Multi Language Game ?

Rascher

Hey man, you pmd the question to me and I did answer your PM.

At launch it will only be english.

After release they do plan to support other languages. This will require time and money and as such its not going to happen fast. Its a far out goal at the moment.

Oh I see this is an old question, my bad.

Well at least now everyone has the answer. :)

Why not

- Spanish

- Chinese

- Russian

- Joined Slavic language if there is one

- German / Frensh

The to first languages have a lot of people in them

I imagine that since the developers are based in France, the first language that support will be added for will be French. After that, I would bet either German or Russian, followed by Spanish. I doubt there will ever be a Chinese version as China does not allow access to MMOs (Hence why EVE Online has a separate server for China only). 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why not

- Spanish

- Chinese

- Russian

- Joined Slavic language if there is one

- German / Frensh

The to first languages have a lot of people in them

Why not? Because there is no joined Slavic language :D

I vote for Polish, community of space games is always strong among that nation despite the famous phrase... Poland cannot into space

There is google translate that people can and do use and while its not the best its far better than some of the other options out there. It had an API that could be used as well but costs money if you do above x translations or something so its possible but i doubt it will hapen

• 3 weeks later...

There is google translate that people can and do use and while its not the best its far better than some of the other options out there. It had an API that could be used as well but costs money if you do above x translations or something so its possible but i doubt it will hapen

Google Translate isn't exceptionally simple to use from within games (I suppose you could quickly type in the foreign language on a tablet or something) and it's terrible for full sentences in plenty of languages. It would work for a few European languages I suppose, but those are the easiest languages to go to English from and a lot will be officially translated after the initial release.

Google Translate isn't exceptionally simple to use from within games (I suppose you could quickly type in the foreign language on a tablet or something) and it's terrible for full sentences in plenty of languages. It would work for a few European languages I suppose, but those are the easiest languages to go to English from and a lot will be officially translated after the initial release.

It's actually very easy but you have to use the API and not the web app. Also it would have to built into the game in some way

It's actually very easy but you have to use the API and not the web app. Also it would have to built into the game in some way

Or, you know, assign a person on the bridge as coom's officer who can actually speak english to talk things out if there's an issue I mean, voice comms are one discord link away.

Yes, but what about those who are trying to communicate one-on-one outside the logistical resources of a ship and its crew?

For example, I am walking around, and I see someone building a really cool hovercraft. I happen to be looking for one, so I walk over to see if he would be willing to sell it to me. Only then do I realize that his name is written in Arabic, and that he doesn't speak English. It would certainly be useful if I had a means of communicating with him!

Plus, why should we expect players from non-English-speaking countries to find interpreters just so we can talk to each other? What if someone from France wants to talk to someone in Portugal? Or a Russian wants to talk to a Spaniard? People will be playing this from all around the world, and although a "common" communication language would be nice, this isn't real life, and people won't be learning a new language just to play! (Besides, the language would be French, which is ironic given that it was the historical "universal" trade language.)

So, that is why you need more than a bridge officer who speaks English. :)

Yes, but what about those who are trying to communicate one-on-one outside the logistical resources of a ship and its crew?

So, that is why you need more than a bridge officer who speaks English. :)

Unfortunately, as I said, Google Translate just isn't that good for all languages. Even if it were integrated into the game (even though encouraging translating jobs is emergent gameplay) it wouldn't work all the time. For French? Sure, that'd be easy. Not many quirks when translating between French and English, they're quite similar. But with say, Japanese?

ニューヨークへ行ったなのに、飛行機で乗りませんでした。食べたり、飲んだり、話したりしました友達と居酒屋にあるが、残念ながらお酒は水臭い。

Google Translate gives us "I went to New York, but I did not get on an airplane. I have eaten, drunk, talked with my friend in a pub but unfortunately the alcohol is smelly."

While it's mostly correct (GT has gotten to be quite good over the last few years) it's not perfect. The first sentence isn't very natural (something like "Even though I went to New York, I didn't take the plane" is better), the list of verbs doesn't indicate that it's actually a non-exhaustive list of things that may have been done, the translation of 水臭い is incorrect (in this context, "watery" is correct) and it actually ignores that I haven't once specified that "I" am doing all these things. In fact, there's no pronoun at all because Japanese can drop them with the correct context.

Fact is, in the real world, you don't always get a translator and you have to do with hand signals and a few words. That's how the game should work. Are you on a mission, but you've been given some free time in this trading market populated mostly by Russians? You need to either know Russian, or hope no one misunderstands you and shoots.

Communities are a natural thing. Ze Germans will conglomerate, the Russians will and so on. Inside they will talk whatever they want but to strangers it will be english. If someone can't speak english - fyl. Perhaps someone from your community can translate, otherwise you're stuck with writing in GT and copy paste it in-game.

In a world like this it's essential to be able to communicate with others and to me (non native speaker) this language is english. It's the language of this world, deal with it. If you can't speak english in a proper way (or at least in a way that others are able to understand you) - you're either ignorant or your schooling system sucks.

I meant no offense to those who have learned English as a second language, more power to you. It just seems to me that any system, even if flawed, is better than no system at all.

As far as translating Japanese or Chinese goes, it shouldn't be necessary very often since most if not all Japanese / Chinese learn English in grade school. So there's that. :)

But not all languages are as difficult to translate as the Asian ones, and translation software will only improve with time. So, in my opinion (and it's just an opinion, :) ) it would be quite an asset to the game.

• 10 months later...
On 12/25/2016 at 12:02 AM, AccuNut said:

But not all languages are as difficult to translate as the Asian ones

"Difficult" in Western-perspective. Asian-languages have far easier grammar and syntax compare to the outside-languages. Pronunciation? They are easy to pronounce(except Vietnamese because too many Vowel-sounds), they are just different to Western-sounds, it's not impossible to learn. Easiest foreign-language for me to learn outside of English are the Asian-ones. I may sound bias because I'm Asian, but they are not hard compare to French, and even the grammar in Russian(porusski).

The only thing hard about Asian-languages, is the Chinese/Hanja/Kanji-writings because that writting-system is per root-word(many of them you have to memorize and they are not easy. I am half-Chinese, I can tell you the writing is hard). That's it. Grammar is not hard at all(even for Korean/Japanese).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to buy that red-car and this green-car. = jeo bbalgan-cha-gwa i nogsaeg-cha-reul sago sipeo.

(where is the "I"? you don't need to mention the "I" because it is already obvious that it is about you. you are the first-person-speaker making the statement.)

(all modifying-adjective ends in -un/-n if they are noun. Colors are exception, you do not add -un/-n to colors, it sounds wierd!)

("sada" is dictionary-form of "to buy". -go is adjective-modifier to verb to complement another verb. if you want adverb-modifier to noun to complement a verb, it's -ge.)

(-gwa/-wa is the particle for "and". -hago is the particle for "as well as". -irang/-rang is the particle for "with", similar to Chinese "he" if you know what I mean.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there are 2 ways(or more) to conjugate for future-tense ( -eul/-l geo... or -gess...);

I will buy that red-car and this green-car. = jeo bbalgan-cha-gwa i nogsaeg-cha-reul sal geo (yeyo)

(for future-tense, put -eul/-l particle after the verb/adjective and just add -geo.., plus the form. and yes, you must put space between the verb/adjective and -geo...)

I will buy that red-car and this green-car. = jeo bbalgan-cha-gwa i nogsaeg-cha-reul sagesseo

(future-tense is -gess..., plus the form. example is meogesseo, meogesseoyo, meogesseupnida for "will eat".)

there is also an -eul/-l ge (yo), and eu ge (yo) form of future-tense. So you have 4 freaking ways to conjugate for future-tense!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought that red-car and this green-car. = jeo bbalgan-cha-gwa i nogsaeg-cha-reul sasseo.

(past-tense is add -ass.../-eoss.../-yess... depending on vowel-ending of verb/adjective, plus you got to include the form for ending. You don't say saasseoyo, the "a's" merge as one. It is sasseoyo for "bought".)   

(past-tense of -hada is -hess..., plus the form; -hesseo, hesseoyo, -hesseupnida, whatever.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese and Korean are not hard grammatically, and I am not even Korean nor Japanese. It is not hard, except writing Chinese and Japanese, or pronouncing Vietnamese.

I went to Google-translate and translated "I went to school"; What I got from the translation is "나는 학교에 갔다."

That translation is only valid and correct for written-Korean, in other-words, this is how we write in Korean. But that form/conjugation is not correct/valid for spoken-korean(it has to be conjugated to spoken-forms). It's "gasseoyo", not "gassda" ("gassda" is only correct for written-Korean. "gassda" is how you should write in Korean).

So everything you will get in Google-translate is written-form for Korean(nothing for spoken. both are different. if you want spoken-Korean, you gonna have to learn the language yourself or get a human-translator). I don't know about Japanese since my Japanese is crap(it's crap because it's hard to read), but my guess, is you will get the same-thing.

P.S. I know Korean. Ending adjectives/verbs in "-da" is the written-form in Korean, no way do you speak like that colloquially. In Chinese, what you write is what you say colloquially. (I also know Chinese, and better than my Korean)

I can vouch that English to Chinese and Chinese to English translations in Google is very very good and almost flawless(the chinese to english one is a little awkward, but it's still understandable). It's because of the simplicity of the Chinese-grammar, we do not conjugate anything in chinese! the result of this, is a good computer-translation!