Cities

Cainon

I have a question why would anyone build a city and what would the city give you as a group of four players decide to build a city. How would you populate it and what resources would you require to run it everyday to keep the city content?

Well I suspect cities in DU will be like cities in real life, most modern cities were not built by one person and a few others but a collection of multiple people building around the same aria. For example New York was not built by one person but dozens of companies all building along the same area ran by a controlled government.

Yes and while you can randomly choose a place to build a city, its most likely not the smart thing to do.

Just like in real life cities will organically grow around strategic and usefull locations. People will naturally build constructs in proximity to enable trade more easily. And so on.

Random buildings in the middle of nowhere will be the exeption not the rule, I think.

Edit: oh I see there are 2 topics callef cities, little bit confusing.

I believe the devs have also stated that shared defenses will be a primary reason for building cities. If you can get 2 or 3 orgs(market org, manufacturer org, storage for a mining org) to all share space they can share the protection bubble used to stop raiding and looting. Once you have that base of 3 orgs they could maybe rent out space in the protection bubble to a couple of small orgs or maybe a combat/protection org. These small orgs would then build their org HQ in this very strong bubble. Not sure how this will play out but it seems like shared defense could encourage clustering of building.

• 2 weeks later...

I think in the real world it benefits most people to live near to existing human activity. Employers want to set up where the workers are, workers need to go where the jobs are, people want to live near where they can buy things, sellers need to go where there are people who will buy things. People are also attracted to cultural centers and a dozen other reasons to live where there are already people. Most cities are not suddenly or deliberately established, but rather grow steadily over time if the conditions are right.

The kickstarter video mentioned the ability to establish trade centers and make money from commissions, (and that the defensive shield strength would be based on the amount of trade somehow). Some players will want to establish themselves nearby such trade centers, to build their own base, storage, manufacturing, hangar, close to the established trade centers, and every else's base, storage, etc. In addition each group of players will probably build a central HQ base, for a particularly group that central HQ could resemble a city.

One thing that could prevent city building is if the claim system makes it undesirable to build within some one else's claim.

I think in the real world it benefits most people to live near to existing human activity. Employers want to set up where the workers are, workers need to go where the jobs are, people want to live near where they can buy things, sellers need to go where there are people who will buy things. People are also attracted to cultural centers and a dozen other reasons to live where there are already people. Most cities are not suddenly or deliberately established, but rather grow steadily over time if the conditions are right.

The kickstarter video mentioned the ability to establish trade centers and make money from commissions, (and that the defensive shield strength would be based on the amount of trade somehow). Some players will want to establish themselves nearby such trade centers, to build their own base, storage, manufacturing, hangar, close to the established trade centers, and every else's base, storage, etc. In addition each group of players will probably build a central HQ base, for a particularly group that central HQ could resemble a city.

One thing that could prevent city building is if the claim system makes it undesirable to build within some one else's claim.

You mixed something there:

Tradehubs will allow people to make money (cut 5% of all earnings for example). With that money they can buy larger shields to construct and with the revenue they can pay for the materials needed to run the shield