Cities

Cainon

If NQ decides to add personal lockboxes to the game. Wich I think they will then residential areas will be a thing.

In the beginning we will see the evolution from hamlet to village to town to city depending on facilities and population size. But eventually I see no reason why there wouldnt be skyscrapers and such.

You will need a place to store your goods.

I'm more concerned with things like doors and parking space. You'll need to recognise your hovercraft out of a couple of dozen and remember where your appartment is.

Containers are certainly a thing. There's some concept art and 3d models. I think there were some visible in the multiplayer platforms video.

I don't know what uses there would be in having large scale residential areas. Everyone is interested in doing something in DU and it won't involve sitting at an in-game home. Storage spaces or warehouses will certainly be necessary, but I wouldn't call that a home.

No, I would say cities will be comprised of financial, industrial, and municipal sectors mainly, both public and private.

Actually Valenka those things are "energy units"

http://www.dualthegame.com/marmoset/Battery.mview these right?

But there is indeed concept art showing containers.

Anyway I agree that at first cities will be strictly business. But I think at some point people will want some place to call their own. You could rent storage at a warehouse if its something that can be managed efficiently. But centralised goods carry a risk. You could also place market terminals in your house. Or simple crafting elements. Its a question of economics I think.

I'm hoping to see a healthy balance. JC said he would "nudge" certain behaviours to stimulate the rebuilding aspect of the game. I'm hoping ingame housing is one of them.

@Falstaf

No, I really mean containers, not batteries.

Also, my name is Velenka not Valenka.

I don't think that adding artificial mechanics to make residences necessary is a good idea. The point of the game is to let emergent gameplay rise, not to force us down certain paths.

@Falstaf

No, I really mean containers, not batteries.

Also, my name is Velenka not Valenka.

My apologies Velenka. It was a simple typo I did not mean anything by it.

And I thought you were talking about those units because I thought those were in the video you was talking about.

And I am all for emergent gameplay.

But emergent means; a set of simple rules that lead to complex interactions. We both want the same thing. We just disagree what we would like to see? I dont know. There is nothing artificial about people putting containers in their house in my opinion.

I think people will want houses. I dont see the issue. :)

I don't think that adding artificial mechanics to make residences necessary is a good idea. The point of the game is to let emergent gameplay rise, not to force us down certain paths.

I don't see how it would be artificial... it's mostly guess work at the moment since we don't know the exact mechanics that will exist.

But, even organically growing, depending on population density, there will be a residential area that is constructed eventually. Even within an organizations area, they will probably have a shared residence hall, with private chests (if they exists), that is in close proximity to the industrial/market areas (i.e. work areas), etc... It just makes sense to have an area to keep your "personal" collection that is separate from the organization.

So, I see residences as an inevitability in some form. Not everyone will be part of an organization, and if they don't want to spend their resources on building a place (i.e. they're more market focused, or focused on a different aspect), then the ability to *rent* some place to call their own is a added bonus.

And hopefully they don't end up looking like Kowloon City. :/

-M

you have more questions....

- Why not?

- Nothing, except fun building it

- Lure people to it, then kill em there - they will stay forever

- Megalodondollars and Raretium

Just have to say...I lol'd when I read "they will stay forever" ...touche my friend...touche 

• 4 months later...

Adding to what BliitzTheFox mentioned: I watched a brief video about Economies of Scale and found it quite interesting: https://youtu.be/_rk2hPrEnk8

For example, instead of building a refinery on a distant planet, why not just haul the raw ore all the way back to your base on Alioth?

The answer would depend on the cost/difficulty of transporting ore vs the cost/difficulty of transporting the refined product. So something as simple as NQ adjusting the mass/volume of ore vs refined ore could influence where players build things. Expanding that to other things like element production, fuel, and time to travel, it can influence where and if players build cities.

I also think, depending on whats needed to refine, we might see mobile refineries.

Its always the cost/benefit that will dictate behaviour.

Its perhaps cheaper to send processed ore into space than raw ore. So many interesting things to figure out.

If you look into the real world processes required for turning raw ores into usable metals it's of course really complicated with different processes like calcination and electrolysis. Not just heating things up in a furnace and melting it.

Given NQs focus on taking mining mechanics and making them into an interesting gameplay I hope NQ do something similar with refining. Of course any player should be able to build a simple low tier "smelter" and get  usable goods but there should be a mechanic where an org or individual investing time and skill points can build larger more complicated refineries to get greater efficiencies, higher grade metal's and all the advantages of economies of scale.

To get decent results from refining people should have to specialize and trade, having to build refineries are going to be the core of the first settlements.

Perhaps you general purpose smelter that anyone can build will only give you a 40% efficiency and produce a lot of waste "slag"

You would have to build dedicated blast furnaces for each ore and then put it through another refining process to get a pure metal

• 2 weeks later...

I'll admit that I won't mind if my "job" in game is to role-play a dock-worker sorting shipments and drink beer in the dive bar near the dock with other dockworkers. Or fly a food cart around town with oriental foods for sale on a hovership (think 5th Element). 

The only way cities or towns will not happen is when you have an entire world full of special snowflakes. Honestly if these forums is any indication, we're safe to assume we're gonna have cities.

It's pure primal when you think about it. Protection is offered when grouping together, your character needs a place to stay to prevent getting stuck when logging back on and finding themselves buried beneath a construction that previously wasn't there. You need a place to store your goods. Preferably you're gonna want to store your goods somewhere safe, without some griefers to build a box around your container asking you ransom to release it (this is a valid situation in a safe zone).

So you -want- to have a character store their goods in a safe harbour. A safe harbour is synonymous to me to cities in this case, with rental areas. This opens up the fact you need to produce money to pay the rent for your goods until you can establish your own safe harbour or take the risk to travel the unknown to a remote enough area people won't find. Yet, to make that leap you'll offer services aka, do a job. Jobs plenty around a city because it doesn't run itself just by having buildings and roads. 

And before your know it you have a vibrant city with role-players to fill in the gaps of entertainment and creating immersion. 

• 2 months later...

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/11246-city-planning-and-building-layouts/ 

I made a topic about guidelines for city planning based on the layouts of various "best place to live" cities as well as what made them good. I will be adding more parts to this as I complete my research. ]

Real World:

Part 1: City Planning: Transportation Grids and the 5 Minute Rule

Part 2: Building Layouts: The Town in a Box 

Part 3: Power and Resource Management: The Sustainable City. 

DU specials:

Part 4: Fortifications, defences, and the Fortress Town

Part 5: Hover cars and Spaceports: The Future City

So if grids are set out in hex instead of squares buildings would have to be hex unless they are turned 45 degrees to sit end to end in the "lots" would give cities and interesting wheel and spoke design.

Why would the buildings have to be hex? Just because territories are controlled in hex shaped areas (1km wide) doesn't mean you couldn't build houses just as you want. 

Personally I could imagine some orgs building great looking skyscrapers (especially on safe zone) as a headquarters/to show of. I would take part in that. 

Small groups of people will probably be building more like towns then small cities because of the amount of resources to make cities and there maybe a upkeep cost or tax with it? Player cities can play many parts for a guild / Organization from a Simple safe haven to a manufacturing giant that supply's good and materials to the galaxy! There is all so the coolest thing about bragging rights to how has the best cities if your a person into city building. The other possibility feature of the cities is if your a manufacturing giant you maybe targeted by a rival guild /organization adding a whole new dynamic possibility to the game. The two mmo style games with player cities or bases in the open world that inspired me the most and I have fond memories of would be : Star Wars Galaxies and EVE Online!

I think you have to take a page from Minecraft at times. You have to remember you can't compare this to Eve or Real Life always. People will make a big city just because they can enjoy it and will do it. I will myself visit these cities just because I enjoy checking them out maybe even join a group just to help harvest resources and be a labour :)