Ensuring that Subscriptions are Done Right

TranquilClaws

There are two kinds of subscriptions which I can think of off the top of my head. Monthly subscriptions and hourly subscriptions. The difference is as follows. Monthly subscriptions last for a duration of months after their activation and constantly count down regardless of whether or not the player is online. Hourly subscriptions pay directly for the hours a player can be online, which can be used whenever the player wishes, meaning that you are directly paying for the time you are online. 

The inclusion of both would be very beneficial for creating freedom in choice for purchasing time to play the game. The major difference is that monthly is often cheaper, but doesn't account for players who rarely get on or who get on extremely often, resulting in a less predictable load on the servers. With the hourly system, players directly pay for the time they will be using up server resources, which is more precise and can be saved for when they want to play.

As someone who often plays something a lot but in short bursts, I would prefer the hourly subscription.

There are two kinds of subscriptions which I can think of off the top of my head. Monthly subscriptions and hourly subscriptions. The difference is as follows. Monthly subscriptions last for a duration of months after their activation and constantly count down regardless of whether or not the player is online. Hourly subscriptions pay directly for the hours a player can be online, which can be used whenever the player wishes, meaning that you are directly paying for the time you are online. 

The inclusion of both would be very beneficial for creating freedom in choice for purchasing time to play the game. The major difference is that monthly is often cheaper, but doesn't account for players who rarely get on or who get on extremely often, resulting in a less predictable load on the servers. With the hourly system, players directly pay for the time they will be using up server resources, which is more precise and can be saved for when they want to play.

As someone who often plays something a lot but in short bursts, I would prefer the hourly subscription.

NOT POSSIBLE

You need server resources even when you are offline.

- You train skills, even when you are offline

- Your constructs / ships / bases will still remain in the world, even when you are offline

- Your inventory in some hidden stash will be lootable, even when you are offline

- All you edited in the world (you constructed something, you dug a hole, you built a mountain,...) will still be there, even when you are offline

so you are using server resources.

DU just WILL NOT be possible with your "idea". You have to think that over and perhaps see the whole picture instead of your own, personal, gain.

I too agree with Lethys. All your stuff is taking up resources and you're (probably) training skills most of the time when you're offline. It doesn't make sense to not be charging the consumer for that time.

Too bad the server tech you store your buildings and character in are not rented hourly.

That's what the subscription you pay ensures. That a person pays their fair share of the server hosting cost, as well as the Devs for their work of keeping the game running smoothly and that they add new content in it regularly.

I agree with the others. Even when you are not "playing" your character and assets are using up server resources. Plus it's not like the monthly subscription is expensive. I believe it's going to be about $15 a month, so even if you only  play 10 hours a month (1 hour every three days) then you are only paying $1.50 an hour. I don't know how much you want to be paying per hour, but I can't see paying per hour as being very cost effective. I imagine the average for most people will be around 60 hours a month or so, which comes out to $0.25 an hour. That's pretty cheap when you compare it to other forms of entertainment.