Spaceships Control room active Elements brainstorming

Jeronimo

A little push up for dev team to gather ideas from the community about what type of elements would be appreciated to be seen in control rooms of our spaceships

Unlike other topic i would like to structure that one and condensate informations, so that after few posts we dont loose them

I will start with an exhaustive liste of active elements, scripted elements, that players will have interaction with

And encourage everyone to copy past the liste adding +1 on the counter of the elements they like, and add their own elements at the bottom of the list

Eventual comments would be made after the liste has been past

• galaxy scaled 3d radar, with the ship in the middle, discovered planets, and detected other spacecrafts     +1

planet scaled 3d radar, with basic activities on the planet     +1

pilot seat     +1

co pilot seat     +1

automatic pilot control seeat     +1

automatic turrets control seat     +1

communication instruments seat    +1

hull status display screen     +1

fuel status display screen     +1

energy consumption display screen     +1

engine power dsiplay screen     +1

warnings display screen     +1

doors locking panel     +1

cameras screens     +1

speedometer, traveled distance counter    +1

on board detected life forms counter display screen +1

etc...

I think all the entries that are screens should just be 1 screen and the display be controlled by lua scripts so only 1 element is needed to cover all those aspects 

I'd instead suggest different sizes and aspect ratio screens 

If the perspective in ships remains on First Person, it would be great to have the same "turn left, turn right" freedom as in Elite Dangerous, at least, for a ship's commander's ease of read on different things, like fuel, shields and ammo, so they can coordinate the bridge.

I think all the entries that are screens should just be 1 screen and the display be controlled by lua scripts so only 1 element is needed to cover all those aspects 

I'd instead suggest different sizes and aspect ratio screens 

i think the multipurpose screen you are mentioning will be a screen that will only display strings, very usefull aswell for many other purposes, so on them, how to display graphics, like battery life graphic, loading graphic, power up graphics and animate them, etc...

radars also can be displayed on 2d screens, with a list of strings for names and coordinates

CONTROL-719x200.jpg

but there might be a way to implement in the LUA to display different types of graphics instead of  pure strings

the-mine-central-control-room-from-conce

Since each functional element is a component, there should probably be a relationship between components and elements on the monitors that will display the properties of the individual components. Say your starship has 12 power components, you'd want to be able to display maximum output, current output, damage, efficiency and fuel consumption as gauges on a dashboard. The engineer would have to have a way of reacting to these gauges, for example tuning the fuel injectors for better efficiency at different speeds, making repairs, transferring fuel between tanks, etc. We have to consider what the appropriate properties and methods are for each type of component as it gets defined in the game. Higher tech levels, skills and the use of rare elements and materials would allow for components that have superior efficiency, are lighter, smaller, and more durable. I think much of the work in Alpha will focus on components, their properties, methods and interfaces.

Since each functional element is a component, there should probably be a relationship between components and elements on the monitors that will display the properties of the individual components. Say your starship has 12 power components, you'd want to be able to display maximum output, current output, damage, efficiency and fuel consumption as gauges on a dashboard. The engineer would have to have a way of reacting to these gauges, for example tuning the fuel injectors for better efficiency at different speeds, making repairs, transferring fuel between tanks, etc. We have to consider what the appropriate properties and methods are for each type of component as it gets defined in the game. Higher tech levels, skills and the use of rare elements and materials would allow for components that have superior efficiency, are lighter, smaller, and more durable. I think much of the work in Alpha will focus on components, their properties, methods and interfaces.

so for each ship active element there will be their own display element?

thought that will be a lot of work for dev team, but why not.

or, dev team develope a few types of display elements, gauge, loading, pie chart, and leave you the choice to choose the one you want to display the active element you want.

beside, i heard about html5 displays, not sure if they will be scriptable for this kind of things

Solar System scaled 3d radar, with the ship in the middle, discovered planets, and detected other spacecrafts +1

planet scaled 3d radar, with basic activities on the planet +1

pilot seat +1

co pilot seat +1

automatic pilot control seat +1

automatic turrets control seat +1

communication instruments seat +1

Information Screens +1

Captain's Chair, with override controls for any station. +1

I changed the galaxy map to solar system map.