Cities

Cainon

I have a question why would anyone build a city and what would the city give you as a group of four players decide to build a city. How would you populate it and what resources would you require to run it everyday to keep the city content?

I have a question why would anyone build a city and what would the city give you as a group of four players decide to build a city. How would you populate it and what resources would you require to run it everyday to keep the city content?

you have more questions....

- Why not?

- Nothing, except fun building it

- Lure people to it, then kill em there - they will stay forever

- Megalodondollars and Raretium

Why would anyone build a city? A city allows for the the centralization of infrastructure. So for instance, you would have markets, factories, storage, hangars, living quarters and transportation facilities in a city.

What would a city give a group of four players? Well, you still have to build it so it could have whatever you wanted it to have. Although, with only 4 players, it will probably take a long time to build a "city" (depending on your definition of a city).

How would you populate it? That depends. You'd have to give people a reason to come there.

What resources would be required to run it? At this point, no one really knows.

A city draws people in because of services and because it is cheaper. Services that require many people to be supported can only be in major cities as people have the easiest access to them. Typically in real world cities the first service any town is able to support is a bar (rough population 75-150) and a small town may have two before even a gas station. Bigger services that have more coverage such as lawyers, accountants, specialized dealers all must serve a larger number of people and area in order to stay in business. marketthresholdrange.png

The threshold is the minimum number of customers the market or service needs to remain in business; where as, the range is the maximum distance a customer is willing to travel for a market or service.

you wouldn't drive 30 miles to go to a McDonalds, but you would to go to a lawyer

Its really nice when you actually get to use what you learned in AP Human Geography.

A group of 4 people would not gain much out of building a city (except the satisfaction of building a city), they would do better building a ship large enough to do everything they need to.

A city is more for many players to get together and buy and sell wares, create/do quests, or just hang out at the local bar.  A city outside a safezone will also have more security (or less if you are a bunch of pirates).  A city can also provide parking services for your vehicles which don't log out when you do. Players can make homes near a city so that they spawn near the services it provides.

All the above can be applied to space stations as well.

The Devs are at work to try and implement mechanics within the game that will make it very beneficial and rewarding to build together with other players. Cannot say what they will be yet, but that is what they have said

Just the way that the economy system is slated to work will encourage city-like clusters to form. TU's will allow laws to protect people that dwell there. Those two alone will be a big help for city construction.

• 2 weeks later...

Question. Apart from obvious reasons to build a city like services, market hubs and just the plain old "why not" factor, would the population of these cities have apartments or private quarters? My reason for thinking this is in the teaser video you see great skyscrapers but what's inside them? Ok I assume they are probably solid in the video or just for show. If we're talking about making cities, are we really going to waste resources on building solid structures just for show or would it be viable to be building functional abodes. Again they probably won't really have any function apart from inviting your friends in to teabag each other and other silly shenanigans. With more reason to build personal accommodation we might see cities looking a bit more like the ones intended in the video. Maybe some "rare items" or social activities could be a good reason to encourage blocks of huge skyscrapers in cities or even items like weapons cabinets and trophys to put on show. Also at some point there will become some very rich people that don't know what to spend their money on, this could be a way to show off. I know this isn't really the main point in the game but could this harmlessly add some extra quality to it if not just for a bit of added fun for fairly little expense.

If we're talking about making cities, are we really going to waste resources on building solid structures just for show or would it be viable to be building functional abodes. Again they probably won't really have any function apart from inviting your friends in to teabag each other and other silly shenanigans. With more reason to build personal accommodation we might see cities looking a bit more like the ones intended in the video.

Why wouldn't they be functional? I mean, if you assume the cities are multiple TU's, so you have multiple Organizations, or a large enough Organization that they actually collected multiple TU's, then... you would want functional buildings for your members right?

And assuming that there's a way to make locks, or some other way to give/restrict access to certain areas, you _could_ setup an apartment complex, or hotel, or similar to rent out safe places.

-M

And assuming that there's a way to make locks, or some other way to give/restrict access to certain areas, you _could_ setup an apartment complex, or hotel, or similar to rent out safe places.

-M

That would be a good idea.

Basically I'm getting at having more reason to build massive buildings to accomodate members personal living quarters or even like you suggest hotels ect would just add to the density of cities as a whole and make it appear more impressive.

The biggest problem I see with "cities" is central planning.  They will look ugly without some sort of planning.  

Since it is likely that cities will arise naturally from organizations holding a territory, the leadership of the organization should have some say in what gets built (meaning what doesn't get built).

Even relatively empty buildings can have a function, if only in creating a barrier to the outside world and making more space to hide stuff in.

The biggest problem I see with "cities" is central planning. They will look ugly without some sort of planning.

Since it is likely that cities will arise naturally from organizations holding a territory, the leadership of the organization should have some say in what gets built (meaning what doesn't get built).

Even relatively empty buildings can have a function, if only in creating a barrier to the outside world and making more space to hide stuff in.

Yes I agree. I imagine the area round the arkship will look pretty messy for a while

There is already mechanics on building rights so not too much to worry about there.

With the suggestion of personal locks on doors why not fill these empty spaces with personal apartments for members. You want somewhere to store all your stuff right?even if nothing else.

I trust that alliances who coordinate these larger efforts (there is at least one major alliance planning a larger city) are capable enough to handle that all with minimum standards and quality assurance - at least.

E: There's plenty of tools that help with planning the layout and whatnot. You don't even have to be specifically invested - if nothing else helps, go play a bit of Simcity or Cities: Skylines to get inspiration.

The biggest problem I see with "cities" is central planning.  They will look ugly without some sort of planning.  

TU's will provide a method for managing who can build. And central planning will probably won't start to happen until later in the game, when people know what they need and have the resources to build the city basics quickly. Like Warden said, the larger organizations should be able to handle city-building wit ha decent level of efficiency. 

I can't really see what game-play use an apartment will give but, factories, ware houses, space ship hangers, markets, public meeting places will all be useful things and building them together in a TU where they are protected from casual deletion (but not weapons fire) makes perfect sense. As you can define who is a friendly and who is a bandit and set up turrets/defense shields

In OPs scenario with 4 friends, it probably doesn't make sense to build a city on the surface but it might make sense to build an underground lair. When you start getting orgs of say 20 people or larger you start to have the sort of critical mass that makes it possible to carve out an area relative safety beyond the safe zone.

Yeah, planning the cities is going to be an interesting dimension. 

E: There's plenty of tools that help with planning the layout and whatnot. You don't even have to be specifically invested - if nothing else helps, go play a bit of Simcity or Cities: Skylines to get inspiration.

If that's the case, we'll need to cut off a lot of the roads and build bridges to replace them to keep traffic off the main roads, we'll need a $2.5mil subway system (alongside our extensive, constantly delayed bus services), 6-lane avenues, we'll need to ban trucks from most of the city, about three highway interchanges in a 2km stretch, and a tunnel under the city solely for emergency services to be able to actually reach people in the west before they die. I uh, don't think too far ahead making cities in C:S, but the chaos is terribly fun.

I can see uses for apartments. Easy places to log out (if you have locks and such) and store items (although you should probably be putting your most important items in a bank or something). I can see organisations having large complexes inside their headquarters for meeting the heads of other organisations to make trade deals and diplomacy and such. If there are enough people that want to go that far for immersion.

If that's the case, we'll need to cut off a lot of the roads and build bridges to replace them to keep traffic off the main roads, we'll need a $2.5mil subway system (alongside our extensive, constantly delayed bus services), 6-lane avenues, we'll need to ban trucks from most of the city, about three highway interchanges in a 2km stretch, and a tunnel under the city solely for emergency services to be able to actually reach people in the west before they die. I uh, don't think too far ahead making cities in C:S, but the chaos is terribly fun.

That sounds exactly like how it goes when I play cities: skylines. I normally end up having to demolish whole sections of the city just to redo the roads. I reall hope we don't have traffic jams like that in DU or the highest paid career in the game will be road construction.

Except when you decide to bulldoze jimmies house you have to deal with a real life human that is now pissed off and making a fuss ...... ah politics

Land "owner" and an Eminent Domain policy?

-M

That sounds exactly like how it goes when I play cities: skylines. I normally end up having to demolish whole sections of the city just to redo the roads. I reall hope we don't have traffic jams like that in DU or the highest paid career in the game will be road construction.

Except when you decide to bulldoze jimmies house you have to deal with a real life human that is now pissed off and making a fuss ...... ah politics

Was thinking of this earlier but a couple solutions building up or building down.Design the buildings in such a way that you can stack another floor on when you run low on space,or because this is a game where orbital bombardment is a thing building down into the planet.

On another note as you could end up with cities looking like article-0-12EF340A000005DC-165_964x736.j or something resembling a hive city from WH40k

I can see Jimmies house from there. That picture is a good example of how we would think a city would be. But my point from earlier is if there is no encouragement for personal accommodation, it's unlikely they will look like that. Pretty much every building you see in that picture is residential. Will there be enough industrial and commercial buildings in our city's in DU to look as dense as that, or will they look more like villages or small towns?