but I have no knowledge of the logistics and cost of such a thing.

Here I was hoping there was a way to run a demo version that was offline, or ran on a local machine rather than a server. It's true that it defeats the purpose of the end-goal of the game.

If only there would be a way to set up a temporary server cluster for demo purposes, perhaps for one or two days, but I have no knowledge of the logistics and cost of such a thing.

Totally. Thanks NQ to talk about that now. I mean the youtubers would just go solo or 1+1 in LAN, they don't need a server. It would be a real help if they actually could play the demo. Of course they need not to spread the demo, but you could put some sort of authentication in the demo with codes, just to open once or twice per code... Wait, isn't the game loaded thanks to some server already ? I didn't get that part really well.

Hi everyone!

Just to keep you updated about what we are doing "on the invisible side" (because even if it's not visible, we are doing a lot of things!):

- We tried to reach a lot of media and most of them (not all fortunately) have made a policy of not promoting kickstarter campaigns in their article. They accept to talk about gameplay and such, but they don't want to mention Kickstarter.

- A few recent events have made skepticism skyrocketing toward indie developers.

We can understand the reasons of everyone and don't blame anyone for that.

Even if the points mentioned are obstacles, we are not stopping to contact new youtubers and media.

Despite these unexpected factors, reaching the starting goal remains perfectly doable and making 

There are also some good news:

Several indie studios are willing to help us to spread the word about Dual Universe and if all goes well it should give some significant boost in visibility.

One thing is sure: the indie community is really supportive!

With their help and yours, we have a solid hope we can do it! :)

Best regards, 

Nyzaltar.

If not already I would suggest getting in touch with the folks at ACE (ArtCraft Entertainment), the ones making Crowfall. They ran a pretty successful KS campaign as well as securing funding from investors that agree'd to remain hands off the vision of the game. Might be worth the while to share some knowledge with a fellow Indie dev company.

But yeah I really hope attitudes towards KS and Indie Dev games start to change. I truly believe the MMO genre and gaming in general NEEDS the Indie Devs who are willing to take risks and not compromise their visions, to save it from the same old rinse and repeat cycle its been stuck in for so long now.

We need more.

minichart.png

I am actually pretty optimistic about the campaign. I have a good feeling about the boost in the final 48 hours, when Kickstarter sends out the reminder emails to everyone. Campaigns typically follow a "U" shape, so there's bound to be an extra push at the end. 

We're at the point where if each backer contributed an extra $20 the campaign minimum would be met. In fact if Kickstarter trends are anything to go by, if the campaign raised as much money on the last day as they did the first day, they would easily meet the goal just based on the pledges right now. 

I am actually pretty optimistic about the campaign. I have a good feeling about the boost in the final 48 hours, when Kickstarter sends out the reminder emails to everyone. Campaigns typically follow a "U" shape, so there's bound to be an extra push at the end. 

We're at the point where if each backer contributed an extra $20 the campaign minimum would be met. In fact if Kickstarter trends are anything to go by, if the campaign raised as much money on the last day as they did the first day, they would easily meet the goal just based on the pledges right now. 

I'll commit to an extra 20. I've already done $150, but I can do $20 more

I'll commit to an extra 20. I've already done $150, but I can do $20 more

I shouldnt, but if thats what it takes I will. Guess I'll start getting a second mortgage on the house. :P

Hey Nyzaltar, thanks again for keeping us in the loop.

I realise that setting up a big server system costs money. But wasnt it at E3 where JC had an interview with a youtuber, where JC was running both client and server on a laptop? Perhaps my terminology isnt correct but the youtuber was blown away by this. Isnt it at all possible to set up something similar? Something cheap but it would get the point accros.

And I must admit for me its a nervous and slightly frustrating period, I cant imagine how this must be for everybody at NQ.

I'm also sure if the KS fails (lets hope not) and you set up a campain on the website you will get the funds. Because KS doesnt allow paypal you are missing out on a lot of money.

It is on a good trajectory to target and I think some of the stretch goals will prove easier than anticipated. It is up to us to advertise the game in our various forums. 

I really feel it's unfair to say that people are 'losing faith' because of NMS. I felt it was pretty obvious NMS was going to be an overhyped disappointment right back when they started their first public promotions, and feel that people backed it on wishful thinking and hopes alone in many ways. I can completely understand why people would "cling to hope", and still take a chance with something that likely won't succeed - heck, I've done so myself with another game for that very reason, and as far as NMS goes, I was hoping I was wrong about it. DU on the other hand, actually shows a hell lot more promise, significantly less 'risk', and doesn't set of anywhere near the number of red flags that NMS did.

Though on the flip side, I can also see a lot of people buying into the 'hype' without thought or doing any research. Point remains; I don't feel it's fair to make any calls with any project - ESPECIALLY DU - purely based on NMS's history. Though I'm sure some people do. 

This is sort of off topic but mostly related.

if you don't reach the stretch goals, but do reach 500k are the stretch goal features that may be added in the future as the game generates revenue through subscriptions to fund those goals?

That goes for me as well