LUA:D Universe? Secret fact about the game logo...

Danger

Before I knew about Dual contouring, I guessed that it had to do with philosophical duality, but I don't see any sign of that in the game - so, OK, maybe it's supposed to be the ideal universe in comparison to real life. That's a better than naming it for a game mechanic, i.e., dual contouring...

But I still lean toward the dual contouring explanation, lol.

Before I knew about Dual contouring, I guessed that it had to do with philosophical duality, but I don't see any sign of that in the game - so, OK, maybe it's supposed to be the ideal universe in comparison to real life. That's a better than naming it for a game mechanic, i.e., dual contouring...

But I still lean toward the dual contouring explanation, lol.

JC Baillie has stated many times that Dual Contouring has nothing to do with the name of the game :P

It may have been something like "Second Universe", although that name would invoke images of furries flying around in Rainbow Dash spaceships, so instead, DUAL Universe.

Just saying.

JC Baillie has stated many times that Dual Contouring has nothing to do with the name of the game :P

It may have been something like "Second Universe", although that name would invoke images of furries flying around in Rainbow Dash spaceships, so instead, DUAL Universe.

Just saying.

Probably exactly this.  There is a game called Second Life, where you live a second life.  They probably didn't want to called it Second Universe for fear of comparisons and called it Dual Universe, so our real universe and the second online one.

Hahaha fair enough. :D

Though duality is a big topic if we quickly reduce it to the basic idea of ying and yang it could still apply to the game, in my opinion.

The tai ji (yin/yang) is very different from duality. The wu ji (oneness) gives rise to the tai ji (polarity in balance). The yin and yang are opposite poles of the same wu ji.

Duality postulates an ideal universe whose elements are ideas which give rise to the physical items of the real universe. It is often misinterpreted as good v. evil (as in the ideal universe is heaven to the real universe's hell)

Probably exactly this.  There is a game called Second Life, where you live a second life.  They probably didn't want to called it Second Universe for fear of comparisons and called it Dual Universe, so our real universe and the second online one.

Linden Labs (Second Life) would almost certainly have sued for trademark infringment if NQ had named it second universe - in fact US trademark law would have required them to sue.

The tai ji (yin/yang) is very different from duality. The wu ji (oneness) gives rise to the tai ji (polarity in balance). The yin and yang are opposite poles of the same wu ji.

Duality postulates an ideal universe whose elements are ideas which give rise to the physical items of the real universe. It is often misinterpreted as good v. evil

I did say reduce. I did not say = duality.

But I was told some time ago that ying and yang arent opposites at all. That they are complimentary forces that just seem to be opposite. I thought that point of view was very interesting.

And I think that there are many intrpretations and misinterpretations of the concept of duality. The way I learned about it is the division between body and mind. Physical vs non physical.

But I dont have any fancy degree so its mostly from reading books. :)

Not your typical forum post, if you want to keep talking about this feel free to PM me.

A fellow Taoist (much as I hate constraining the Way via a name)?