Limiting Script Automation will Hinder Economic Growth

I really don't care much about automated mining, I'm fine without automation. However I will be absolutely distraught if i can't make a mining drill! I want to use vehicles to mine and dig. I want to tether my ship to and asteroid to mine it for resources, I want , to bore large tunnels through mountains with a tunnel boarding machine. I do not want to be limited to the equivalent of a bloody pick axe. I'm sure there would be plenty of social interaction required for a large, safe, and efficient mining operations.

Pickaxe is life, dude.

All discussions about mining are probably going to change once we know how much ore is actually going to be present in DU per planet/moon/ territory tile. Making mining to much a grind will halter the game and i do not mean normal effort but extensive "korean mmo style" grinding. Balancing ores will be the making or breaking of the game. If it takes me a day to get ores to lets say craft a door, the building will be without doors, same for every other element. If building a simple engine takes a week in ore grinding players will leave sooner then Windows 8. I assume NQ knows this.

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2019 at 1:56 PM, Aaron Cain said:

All discussions about mining are probably going to change once we know how much ore is actually going to be present in DU per planet/moon/ territory tile. Making mining to much a grind will halter the game and i do not mean normal effort but extensive "korean mmo style" grinding. Balancing ores will be the making or breaking of the game. If it takes me a day to get ores to lets say craft a door, the building will be without doors, same for every other element. If building a simple engine takes a week in ore grinding players will leave sooner then Windows 8. I assume NQ knows this.

Instead of saying a day could we use hours. As in in game hours of time.

Here's the thing. For one person it should take 10 in game hours to make a small engine. Maybe more so. For one person it should take an hour to make a door. But for a company dedicated to making small engines? They should be able to churn them out by the 100s in a few hours. Then you buy your engine from them to save time. Thats how this game should work. You shouldn't join a sandbox MMO game expecting to craft everything yourself. It should be grind if thats what you want to do to encourage an economy. Otherwise why would you buy goods in the first place?

Very true, but with respect to the weakest link, the speed and abundance of ores that can be mined within a certain speed with a fixed number of players will determine the viability of a lot of other systems. Not the speed you can craft something will be limiting, the speed of gathering the required ores and processing them will be. This will be the case even when you buy all the ores as the price will skyrocket if the gathering speed and abundance is too low

If DU is going to be a free game with a trial period you will have exactly that.

24/7 grinding "Bots" resulting in real money trading gold sellers as allmost all other MMO's have.

The funny thing is that some of those games would probably die without them, some games nobody does the low material gatherings that are still needed but then the goldsellers come in on free accounts and do just that. Later they put it on the market and people actually buy it what generates the "gold"they sell for real cash.

With the proposed DU system, free game and a free trial period there is a posibility we will see them too.